tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 297 of 319
26 May 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Haha, I have a feeling your standards for "speaks" are much higher than mine. You are way
more advanced in Spanish than I am...

I have had about ten iTalki sessions with a few different teachers. My first class with
Mauro is on Tuesday morning.

Yeah…it took me a long time to decide that I can speak Spanish now. But if a Spanish-speaker comments on the
fact that I can speak, my answer is always the same: "Estoy aprendiendo." Ha!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 298 of 319
11 June 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
¡Hola lobos! ¿Qué pasa?

This thread has been so quiet… I know that many of us are reading each others' logs, but is anyone interested in
sharing a quick update here? What are you working on right now? What are your goals for the upcoming summer?

I've pretty much transitioned to using only native materials - not because I don't need to "study" anymore, but
because for some reason I just can't make myself do it right now! Ha!

I'm reading the third Percy Jackson book, and should be finished with that by the end of next week. My goal is to
read all five books in the series by the end of the summer.

I've been watching Fragiles on DramaFever. It's a really great show! I've also been watching Los Simpsons now
and then. I'm not sure if I'll make it through the whole series. It's really loooooong! But each episode is about 22
minutes - very easy to fit into a busy schedule.

I've put away Buffy for now, although I do plan on coming back to it eventually. Once I finish with Fragiles (I think
I only have 3 episodes left), I might try Planet Earth in Spanish. I love nature documentaries, and I'm curious to
watch some in Spanish.

Other than that? Hmmmm…Democracy Now daily, clearing out my anki deck (which takes me about 5 to 7
minutes), one weekly Skype sessions…and that's it!

What are the rest of you up to right now?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5180 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 299 of 319
11 June 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 

I am still around, and working on the Super Challenge for Spanish. Right now, I'm reading The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova), which I'm really enjoying.

I'm in the middle of too much "real life" right now to be actively studying anything. Hopefully once I get moved and unpacked (in 2-3 weeks, if things go as planned) and the dust settles, I will be able to update more.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5160 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 300 of 319
12 June 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
I'm here too... still practicing Spanish a bit every day... trying to do a bit of reading and TV every day. Hitting this plateau is quite a drag. I'm enjoying doing things in Spanish that I cannot justify in English... like watching new TV series. I love watching The Firm. It is extremely well written and I am always on the edge of my seat. Stelle is right about the Simpsons... great to fit into a busy day, but 24+ seasons! I won't finish it for another year and a half at the rate I am going.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4213 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 301 of 319
12 June 2014 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I'm finishing up my last year of high school Spanish with a final exam next week, but i'm not worried at all. next year
i'm hoping to take a Spanish literature course in university, assuming that my placement test score is good enough,
since its a second year course.

at the moment i'm rushing to finish some french books so Spanish reading is on hold, but next week or the week
after i'll get back to it with some books from my local library. That'll get rid of the last 0 on my super challenge
chart! i'm embarrassed I still have one! since i've recently finished desaparecida i'm looking for a new tv series to
start. probably isabel, or maybe fragiles, since i've heard so many good reviews recently. i'm glad that they only have
one or two short seasons each - much more manageable than the simpsons!

i've had two opportunities to practice Spanish recently. i was at my friends house for dinner and his other guests
were from ecuador. once the husband heard that i'm learning Spanish he started asking me questions, and i
understood everything and was able to respond! of course, it was simple stuff about the food and the weather, but i
was still proud of myself. then at a friends party on the weekend i had plenty of chances to eavesdrop on
conversations, since about 1/4 of the guests were native speakers and another few were learning, but i didn't get up
the nerve to interrupt any of them. at least i know that i can understand full speed native Spanish in a "real" setting
without any difficulty =)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 302 of 319
13 June 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I'm still here, though I'm making much more progress with Korean than Spanish lately.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4407 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 303 of 319
13 June 2014 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
I'm another one doing the Super Challenge, so not actively studying grammar at the moment.

I just started watching a silly but fun comedy series from Spain called Flaman (on youtube) about a teenager with
super powers. I can't remember whose log it was where I saw the recommendation, but it's a nice diversion from
the more serious content I've been reading lately.

So is World Cup, which is big at my house right now. There's a ton of stuff to watch/listen to/read on that topic.
I need more hours in my day!

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3844 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 304 of 319
16 June 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Hola a todos!

I've been doing the 6WC which motivated me to do some courses and grammar. I'm also
participating in the Super Challenge and therefore I'll focus reading and watching now
the 6WC is over.
I try to practice with anki every day.
The last two weeks however were very stressful, both at univeristy and private, so I
actually only read because I had to travel a lot by train and had much time to read
there.

I still want to continue with the courses and I still haven't really started LEARNING
past tenses yet. I've read a bit about the different tenses, but that's it. I just have
too much going on, so I decided to focus on SC because this it no real learning but it
still is VERY useful. I'm currently reading Charlie y la fábrica de chocolate.
As films I watch Destinos.

I hope that I can do a bit more once all my laboratory courses end, but I'm afraid I'll
use the time going outside with friends and enjoying the sun or whatever, so I've got
no time agaian :D

I also didn't have the opportunity to continue reading logs... I might continue once
lab coureses are over, too..

Even with this on and off style of learning I think I have gained a lot from TAC and SC
so far. Not really for the speaking part, but I'm more a person who wants to understand
everything first, and then talks. Looking forward to spain. Maybe I have the courage to
use my Spanish then. Maybe not. But either way I'll be in a smaller town where the
people talk mainly Spanish, so I listen to real Spanish (or catalan which might be
quite difficult and maybe causes confusion).

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version