AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3811 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 281 of 319
02 May 2014 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Stelle! Welcome back. I've been checking and checking to see if you were back. You are so inspiring to me and I've been dying to hear about your trip. Can't wait to read about it. (Obviously, you posting a link is not at all annoying to me!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 282 of 319
17 May 2014 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Hola lobos!

Thanks Amy! I did post a trip recap on my log, but haven't gotten around to doing much more yet.

my log
The trip update is post 243.

I've been spending most of my Spanish time reading these past few weeks. I'm about halfway through the second
Percy Jackson book, and I've also been listening to the news in Spanish and reading along with the transcripts:

Democracy Now Espanol - she talks *fast*, with an accent that I
don't recognize, except that it isn't Castillian. I like the challenge of reading and listening at the same time, but I
don't think I'd be able to understand without the transcripts. Updates Monday-Friday.

Amnistia Internacional - slower speech with a
Castillian accent. Full transcripts. Updates weekly.

Thanks to iguanamon for recommending both of those resources!

I'm hoping to carve out more time for watching TV soon. While I was planning on continuing with Buffy (dubbed
in Spanish), I think that I want to try a "real" Spanish show first. I'm thinking about watching Fragiles on Drama
Fever without subtitles.

Fragiles

It's not the kind of show that I generally watch, but for some strange reason I'm intrigued. I'd also like to watch
Aguila Roja, except that I'm not sure if it's in "old" Spanish (like Isabel). If it is, then I'm not sure that it's the best
show for me to watch at this point.

Aguila Roja

What are the rest of you reading/watching/learning?

Edited by Stelle on 17 May 2014 at 1:24pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 283 of 319
17 May 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I'm thinking about watching Fragiles on Drama Fever without subtitles. Fragiles

It's not the kind of show that I generally watch, but for some strange reason I'm intrigued. I'd also like to watch Aguila Roja, except that I'm not sure if it's in "old" Spanish (like Isabel). If it is, then I'm not sure that it's the best show for me to watch at this point. Aguila Roja

I really enjoyed Frágiles and Águila Roja. Águila Roja was actually the first show I watched without subs, because DF didn't have season 5 subbed when I watched it.

I couldn't tell you whether Águila Roja is "old" Spanish or not. I have a really hard time with accented Spanish. (My listening comprehension isn't at the same level as my reading ability. hehe) I followed Águila Roja without subs with little problems, though.

I went back to watch season two of Isabel, and couldn't make heads or tales of it without subs though. I don't know if it was the Spanish or not. It had been a long time since I watched the first season, and it might have just been that I had forgotten who was who, who was on who's side, and trying without subtitles just didn't work. I think with shows like Isabel, it is more important to understand every word, since you are dealing with politics and a word or phrase could change the entire meaning of what you're saying, and there is often a lot of subtext involved.

Edited by Kerrie on 17 May 2014 at 2:11pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 284 of 319
17 May 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi, team! I know I haven't been such a great teammember when it comes to following the log and so on but I've been trying to catch up on the individual logs and I've been continuing with Spanish as well!

So, my recommendations for series:
I had watched dubbed Once upon a Time (Erase una Vez) and Pillares de la Tierra (Pillars of Earth) in past. Pillars are among the more difficult ones, Once is great for intermediates, in my opinion. Now, since the beginning of the SC, I have trie the Game of Thrones (Juego de Tronos) and the dubbing is awesome. Both European and Latin American Spanish. I prefered the voices in the European version though :-) Now, I am watching Demonios de Da Vinci (Da Vinci's Deamons) and it's really good.

If I were to sort these from the easiest to the most difficult:
Erase, GoT, Da Vinci, Pillares

I plan to watch Aguila Roja when I am a bit more ready as it will be my first original Spanish series. You can watch it from anywhere online on the oficial site of the tv channel http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/aguila-roja/

What is Fragiles like? What genre? Do you know of a place where I could watch it, like Aguila Roja? Dramafever isn't available here as well :-( (I hate it, all these streaming services should be available from anywhere for the money. It's like "you are allowed to buy apples but not oranges, those are for americans only") and the pirate sources are much scarcer for the original series than the dubbed ones. Obviously, the Spaniars have good acces to the originals in their country (through sites like the rtve) but no netflix, just like us.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4188 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 285 of 319
17 May 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Right now i'm doing a lot of french reading and Spanish watching for the super challenge. I'm trying to finish up
desaparecida, since i started it in the last 6wc but only got about halfway through. I just watched the episode where
they find out who the murderer was :O that means only three to go! Then I'll probably turn to Isabel, and some
movies. I'll be sure to post updates if they're any good!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 286 of 319
17 May 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

What is Fragiles like? What genre? Do you know of a place where I could watch it, like Aguila Roja? Dramafever isn't
available here as well :-( .

Thanks for the recommendations!

I watched the first episode of Fragiles today, and really enjoyed it. The main character is a physiotherapist who uses
unconventional methods to get to the bottom of his patients' suffering. Interesting!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where you can watch it online...

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 287 of 319
17 May 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Try this site for Frágiles and maybe some other stuff. I bookmarked it when I was looking for the second season last year. I haven't really watched anything there, so I can't vouch for the site, but it appears to work (at least for me in the US). They have some other stuff, too. :D

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 288 of 319
17 May 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. It looks really interesting (sounds like senor House, physiotherapist :-D )
But the site doesn't let me watch from outside Spain :-( I'll need to get an alternative. But still great to get ideas for what to get elsewhere.

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version