11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 11
14 December 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
See this wikia article, including the links at the bottom.

And here's a thread about 1st person books.

One more factor is your familiarity with the culture, whether real or fictional. Reading L2 books taking place in L2 culture sounds great in theory, but I find that familiar cultures make me feel more comfortable amidst all the unknown words, and it can be easier to tell if I just don't know the word/grammar or it's something cultural. This was what finally helped me start reading in German - a book translated from Finnish. Fictional cultures (HP, LOTR...) only have this effect if you already know them, rather than are discovering them via L2. So I love reading books translated from Finnish or Russian (I own some in German, Italian, Spanish, e-books in Croatian, Polish and Belarusian, audiobook in Romanian).

Of course it's great to learn the L2 culture through L2 books, but I find it's better to do that when you're already comfortable with the language.

Edited by Serpent on 14 December 2013 at 6:47pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tea oolong
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4203 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Korean*

Message 10 of 11
15 December 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 

Thanks for the advice. I am currently reading a translated novel but I won't tamper with
any dictionaries until I begin my second go around the book. In hopes this book should
take a week to finish, I believe I have the patience to reread it.

I will have to try the e readers, as I have a mild aversion to reading books from a
tablet. It's difficult for me for attempt reading Korean from the internet. Print helps
me catch overlooked words for whatever reason.
1 person has voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4584 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 11 of 11
15 December 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Reading books may be a problem. A book for language learning should be written in
contemporary and relatively easy language. I believe it is not necessary to look up
every unknown word. You can guess a lot from the context and you can skip some words,
because they are not necessary for understanding (for instance, one does not know
exactly the names of flowers or trees etc.)

I would read some parts intensively, I mean here I would look up every word. If you
have a frequency dictionary (or frequency marks in a common monolingual dictionary),
learn the frequent words. The less frequent words do not learn intentionally. You can
memorize the words and you can read these parts of the book several times (not the same
day, of course). In other parts of the book you can read without dictionary. Or look up
only some word. The more frequent ones or those necessary for understanding.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version