universityofbrokengl
Joined 5707 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 33 of 204
22 December 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Speaking of challenges: is there any student of Portuguese who would like to be a
guinea
pig by trying to understand some short chronicles and tales about daily life in Brazil?

I wouldn't mind either, despite my extreme beginner status.
1 person has voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5707 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 

Message 34 of 204
22 December 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Hey guys! I'd like to say a big welcome to all the new members of our team! I'm also
very happy to see that several high-profile forumers have signed up as well. ;)

A few quick things.
1) If you would like to continue using your existing log, please drop a line in this thread.
2) Is everyone happy with our current team name?
3) Would you like to have some sort of challenge every month, like maybe reading a short story/novel?
Personally, I like discussing the things I read, and I think it would be a good way of keeping
participation/motivation levels high.

I'm sorry for this late update, but my workload has doubled in the last two weeks, and I'm still trying to get
used to this new schedule.

I've already posted my TAC2014 log link earlier.

I like Iberia as a name, despite it not being limited to Iberian dialects.

Challenges would be great!

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4849 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 35 of 204
23 December 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
I'd like to join this team with Spanish, currently beginner, aiming for intermediate; my log.

I'm also studying French, German, Japanese, Ukrainian.
My priorities for this year are on consistent progress in Spanish, French, and German at the same time.
I'm not focusing on active skills at the moment, though I might be more comfortable with that later in the year, if my language skills improve.
I'm not planning to update my log a whole lot, maybe weekly progress reports, more if I decide to practice writing.

Looking forward to the TAC experience!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4969 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 36 of 204
23 December 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I thought of Team Tordesilhas. It's big, but you don't have to list all of your teams'
names at your log's topic, after all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5864 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 37 of 204
23 December 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I thought of Team Tordesilhas. It's big, but you don't have to list all of your teams' names at your log's topic, after all.

I think it's brilliant: it identifies both countries, as well as their former colonial empires and language diaspora.

"Legal, cara!" PT-BR
"Boa malha!" PT-PT
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5065 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 38 of 204
23 December 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Good name, Expugnator! Tordesillas/Tordesilhas divided the Americas between Spain and Portugal and can unite all of us who love the languages that originated in the Iberian peninsula. Still, the name doesn't matter as much as the membership. We've got a good mix of beginners and experienced members. We have two native-speakers of Portuguese who know a thing or three about learning languages. We still need a native Spanish-speaker. If Mr. Warper can't be persuaded to join, perhaps we should reach out to some others. Nicozerpa comes to mind. He's a native Spanish-speaker who has learned Portuguese.

I feel we have a good opportunity with this team to provide some very valuable advice and help to each other.

Edited by iguanamon on 23 December 2013 at 4:23pm

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5707 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 

Message 39 of 204
23 December 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Good name, Expugnator! Tordesillas/Tordesilhas divided the Americas between
Spain and Portugal and can unite all of us who love the languages that originated in the Iberian peninsula.
Still, the name doesn't matter as much as the membership. We've got a good mix of beginners and
experienced members. We have two native-speakers of Portuguese who know a thing or three about
learning languages. We still need a native Spanish-speaker. If Mr. Warper can't be persuaded to join,
perhaps we should reach out to some others. Nicozerpa comes to mind. He's a native Spanish-speaker
who has learned Portuguese.

I feel we have a good opportunity with this team to provide some very valuable advice and help to each
other.

Personally I'd prefer a more apolitical name. Thru treaty of Tordesillas was a key point in which the
colonial empires of Portugal and Spain were formed, leading to the genocide of indigenous populations,
slave trade, etc.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 40 of 204
23 December 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
MrWarper actually said he'd be the godfather for both Spanish teams.

Tordesilhas is a wonderfully huge name :P I admit I know nothing of its political history though :/

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version