Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3758 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Korean, Polish

Message 1 of 5
14 December 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
My name is Marina, and I'm currently a second year linguistics major at UNC Chapel Hill.

I'm pretty excited to begin using this forum, especially since I'm in that weird transition period between languages.
I've been formally studying German for the past 5ish years, and studying Korean for about 2. Since I'm pretty
comfortable with German and only have one more currently offered Korean course left at my school, I've decided to
start up with Polish, and possibly some Turkish as well. (And Old Norse, next fall semester!)

I've got my hands on a copy of Polish: A Comprehensive Grammar by Iwona Sadowska, and today I began working
my way through the pronunciation and spelling section before really diving into everything else (ugh my heart is
speeding up just thinking about it....the excitement, you guys. Pretty sure this is what being in love feels like,
right?)

If you have any suggestions regarding either Polish (or Turkish), I'd love to hear them. I would also be very
interested in any correspondence and/or partner learning in any of the languages I've mentioned. My skype name
can be found on my profile, so feel free to add me.

Besides languages, I'm also a big fan of Star Trek, books, British comedy, and lots and lots of coffee. Nice to meet
you all!

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 5
14 December 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Witaj! / Hoş geldin!

When it comes to getting started in Polish or Turkish, check out the following:

Question on Turkish
Advice for Polish?

There are several other related threads but I think that these are as good as any of the others.

If you're really interested, there's always a place for you on the study teams in 2014 for Polish & Ukrainian (name to be determined) and Turkish (Yürükler ~ "Wanderers").
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5865 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 3 of 5
14 December 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Cześć minrina!
Welcome to the forum.

Advanced Warning: This is a highly addictive forum. In case of emergency; learn another language!

It's great that you're learning Polish. Here's the Polish Profile that contains lots of useful links.
I've not heard of the book by Sadowska, but the University of Pittsburgh Polish Site is a goldmine of reference material including a comprehensive on-line dictionary with all conjugations and declensions. I refer to it pretty much everyday.

Several members have started language logs and there is a Polish Team which gives links to them. By the way, this team is likely to dissolve at the end of the year. But there is an emerging Polish-Ukrainian Team which you could join if you want. By joining, you would to start your own language log and support your teamates. It's a great way to get involved.

I can already see your coffee intake rising!
Good luck and see you around.

Edited by Mooby on 14 December 2013 at 11:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5865 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 4 of 5
14 December 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Oh, Chung beat me to it!
You'll have to join now!!

minrina
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3758 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Korean, Polish

Message 5 of 5
14 December 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Mooby - wow, you weren't kidding about the University of Pittsburgh site being a goldmine. Thanks so much! Yep,
I see a large pot of coffee paired with that website in my very near future (probably like ten minutes in the future to
be completely honest, I'm not the most patient person).

I think I definitely will have to join the team! Sounds like good motivation and support. I'll head over there and take
a look around. Maybe I'll even do the Turkish one.

Thanks to both of you for all the tips! :D

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version