Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 249 of 319
16 March 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I can understand. Platiquemos is a very good course and not much different than FSI. It must just be a personal preference thing. The first time I did "FSI" I did FSI for units 1, 2 and 4 and Platiquemos for unit 3. That was a bit lucky because unit 3 is where FSI screws up the prompts.

I happened to notice that the audio length was the same length in both Platiquemos and FSI and I was curious how that was possible when Platiquemos included the conversation stimulus in the audio. I compared texts and Platiquemos just cut out drills from many of the sections to take up the time. Some of the instances it is quite substantial.

Either way, the independent language learner has an incredibly great course available. FSI/Platiquemos is definitely the course out there to measure against.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 250 of 319
16 March 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm still around, and I finally got caught up with most of your logs. :)

I just finished reading the first two books of the Divergent trilogy (in Spanish), and for anyone looking to pick up a relatively easy book, I would recommend them. They are written mostly in first person, and I haven't had to look up my vocab. If you're thinking of doing a Super Challenge, you should check them out.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 251 of 319
16 March 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
As an aside, what has happened to this thread? No one has posted here in about a week. Who is still with us?

Hola! :-)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 252 of 319
26 March 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys!

Since I’ve been having some problems focussing on languages lately, I think it’s time I threw in the towel and downgraded my status from active to observer in both Team Lobo and Team Катюша for the months of March and April. I hope I’ll soon (maybe as soon as May) be back with even more enthusiasm for Spanish/Russian but for the time being it seems appropriate to acknowledge the fact that I’m not working on my languages and I don’t expect the situation to change in the next few weeks. I’ll keep following the Teams and my teammates’ logs, but I don’t want the pressure of having to study when I’m not feeling up to it.

Good luck, everybody!

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 253 of 319
29 March 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Just back from 2 weeks in Spain and am catching up on logs.

Was a March challenge ever decided upon or is it a pulse check to see if we are all still here? Sorry, it was a bit difficult for me to decipher from the posts. It may just be my jet lag. Thanks.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 254 of 319
30 March 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
There was discussion about it, but no consensus that I saw. I guess we should start
working on an April challenge instead now.

On a related note, I seem to be in the odd position where I'm running out of Spanish goals
already for TAC 2014, so I may need to add some (unlike my Korean goals for which I have
plenty left to do). I have the ongoing goals (2 posts per week, team challenges, finding more
"hooks" to keep me actively using the language, etc.) but I finished Destinos a week ago and
will finish Pimsleur IV in 2 weeks. Afterward, that will leave me with Assimil as my only
remaining active study goal. I'm actually tempted to remove a couple of my Korean active
study goals and replace them with Spanish goals.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 255 of 319
02 April 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
[...] I'm running out of Spanish goals
already for TAC 2014[...]

Would you let me suggest "improve production speed"? That would pretty much cascade redefining other goals as necessary by itself... };D

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3846 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 256 of 319
10 April 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,
if it's not too late, I'd like to join the team.. I've been learning Spanish for a year,
but I didn't like the course at university. SO I wanto to start all over. However, I
don't know where and how to start...
Today I also started a learning log: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38545&PN=1

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version