forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 289 of 319
18 May 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I couldn't tell you whether Águila Roja is "old" Spanish or not. I have a really hard time with accented Spanish. (My listening comprehension isn't at the same level as my reading ability. hehe) I followed Águila Roja without subs with little problems, though.

I went back to watch season two of Isabel, and couldn't make heads or tales of it without subs though. I don't know if it was the Spanish or not.

The Spanish in Águila Roja is as accentless as it gets (i.e. it pretty much matches what you would hear in Valladolid or Salamanca), and I expect the Spanish in Isabel to be a close match--I have seen just a couple of trailers so I may be wrong. However, that's not Old Spanish, but rather a mixed bastard hybrid between modern Spanish used right away and what a bunch of illiterate monkeys think Old Spanish would sound like when they think they should throw in the occasional 'olde worde'. I would say the series is as accurate linguistically as it is historically -- totally unrelated to its being fun or why it is ;)

One quick giveaway of more or less correct Old Spanish is the use of formal ways to address people: "vuestra/vuesa[s] merced[es]" or even "vusted[es]" + verb in the 3rd person, or "vos" used with a 2nd plural conjugation* (tú + formal -> plural (vosotros) -> vos). Did you see either in Isabel?

There are of course others like word-initial "f"s that have disappeared (ex: facer vs. hacer) and frequent yet slightly 'odd' word choices, but I don't think you'll be very interested in these until you're really advanced.

*Instead of the modern Argentinian "vos" ("vos podéis" vs. "vos podés")
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 290 of 319
18 May 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

One quick giveaway of more or less correct Old Spanish is the use of formal ways to address people:
"vuestra/vuesa[s] merced[es]" or even "vusted[es]" + verb in the 3rd person, or "vos" used with a 2nd plural
conjugation* (tú + formal -> plural (vosotros) -> vos). Did you see either in Isabel?

I'm certainly not suggesting that Isabel is historically or linguistically accurate! Ha! But yes, there was a lot of use of
"vos" in the show, and also (I believe) using the vosotros conjugation of the imperative when talking to only one
person. I really enjoyed the show. It was engaging and addictive. But I watched it when I still needed subtitles, so I
wasn't really worried about the finer points of the language.

Edited by Stelle on 18 May 2014 at 2:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 291 of 319
18 May 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
I couldn't tell you whether Águila Roja is "old" Spanish or not. I have a really hard time with accented Spanish.

The Spanish in Águila Roja is as accentless as it gets

Oh, I didn't mean like that. I am just not as familiar with (listening to) European Spanish as I am to Latin American Spanish. :)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 292 of 319
24 May 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Hola lobos!

Does anyone use italki tutors to practice their Spanish? Italki is running a challenge from June 1st the July 31st.
To participate, you have to pledge 20 dollars, but if you complete 25 hours of tutoring in 2 months, you'll get
your 20 dollars back, plus a 40 dollar prize. For me, it's well worth it! Right now, I meet with a tutor once a week
for an hour. I'd like to up that to two hours of Spanish per week, and an hour of Tagalog.

You can get a Spanish tutor for as little as 5 dollars, although I haven't had much luck with the lowest-paid
teachers. (And the teacher in me cringes at that price, to be honest.) My favourite tutors charge between 9 and 13
dollars per hour, which is still *ridiculously* reasonable for a well-qualified teacher. If you're looking for any
recommendations, let me know!

Oh, and if anyone wants to see a few pictures from my trip to Spain, you can see them here:

camino

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 293 of 319
25 May 2014 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Stelle, I am very keen on that, as I am going to Sevilla at the end of the month and need to get some speaking practice in! Could you send me some recommendations please? I certainly don't mind paying for quality.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 294 of 319
25 May 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
My favourite Spanish teachers on italki are:

Auri
and
Mati

They're actually the very first two tutors I tried last year when I started learning. While I've had sessions with several
other teachers since then, Auri and Mati are still my favourites. I Skype weekly with Auri, since her schedule is a bit
more flexible. Mati is only available while I'm at work, so I only talk to her on holidays now.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 295 of 319
25 May 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Oh, and lobos…today is an exciting day for me. I have officially moved Spanish from "studies" to "speaks" on my
profile!
4 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 296 of 319
25 May 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I have a feeling your standards for "speaks" are much higher than mine. You are way more advanced in Spanish than I am...

I have had about ten iTalki sessions with a few different teachers. My first class with Mauro is on Tuesday morning.

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version