United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 241 of 319
14 March 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
I looked into LSLC a couple years ago, but I was turned off by the fact that their website
looked more like a hyped-up infomercial than the website I would expect for a legitimately
useful language course. However, I've heard a lot of positive reviews since then, so perhaps
I should revisit it. I have the FSI Basic course and have heard glowing reviews of
Platiquemos over the years, so they are definitely in consideration as well (especially now
that I'm reading about people using FSI Basic as audio-only).

I'm not sure what happened to this thread lately. It's no surprise to me when the Team
Gumiho thread is a bit dead as it hasn't been all that lively since the start (sadly), but this
one always was (and has already had more monthly challenges than Team Gumiho). For
reference, Team Gumiho seems to be leaning toward the "two month, 100-repetitions"
challenge that the Chinese team is doing, though the posts were a bit vague on the details.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 242 of 319
14 March 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
If you can, i would honestly recommend Platiquemos over FSI, though in large part they are pretty similar. And i agree with what dbag said, Platiquemos took me from barely being able to say my name in Spanish to being able to watch TV, movies, chat online in Spanish, and eventually to being able to get by living in Spain. I supplemented it with a Routledge's 5000-word frequency dictionary. My Spanish study pretty much started and ended with Platiquemos, after that i just read, spoke, watched movies, and tried to get by in Spanish.

I also started through LSLC but never finished it. It is much more comprehensive than Pimsleur and isn't afraid to tackle more difficult grammar (including the subjunctive). I stopped it because i was enjoying Platiquemos and wanted to spend as much time with it as i could every day. I agree that all the hype (including the name) is a bit offputting, but the course itself is pretty solid.

Edited by Crush on 15 March 2014 at 3:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 243 of 319
15 March 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Last time I was looking for Platiquemos was maybe 3-4 years ago and I remember it was in
that limbo state where you couldn't easily acquire it anywhere (from what I recall anyway)
but I see it is apparently readily available now. The price for the book+CD version is a bit
pricey ($275) but the download and USB versions are much more tempting in price ($125
and $145, respectively). In fact, the downloadable version is barely more than just one of
the four levels of Pimsleur in downloadable form ($119.95 per level from pimsleur.com). I
may have to buy that once I near the end of Pimsleur IV (I'm 10 lessons in as of today).

Platiquemos Link (download version, but has buttons to click to get to the other two):
http://multilingualbooks.com/fsi-platiquemos2.html

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 244 of 319
15 March 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
I must respectfully disagree with Crush. I prefer the original FSI over Platiquemos. It has some significant advantages. Platiquemos cuts out some of the drills. If you compare the texts you can see how much is cut out of the original. The timing for responses of FSI seems more consistent and appropriate. Finally, many of the complaints of the FSI audio on this forum were written before the new audio was put on the free website. The audio is now actually pretty good and often better than the Platiquemos lessons I did.

I do think Platiquemos did a great job adding historical facts, information and images. That is a major plus of Platiquemos. Also, FSI has some drills in Unit 3 where they did not properly put in the prompts.

Both are great courses, but I prefer the original.

Crush, did you really mean that LSLC is more comprehensive than Platiquemos/FSI??? I have never heard that and would be surprised if it is true. I have never seen/heard any LSLC lessons, but would be very surprised if it was more comprehensive than Platiquemos/FSI.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 245 of 319
15 March 2014 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
I'm still here and still plugging away at Spanish. I have been in and out of the hospital the last month or so and have not been able (or very inclined TBH) to post very much, but I'm reading and following!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4215 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 246 of 319
15 March 2014 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
I'm still here! The last two weeks were pretty crazy for me and I didn't do much studying outside of school, but the
next two are spring break so I should have more time for Spanish. March Challenge... hm... a short book or movie
review? description of your family or city? plan a trip to a Spanish-speaking destination? tell us how you spent your
st. Patricks day? write the story of the first time you fell in love (should have been february! haha)? cook a Spanish
dish from a Spanish recipe and tell us about it... in Spanish?

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3793 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 247 of 319
16 March 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I vote for writing something about your city.
I’m going to focus on describing the local arts district.
It can be my writing exercise on italki/Lang-8 too:)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 248 of 319
16 March 2014 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Hmm, i thought i had posted, i guess it didn't make it through. Anyway, James29, you're right, i didn't mean that LSLC was more comprehensive than Platiquemos but rather that it was more comprehensive than Pimsleur, got mixed up on my P's!

I found that the way the Platiquemos lessons were divided up was much more convenient, i could easily jump back to the start of the drill and repeat each drill until i felt like moving on to the next. I also found the story line, while largely the same, a bit less "machista". I can't really remember what else, i just enjoyed Platiquemos much more. Also, what drills does Platiquemos cut out? In the end i don't think it makes much of a difference, as i felt pretty comfortable using my Spanish after finishing the course. Another point in favor of Platiquemos is that it's a bit more portable. You really only need to look at it for the grammar explanations, dialog notes, and the odd word you can't make out. The dialogs at the start of each unit come with an English translation (you're supposed to translate from English to Spanish) whereas the same drill in FSI is a "repeat after me" drill. So for every unit (about 6-7 hours) you only need to look at the book for maybe 10-20 minutes, depending on how fast you read. The rest is all spent on drills.

Anyway, i personally just like Platiquemos better, i think it's the best course i've ever done and it's the course i compare every other course i do to (this course is good, but not as comprehensive as Platiquemos, this course is nowhere near as good as Platiquemos, i wish this course had this from Platiquemos, etc.) :P

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version