Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 17 of 107
30 December 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I think the September people should at least give some sort of life sign now if they want to be included... But May... I find it a bit of a stretch to count them as active members if they haven't written either in their logs or the group thread for more than half a year - even if they drop back in now. The TAC rules are very lax as it is.

I think they're too lax. If I find I don't have the time to participate, it's my obligation to post that in the team thread and ask to be removed. That takes what? Three minutes?

I'm not a very good TACer, but for a couple of months I checked the logs of people that had quit in December (that is, even before the beginning). It's disrespectful to make your teammates check your log, if you have given up. Especially if you're visiting the forum and posting somewhere else.
5 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 18 of 107
30 December 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:

I'm not a very good TACer, but for a couple of months I checked the logs of people that had quit in December (that
is, even before the beginning). It's disrespectful to make your teammates check your log, if you have given up.
Especially if you're visiting the forum and posting somewhere else.

Not that I disagree, but can't you just follow the log and get automatic email notification when the log has been
updated, thereby obviating any need to check the logs? I know it occasionally has technical difficulties, but it's
pretty reliable, I thought.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 19 of 107
30 December 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Not that I disagree, but can't you just follow the log and get automatic email notification when the log has been updated, thereby obviating any need to check the logs? I know it occasionally has technical difficulties, but it's pretty reliable, I thought.

Yes, of course. I didn't remember that. Thanks for reminding me.

It's just that since I get so many notifications from other sources, I decided not to do it for HTLAL. After all, I do this for fun.

And I didn't spend all that time checking. It's the attitude I find annoying.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 107
31 December 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
VOTING TAC 2013 WILL START ON JANUARY 1st 2014

So on the first day of the new year the TAC 2013 voting will start. The voting period will last from 01 January until 15 January 2014. If necessary and we agree on it, it can be prolonged.

Every HTLAL forum user has TWO votes: 1 vote for his/her favourite TAC 2013 team and 1 vote for his/her favourite individual TAC - participant (who was not a TAC team member in 2013).

NB: You are not allowed to vote for your own TAC - team 2013!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 December 2013 at 1:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 107
31 December 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Just two? How about the categories suggested by Cristina?

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What we did however discuss before the beginning of 2013 was to add some individual categories. We all know that when we vote for a team we do in actual fact vote for some of the stars of that team, and not only
the team effort, and there are some individual logs, which also should get the chance for a nomination.

I do not remember if any actual categories were decided, but I think some of the categories could be

- best overall log
- best newcomer
- funniest log
- most entertaining log
- most useful log
- the log with most foreign languages used in the log
- best travel log
- most consistent student
- longest individual thread started this year
- most languages studied

And then we could add any fun category we like (anyone creative here?) :-)

But I would also like to see individual categories, so that we could let some of the stars shine, whether they
are part of a team or are flying totally solo.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 107
31 December 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
This is far too complicated and it would be an "inflation of winners", so the title "TAC winner" wouldn't be anything worth anymore. If people here agree on such a voting with 10 titles, I will cancel my TAC 2014 participation and I won't take part in a TAC anymore.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 December 2013 at 2:11pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4302 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 23 of 107
31 December 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

Every HTLAL forum user has TWO votes: 1 vote for his/her favourite TAC 2013 team and 1 vote for his/her favourite
individual TAC - participant (who was not a TAC team member in 2013).

I don't understand... We have to vote a TAC 2013 winner who wasn't a TAC member in 2013..?

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4302 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 24 of 107
31 December 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
This is far too complicated and it would be an "inflation of winners", so the title "TAC winner"
wouldn't be anything worth anymore. If people here agree on such a voting with 10 titles, I will cancel my TAC 2014
participation and I won't take part in a TAC anymore.

Fasulye

Maybe the title TAC Winner could be reserved for the overall winner, but then a different title could be given for
people who won the other categories? Funniest TAC Log 2013 etc...

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version