United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 9 of 28
24 December 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
French:

Two more episodes left of Engrenages. I really feel like it would be great listening practice to watch without subs, but Engrenages is one of my key shows and I'd rather be sure to catch everything instead of missing out on words here and there. There are a lot of mumbled and eaten up vowels where once in awhile you ask yourself if they even said a word or just sighed.

I have no idea what to start on after Engrenages. I'm thinking maybe H or Fais pas ci, fais pas ca. I could use a nice comedy for a change. Maybe some more films. Why even do it in a particular order? Why not movies & various shows whenever I feel the urge? Who knows.

Spanish:

Two episodes left of Profugos. It's one of those shows that make a great filler to watch while waiting for Game of Thrones next year. :)

100-150 pages left in Los chicos que cayeron en la trampa. I need to cool down with the crime novels.

Italian:

Nothing yet. Hopefully after I finish my Spanish book I'll start. I keep saying that but whatever.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 10 of 28
27 December 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
French:

Still haven't watched Engrenages, but I'll probably finish it off today or tomorrow.

I'm currently reading Extension du domaine de la lutte and I'm learning some new words which is always good. I feel like I could read faster by just learning words based on context alone, but I always stop and wonder, what if I'm learning a different meaning? After looking up some words, it turns out that sometimes I do deduce a different meaning from what the word actually means. This also happens a lot with one word with different meanings.

For example, I always thought "camper" meant to camp out or setup camp. But, as it turns out, it can also mean "depict" or "portray". I always used "depeindre" for "depict", which I guess is more common, but at least I have a new word added to the repertoire.

When writing or speaking, I notice I still make some stupid mistakes sometimes like using the indicative instead of the subjunctive, then when I realize it afterward, I feel silly.

Spanish:

Finished Los chicos que cayeron en la trampa. It was definitely not as good as his first book. This book tells you who the criminals are from the beginning, and the rest is about collecting the proof needed to incriminate. I had very high hopes from the first book, but if the rest are like the 2nd, he's done for me.

One more episode left of Profugos.

I'm going through 2666 again. It's divided into 5 parts/books, the first of which took me a few months to get through being 200 pages, and I don't think I understood the whole plot/remember a lot because I was still at a more intermediate stage with Spanish and a lot of words were unknown. I'm at the second part now and after going through 2 other separate books, it's easier now.

Italian:

Niente.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 11 of 28
30 December 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
French:

Finished Engrenages. All in all, while I felt like I got most of it, there were still some words that I could just not flat out hear. And there were a few that I just didn't understand. I just need to watch more movies/series I suppose. I'm happy with my level all things considered, but I know I can do better.

Anyway, I need to think of what to start with next!

Spanish:

Finished Profugos. The Chilean accent can get really crazy at times. There were too many parts where I would've had no idea at all what they were talking about if I didn't have subs.

I'm thinking about whether to start Profugos season 2, but there are no subs for it. I'm not sure if I'm ready to follow it without yet.

Finished book 2 of 2666. I've heard it was the most boring out of the 5, which makes me excited because it wasn't all that bad.

After some digging, I found out about some cool looking Mexican shows that I'd like to try. Both being crime dramas.

I also watched Todo sobre mi madre.

Italian:

Translated some songs and had a few conversations.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 12 of 28
30 December 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
S'il n'y avait que "quelques mots" qui t'échappaient quand tu regardais Engrenages, tu es bien plus avancé que moi ! :-)

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 13 of 28
30 December 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Je crois que la seule raison que j'aie compris autant, c'etait a cause des sous titres. Je crains de penser si mes resultats auraient ete pareils si je les avais pas employes.

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4416 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 14 of 28
31 December 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Nous allons être amenés à nous croiser souvent en2014 en tant que "fellow members" de l'équipe d'italien!
Meilleurs vœux pour ce TAC !

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 15 of 28
31 December 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Bonne chance a toi cette annee aussi!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 16 of 28
04 January 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
French;

A little more than halfway through Extension du domaine de la lutte. The more formal vocab in this book is awesome. I feel so pretentious making up sentences in my head using these words/phrases.

I watched an episode of a French police drama called Antigone 34. It's decent, as in it keeps my attention, but nothing great. It's basically like their version of CSI/Law & order. I was able to follow the plot comfortably up until a little bit before the end where I dozed off for a bit and must have missed something in the plot.

I also watched a movie called Des Gens qui s'embrassent. It wasn't too bad of a movie, but nothing I'd ever rewatch. There were a couple of dialogues that I didn't fully catch, but one in particular towards the end with a lot of background noise was quite hard to get all of.

Spanish:

Well on my way through book 3 of 2666. Reading is fluent for me and I can connect the words with images in my head quickly, bar a few unknown vocab words.

Watched episode 1 of La que se avecina. It's actually pretty funny. As usual, some scenes I didn't get all of, but compared to 2-3 months ago when I barely caught anything, maybe half, of a Camera Cafe episode, I'm quite happy with my results.

Also, I'm starting to be able to hear new words at rapid speed which is a good sign.

Watched half of episode 5 of Los Hombres de Paco. There are strong Andalusian accents (eating up words, "s" being nonexistent, etc) but it's not that much of a problem now. This is extremely encouraging because a few months ago I had to watch it with English subs and still didn't get that much.

Italian:

Read a little bit of La Storia, listened to a lot of music.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version