United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 25 of 28
09 March 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Yeah exactly! I agree with both points.

I really wish I could get myself to a C1+ in every language I find myself interested in, but there is just not enough time. :(

French:

Watched Une chanson pour ma mere + Au bonheur des ogres. The first one is about a rural family from Ardennes whose mother is dying, so they decide to kidnap her favorite singer to sing her a song in person. It had its funny moments and it had its boring ones. The second is about a chaotic family full of half siblings whose older brother is being framed for a series of murders. Kind of boring, but decent.

I also watched Le Prenom today which was pretty good.

As far as my listening, the two that I watched yesterday I didn't get as much as I'd have liked, but I was a little stressed and kind of thought about other things which really affects learning or anything to do with languages.

Spanish:

Watched some more Aida. I really just need to keep the ball rolling. There's nothing too much to say about my Spanish except that I just have to keep trucking on. There's one character who is either Andalusian or Caribbean because she eats every vowel and never pronounces any "s" which makes it pretty difficult to understand.

I'd like to get back into some Spanish films. Spain & Argentina have made some surprisingly decent comedies like France, which I never would've suspected. I'm saving the Argentine films for after I feel comfortable with the Spanish films because anyone who has studied Spanish knows that the Argentine speech can be a little different. I wouldn't say as big of a difference as French - Quebecois, but still pretty different.

Italian:

I'm still on the subtitle stage where all the movies I watch have subs. I'd love to list the movies that I've seen, but I don't remember them all from the past month. I'll start up again the next time I watch. One thing I want to still do is understand Neapolitan at least a little. I've yet to find any resources or radio stations, and the only Neapolitan movie I know of is Gomorra which, to make matters worse, is littered with Neapolitan slang naturally.

General:

My goals are to finish watching movies in my TLs in their "standard", then move on to series, then other countries. The reason for this is that I enjoy series way more than films now, so I'm basically using the films as practice to understand the series as much as I can. Many French/Spanish/South American/Quebecois series have no English subs, and some of them I'm really interested in getting the most that I can out of them.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 26 of 28
15 March 2014 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
French:

Nothing

Spanish:

Watched Estas Ahi which is a short movie, about 1:10 in length, about a man whose girlfriend died in an accident but talks with him as a spirit. It was fun to watch. I'm looking forward to watching some more Spanish comedies/rom coms.

Italian:

I watched Manuale d'amore 3. I must say, it was pretty cool to see Robert de Niro do a movie in only Italian. Even if it was in a thick American accent (which I think was done on purpose since he played an American).

German:

Going to go through Perfectionnement Assimil again.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 27 of 28
20 March 2014 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
French:

Watched La Vraie Vie des Profs. Many people say that Southern France has a noticeable accent compared to other parts, but I didn't notice anything. The movie was a comfortable watch for me give or take a few sentences like usual as well as some verlan.

Before I watched that movie, I watched Un P'tit Gars de Menilmontant. Wow, that was pretty tough compared to other movies I've seen recently. First, there was only one rip I found online when I heard about it, and the audio quality was pretty low. Throw in a bunch of verlan and mumbling, and the result is that I didn't understand as much as I would've liked. But, I enjoyed it regardless.

I'm starting to listen to more rap again. Some artists are easier than others which is odd. But when I can't understand something, I remind myself that I didn't understand rap songs in English for awhile. I remember having to look up lyrics all the time. Baby steps.

Spanish:

I watched a movie called Bypass. It was ok. I feel like too much audio went right over my head. I don't feel as comfortable in Spanish like I do in French. I feel like French is "solidified" in my head, but Spanish is just there. I'm going to dedicate the next few days to Spanish movie watching. What's really odd is that I understand some rap better than some movies. oh, I'm going to listen to a lot of Spanish rap too.

Italian:

Watched Posti in Paradiso (I think?). Definitely not ready to take the subs off yet.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 28 of 28
02 April 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
French:

Nothing lately. I'm going to be reading 1Q84 soon after I finish another book I'm currently working on. I originally wanted to L/R it awhile back, but time slipped from me.

Spanish:

Speaking of Murakami, I'm currently reading Cronica del pajaro que da cuerda al mundo, or, The wind up bird chronicles. I'm having a really great time with it. This is my second Murakami book, the first being Norwegian Wood which I read in Spanish as well. NW didn't have as much new vocab as this book does. I'm learning some useful words which is always good. The book is so good that I really haven't wanted to watch any movies or tv lately.

Italian:

I watched Habemus papam & Cha cha cha. I also downloaded some Cicero texts that I'd like to get around to. Dialectical words are pretty annoying at times, but nice to know. Most of the movies I watched are based in Rome or down South more so I really have no choice in the matter.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version