Joined 3801 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 39
01 January 2014 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
祝你新年快樂!萬事如意!(traditional characters)
祝你新年快乐!万事如意!(simplified characters)

= Happy New Year! May all your wishes come true!
1 person has voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4484 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 10 of 39
07 January 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Hello. So, the flu hit me on 1/2/14 and hasn't let up. I must confess to no Mandarin study for the last 6 days. I'm going to turn this around and get back in the saddle. I plan to power through MT today and start fresh tomorrow!

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 

Message 11 of 39
08 January 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so I didn't make it through MT like I wanted to. I was able to get through disc 4 and will be listening to disc 5 today. Additionally, I did some ANKI reviews and about an hour of vocab/phrase Pinyin study.

I'm starting to feel like I am in over my head. I feel like I would have progressed leaps and bounds over my present level in almost any other language, but I know it's early and I am determined to persevere!

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 

Message 12 of 39
14 January 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
So, at what point does the "veil" begin to lift on Mandarin? I am really starting to get discouraged. I keep looking for that "Ah-ha" moment and it doesn't feel like I'm ever going to find it. Any ideas on how to stay motivated?

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4315 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 39
14 January 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
So, at what point does the "veil" begin to lift on Mandarin? I am really starting to get
discouraged. I keep looking for that "Ah-ha" moment and it doesn't feel like I'm ever going to find it. Any ideas on
how to stay motivated?

I am sure it depends on the individual, but for me it took a long time and I also felt quite discouraged because of it.
However, the little milestones do become huge encouragements, so look for the little things. For me now it's great
when I understand a phrase in a TV show, but at first it was just recognising a word, or being able to write a phrase
with characters or read a phrase. Maybe it's worth changing the way you study, use a different book/audio or
something. Try changing it up a bit. Keep going, it will be worth it in the end (or at least that's what I keep telling
myself)! 加油!

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3801 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 14 of 39
17 January 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
So, at what point does the "veil" begin to lift on Mandarin? I am
really starting to get discouraged. I keep looking for that "Ah-ha" moment and it
doesn't feel like I'm ever going to find it. Any ideas on how to stay motivated?

I know you're focusing only on spoken Chinese, but sometimes it helps me to just play
with the hanzi. Listening is exhausting sometimes and reading is worse, but just learning
a few characters is a nice way to still be studying. Or read a book by Peter Hessler or
something about China, whatever keeps you connected and interested. It's a long road any
way you look at it, but your goals for this year a reasonable and attainable if you keep
at it.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 15 of 39
18 January 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
So, at what point does the "veil" begin to lift on Mandarin? I am really starting to get
discouraged. I keep looking for that "Ah-ha" moment and it doesn't feel like I'm ever going to find it. Any ideas
on how to stay motivated?

Right now my focus in on French. I did extensive study on Mandarin for 6 months and I am now maintaining a
comfortable level on the phone. I started by watching an old TV series from Singapore listed on YouTube under: 梁
細妹, Liang Xi Mei / Gao Xiao Xing Dong. It is It is a half-hour comedy with a lot of common words &
phrases repeated so it is easy to follow the dialog involving a man playing the role of a mother. I just finished a TV
series in 20 episodes: 企鵝爸爸 with English subtitles.

When you find a movie, TV series that looks interesting, you would watch the first few minutes of the video to see
if you are comfortable with it. Always keep a list of words and phrases you picked up along the way. I like to do
my word lists on computer because I can re-arrange these easily in Pinyin alphabetical order. To date I've
compiled over 300 new words & phrases including different ones that mean the same thing as well as over 50 4-
character proverbs. To keep my Chinese from falling behind while learning French, I am compiling my own
vocabulary list watching videos and entering the comments in Chinese.

The bottom-line to language learning is to strike the right balance between learning grammar, words & phrases
and making learning enjoyable. Repeating: "Bonjour, 你好, Guten morgen" 100x out of a phrase book would be so
boring that you want to quit. You basically find a few nice TV shows & movies online with English subtitles. You
would pay attention to what was being said. As soon as you come to a word or phrase you don't know you look it
up. What got my motivation up is that I would be looking up a word every few minutes using an online dictionary
(with the audio pronunciation button on the side) and 4-character proverbs on Google to see what they mean.
Once you found the answer you feel you've accomplished something on your own.

The Ah-ha moment will come eventually. When I am learning French, I would have a list of movies with English
subtitles such as: La Cage aux Folles. You are doing a lot of learning but at the same time it is also entertainment.
Stopping a video every few minutes to repeat a word or phrase isn't actually boring as repeating a word out of a
book because you are always looking forward to what is going to happen in the next scene...

Edited by shk00design on 18 January 2014 at 12:28am

proudft
United States
Joined 4948 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 39
30 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
So, at what point does the "veil" begin to lift on Mandarin? I am really starting to get discouraged. I keep looking for that "Ah-ha" moment and it doesn't feel like I'm ever going to find it. Any ideas on how to stay motivated?

Just keep at it! It just takes a long time. You have to always, always remember that Mandarin has no common link with English. I see under your name there that you speak French and German. Think of how many words are similar between those languages and English. I took three years of Spanish in high school many many years ago, learned very very little, but I can still muddle my way through written Spanish because of the shared roots it has with English.

With Chinese you have none of that. Look at this pathetic list:
English words of Chinese Origin

So basically you're learning a language from scratch with no crutches to fall back on. But you do start to see progress eventually, honest!

This graph from John Pasden is encouraging to me when I feel like I'm getting nowhere (especially listening and speaking), and I think it's true. There is just this huge hump you have to get over at the beginning, and it is a really really really big hump, but you can do it if you don't give up.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version