United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 1 of 28
17 December 2013 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
This will be my log for TAC 2014!

This will be my 2nd TAC since I joined HTLAL. I didn't post much to my first TAC log because I the free time I had was allocated to learning/watching/reading. I'll probably be posting more this year.

Little intro:

I've been learning languages for about 2 years now.

French for 2 years, Spanish for 1 - 1.5 years, Italian around 6 months total, & some German here and there.

My goals:

Be able to read academic texts fluently, watch movies/tv with a 90% comprehension rate in my 3 target languages.

Whether this will happen this year or 10 years from now, whatever.

I may also log some of my wanderlusts, mainly German, maybe Russian/Japanese/Portuguese.

Good luck this year, teammates!

Edited by sillygoose1 on 09 January 2014 at 11:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 28
17 December 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Good luck :)

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 3 of 28
17 December 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Buona fortuna e buon lavoro!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 4 of 28
17 December 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks & Grazie!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 5 of 28
19 December 2013 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
French:

Finished reading book 1 of the Carl Morck series by Jussi Adler Olsen.

Wow, the amount of new & current expressions in that book is awesome. There's also some good "gap vocab" which fill some of those gaps of obscure words that you know in your native language, but don't use much. For example, "tableau de bord" = "instrument panel"/"dashboard". I couldn't recall the expressions I learned, but if I heard them, I would know them, which is my aim.

I tried watching a bit of a movie, and it seems my break did some good. The words just come a lot more naturally now. Still some parts where I can't understand anything, not even enough to make a guess, but that's becoming a lot more rare at this point.

I'm going to be reading the 3rd Morck book in French & hope to get some more key vocab.

Other than reading, I've barely done anything with French. I'd like to get around to some more Houellebecq & Murakami.

Spanish:

I read Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, and reading the 2nd book of the Carl Morck series. I'm learning a lot of vocab & expressions like I did with French, but for some reason they're tougher to crack at times. I find myself having to use the English translation to figure out an idiom or how a sentence is worded, which brings me to my next point. Why is Spanish so much harder for me? The main reason I think is because as English, French, and one of my other first studied languages, German, all use subject pronouns, it was easier to know what's going on. Norwegian Wood was a rather easy read barring some obscure vocab (Spanish has like 35235 words for "hill"), but it seems like my second police novel in Spanish isn't too forgiving to me. Considering some conjugations are the same for me, him, her, & that, it can be hard to get sometimes. I can see this being conquered with more reading, but I'm not going to venture into any series yet until it comes easier to me. I'll be reading the 4th book in the series in Spanish.

I'm aiming to finish up Bolano's bibliography & some Murakami books, with my first series being Fisica o quimica.

Italian:

As I couldn't find any Olsen books in Italian, I did make up for it with two books by Lars Kepler & the 3rd book of Stieg Larsson's triology. Yeah, the Scandinavians do crime novels perfectly. It's ironic considering they're probably the safest countries in the world.

I'm going to go through some movies soon, then get to reading. I'd like to start with Larsson's book first because I read the second one in Spanish and it was great for the level I was at.

I'd also like to explore some Italian dialects/languages this year. I'll definitely get through the Corsican Assimil & I'll learn some Neopolitan through some hip hop.

I'm really excited to see what this year brings!

Edited by sillygoose1 on 19 December 2013 at 2:30am

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 6 of 28
19 December 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
If you want to get a feeling of Italian dialects, I recommend you Andrea Camilleri's books about Commissario Montalbano (it seems like you enjoy reading crime novels, don't you? I love them too :)). Although these books are written in standard Italian, he sometimes uses words or full sentences in Sicilian dialect. Some of the books were also made into TV episodes so you could also get a feeling of how the language sounds.
3 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 7 of 28
19 December 2013 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Awesome thanks. I heard there were some contemporary authors who write in Neapolitan too, no? Maybe I'm thinking of music instead of books.

Is the show the same in the sense that they use some words from Sicilian/Sicilian accent or less so?

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4361 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 

Message 8 of 28
19 December 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Awesome thanks. I heard there were some contemporary authors who write in Neapolitan too, no? Maybe I'm thinking of music instead of books.

Well Campania has a very strong music tradition. Some contemporary authors you might have heard of are Pino Daniele and Gigi d'Alessio, but the "Canzone napoletana" actually dates back to 1700/1800.

I know some Neapolitan authors, but they aren't contemporary. Although I don't exclude that there are indeed contemporary authors who use Neapolitan dialect, pretty much all regions have authors who use dialects in their works. If you are interested in Neapolitan dialect we have a famous soap opera called "Un posto al sole", which is set in Naples.

sillygoose1 wrote:
Is the show the same in the sense that they use some words from Sicilian/Sicilian accent or less so?

Yes, Camilleri was involved in the series production so it retains the same spirit of the books. Some characters have a stronger accent than others, some speak only in "siciliano stretto" and it may not be always easy to understand what they say, but the series is definitely worth watching IMHO. I think it is well done, original…and not a pitiful attempt to copy American shows XD Plus you get to see some wonderful Sicilian locations.

I'll see if I can come up with other shows/book (I hardly watch Italian series because, aside from two/three shows ,they are all soap operas…definitely not my cup of tea ;)).

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version