ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 164
14 December 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Ciao a tutti!

I've volunteered to lead an Italian team for TAC 2014, so here it is!

Anyone who wants to be on the team, feel free to join, introduce yourselves, suggest resources, and anything else.

Godmother: suzukaze

Members

garyb (leader)
agantik
agta
Ccaesar
corjine
danyal
kanewei
Luso
Penelope
Serpent
sillygoose1
StarcrazyAngel

Observers

DamedesLangues
Kerrie

Edited by garyb on 10 July 2014 at 11:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 2 of 164
14 December 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Italian Resources

Do you have any favourite sites or other resources for learning Italian or for finding things to read or watch? If so then please let me know and I'll add them to the list!

Recommended courses

Michel Thomas Italian: a popular course that teaches the basic structures of the language. A good way to get started, especially if you like to learn grammar and structure first.
Assimil Italian with Ease: an HTLAL favourite; Assimil courses are based on dialogues along with explanations and reviews. This course takes you to a level where you can manage conversations and enjoy some native materials.

Websites for learning and study

WordReference Italian/English: Dictionary and verb conjugations. More complete than any paper dictionary.
Corriere dictionanary: Italian-only dictionary.
Pons Dictionary (Italian <-> English/German/Polish/Slovenian)
Italian grammar explanations
Italian verb conjungations: WordReference already does this, but some might prefer the layout of this site.
Accademia della Crusca: An institution that regulates how correct Italian should be written and spoken, similar to the Real Academia Española, Académie française, etc. If you have a doubt about a particular grammar aspect, the Accademia is the most distinguished source you can check out. Grammar aside, the website is filled with articles about the Italian language, its history, word etymology and much more.
Transparent Languages Italian Blog: A blog aimed at learners with a lot of interesting content about Italian culture, in a mix of English and Italian.
A1-B2 Italian courses on the RAI website.

News and politics

La Corriere della Sera: Probably the most well-known Italian newspaper.
La Repubblica: Popular newspaper, although I find it a bit sensationalist. If you fancy reading some articles about murders or the Mafia or Berlusconi.
Linkiesta: Another news site which I'm told is considered higher quality. A lot of politics.
Quattro Gatti: Interesting presentations about societal and political issues in Italy.
Zinio: To buy digital editions of Italian magazines for Android, iOS and PC.

Blogs etc.

Lercio: Satirical news site, think The Onion etc. although the Italian satire is a bit less... subtle.
Diario di una studentessa matta‎: Blog by a very enthusiastic American who studies Italian and has spent a lot of time over there. Be warned that the Italian, while quite good, certainly isn't quite native-like and I've seen my share of basic mistakes and overly English-influenced sentence structure on there, so don't consider it as native input! But it's still worth a look if you take it for what it is, as it has some interesting and fun articles and her passion is inspiring.

TV, film, video, radio

RAI: The site of Italy's main TV and radio network. Lots of shows and radio programmes and podcasts on all sorts of subjects, although some of the TV shows can only be watched from Italy.
Mediaset: Another big TV network, and you can find episodes of many popular shows of questionable quality on here, such as Camera Café (comedy with short episodes), Striscia La Notizia (news/satire), I Cesaroni (family comedy/drama), Uomini e Donne (reality)...
Frank Matano, Willwoosh, Daniele Doesn't Matter: YouTube comedy videos.
Radio Italia: Radio station that plays only Italian music, unlike the RAI stations etc. which play lots of English music, but also has talk.
Radio Kiss Kiss Italia: Another station that plays only Italian music, but this time it's all music and no talk, and the music is a bit more mainstream and less varied.
Tune In Radio Italy: To listen to Italian radio stations by region. Might be useful if you wanted to train
your ear to the accent spoken in a particular part of the country. They also offer a free and paid app for smartphone and tablet. Paid app allows you to record radio to listen to offline.

Social media

Insegreto: a site particularly popular with teenagers where people anonymously post their secrets. Not one for the faint-hearted, but it's a goldmine for everyday language and slang, particularly sexual slang, and I also mostly learnt the passato remoto from it...
Il Coinquilino di Merda (Facebook page): Funny stories of flat-sharing experiences; another good one for everyday language. There's also a whole bunch of similar pages, such as "Il Ragazzo di Merda".
Notifica (Facebook page): Italian internet memes. Another one worth following if you want a bit more Italian on your news feed.

Edited by garyb on 15 April 2014 at 11:26am

7 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 3 of 164
14 December 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Anyway I'll start by introducing myself:

EDIT: Might as well do it in Italian, following corjine's example below me! Members, feel free to introduce yourself in one or another or both, as you wish! And feel free to correct me.

Io sono Gary, sono scozzese, e ormai imparo l'italiano da due anni. Secondo me ho forse un livello "B2 basso", cioè me la cavo bene in conversazione ma non parlo ancora correntemente, e gli argomenti più avanzati sono a volte difficili. Il mio scopo è di avere una migliore capacità di conversazione. Quest'anno ho passato due settimane in Italia, e mi piacerebbe tornarci presto!

I'm Gary, I'm from Scotland, and I've been studying Italian for two years now. I'd say my level is probably "low-B2": I'm quite conversational but not exactly fluent, and discussing more advanced topics can be difficult. My main goal is to be able to converse well. I spent two weeks in Italy this year, and I'm keen to visit again soon!

I've not created a 2014 log yet, but I will do at some point next week.

Edited by garyb on 14 December 2013 at 5:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

corjine
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3801 days ago

55 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 164
14 December 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Ciao a tutti! Mi chiamo Leslie, e sono Americana. Ho studiato e imparato Italiano per
circa 3 mesi, adesso. Mi piace questo lingua perche' e' bella ascoltare e a parlare.
Spero imparare molto Italiano con tutti! Voglio conoscere tutti. Buona fortuna a
tutti!

(Sono una principanta, cosi' corregete i miei errori, per favore!)
--

Hello everyone! My name is Leslie, and I'm an American. I have been studying and
learning Italian for around 3 months, now. I love this language because it is
beautiful to listen to and speak. I hope to learn a lot of Italian with you all. I
want to get to know you all. Good luck to everyone!

(I am a beginner, so correct my errors, please!)

Edited by corjine on 14 December 2013 at 5:13pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 164
14 December 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Buona sera :) Ultimamente l'italiano è stato la lingua più importante per me. Nel 2014 forse non sarà così, comunque voglio essere parte di questa squadra.
4 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 6 of 164
14 December 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to sign up!

Anche se no ho studiato l'italiano da 6-10 mesi e ho fatto molto poco a causa di francese e spangolo, posso capire qualche programmi di radio e leggere libri come Harry Potter con un dizionario. Spero arrivare al livello C1 per la fine di quest'anno.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 14 December 2013 at 5:12pm

corjine
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3801 days ago

55 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 164
14 December 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
E' possibile per voi a usare "Google Hangouts" o "Skype" a praticare con altro?
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 164
14 December 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Ciao. Mi chiamo Henrique e imparo l'italiano da tre anni. Non voglio presentarmi in un modo troppo noioso perché dopo dovrò scrivere lo stesso in inglese. Auguri a tutti!

Hi. My name is Henrique and... oh, this format is tiresome. Suffice to say that I hope to build a good team spirit here and that I wish you the best success, both in this group and outside of it.

Edited by Luso on 14 December 2013 at 6:11pm

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version