Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 17 of 40
20 January 2014 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Weekly report:

German
Read some of the book "Es" by Stephen King on my Kindle Paperwhite.
Some reviewing of Babbel's German course.
Got the Lingq app for the mobile, I really like the GeoAudio travel letters in German. The Lingq app seems a bit buggy, let's hope it will work out ok.

Assimil project is delayed since I will be in the mountains for a week. Haven't had time to restore the iTunes library.

Startup for French and Spanish is delayed until February.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 18 of 40
28 January 2014 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
German:
Still reviewing Babbel German course, reduced my backlog of flashcards with about 1500.
Started to review Busuu German course. Flashcards system at Busuu not so good so I put it in Anki. Had my weekly session on Skype.

I needed some inspiration so I bought this book The Telenovela Method: How to Learn Spanish Online for Free Using Spanish TV, Music, Movies, Comics, Books, and More [Kindle Edition">
Of course it can be used for other language too. Not finished reading it yet, but it seems quite good.

Wanderlust:
OK, so I bought a one year subscription for learning Greek:
I learn Greek

Stupid, I know, but is was only 12 USD :-)

Edit: The website has mobile friendly pages.

Edited by Bjorn on 28 January 2014 at 1:39pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 19 of 40
01 February 2014 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
January Report:
I hadn't studied any language for a year. I had only a weekly session with German through 2013. Even my English skill are weaker now.
This was due to my new revitalized hobby: trekking. I had to read about all the new stuff in this area. And to buy new stuff. I have rented a small cabin (with internet of course)where I will test out the new winter equipment and will try some skiing. It is at least 20 years ago I have been skiing.

The book The Telenovela Method was quite good, gave refreshed view of different learning style. I found it inspired me.

German:
Babbel: Then I started in January the flashcards backlog was 4692, it's now down to 1234. Still not finished reviewing the Babbel course.

Busuu: Started to review the Busuu German course. Also written some German and got it corrected at Busuu. This function of Busuu I really like. Also tested where you speak some German and get some response on it. Seems to work and the feedback was not so bad.

"Es", German edition of It by Stephen King, according to my Kindle, I have read 3 % of the book. Sometimes I'm in the "flow", sometimes not in the "flow". That is ok.
I like the option to look up unknown word in Kindle, I have the Collins Concise German-English Dictionary.

3SAT TV: Started to watch this channel again. I like this TV channel. Often I just let it sound in the background while I'm doing flashcards. I have found it more easy to do flashcards this way, don't know why.

LingQ: Subscribed because I really like those GEO Audio.

French:
Will start with Babbel French Course then there is no flashcards backlog in German.

Spanish: Postponed until Mars

Learning style:
I like to swift between different courses, so I don't get bored. For example in German
I have Babbel, Busuu, LingQ and Assimil.

Thinking of Assimil, my iTunes library is not fixed yet. Have to fix it soon.

Due to my subscription to LingQ, I have a giveaway of 1 month premium LingQ.
The first to post in this log and stating that they want the free premium month, I will send a message with the link

Thanks for reading my log.

Edit: Forgot to say that I archived all the old stuff and therefore I will have a fresh start. I think this is the best way since I hadn't done a review for a hole year.

Edited by Bjorn on 01 February 2014 at 8:19pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4408 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 20 of 40
01 February 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the recommendation of the Telenovela Method book. Its principles could undoubtedly be applied to any language. Maybe you want to post about it in the general area? Although there are a lot of people on here who could probably have written it themselves...

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 21 of 40
02 February 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Sorry, not today, I got a hangover from going out last two days. I'm really to old for this kind of activities. Reviewing flashcards goes really slow today.

Here is a free Kindle book for learning German:

How to Speak German in 90 Days: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners [Kindle Edition">
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 22 of 40
06 February 2014 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
My iTunes is up and running now. Still adding files to it.

German:
Babbel German vocabulary down to 1100 now, I have taken a break, only reviewing the new one that comes every day. The rest of those flashcards consists of sentences, I will wait with the rest until I'm finished with reviewing Babbel course.

Also started with reviewing Busuu German course.

"Es" by Stephen King, I'm close to 4 % read now. Hey, it's a long book.

Started to write in German. I'm really bad at this, so I thought it was time for some grammar. And I don't like grammar.
I'm using this book, found it quite easy to understand, but of course I need to read it several times and work with it.
Easy Learning German Grammar (Collins Easy Learning German) (German Edition) [Kindle Edition">

Besides writing at Busuu, I have made a new contact with another German who want to learn Norwegian. We send small text to each other via email to be corrected.

French:
Started to review Babbel French flashcards, the backlog was 1567 flashcards then I started.
Assimil French soon to be started

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 23 of 40
12 February 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
German
My backlog of 4692 flashcards at Babbel is now zero, null, nada, nothing, ingenting, borte vekk, puh....
I expect to use 1-2 hour each day reviewing theme for a week or two.
Hadn't done a review for over a year.

Most of the reviewing of the Babbel courses done.
Some reviewing at Busuu.

LingQ app on my Samsung mobile did'nt work, but seems to work ok on my mini iPad.
Started to listen to GEOaudio, I really loves those travel letters.

Since I'm done with the backlog of German flashcards, I rewarded myself by watching the film The King's Speech, German: Die rede des königs with German subtitles.
I found it quite interesting using German subtitles, audio and subtitles are not always the same, but in this way you get "synonyms" for what is happening in the film.

Skype and email exchange as usual.

Next will be more German grammar, I really need to learn it.

French
After the work of reviewing German flashcards, I decided to delete all my 1600 or something French flashcards and make a new fresh start with Babbel.
I'm a bit tired of hardcore flashcard reviewing now.

Assimil French course postphoned until further notice since I will travel.
It's a pity that Assimil don't make apps of their courses. That would be nice.

Started to watch TV5 Monde, they have French and English subtitles.
This time, for French I will only use French subtitles. Even if I don't understand everything of it, I think it can be useful for connecting sound and word together.
It's just en experiment.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4654 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 24 of 40
22 February 2014 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
It has been a hard week, Netflix released season 2 of House of Cards. Of course I had to see it, all at once :-)
But still I'm quite happy with my efforts regarding language study.

German
Babbel German, vocabulary of nearly 4700 word and sentence, the backlog is zero, in spite of a longer break because of House of cards.

Started to use iTalki.com and have now more Germans to speak with via Skype.

I'm so bad with German grammar that i now take lessons from a teacher at iTalki. My mind like to "überfliegen" what ever topic it reads, my mind is not so found of all the little details in this world. I got homework and that force me to read Collins German grammar book, that is good.

As an award I saw the movie Gladiator with German audio and subtitles.

French
I found out that Assimil sell a digital version of New French With Ease, the so called E-method. So I bought it, and now have this course on my Mac and in a book.
So I have changed my mind, I will now use New French With Ease book/E-method and Babbel French from now on.
I will start the Assimil course on Monday, Babbel is good then I travel, the hole course is on my mobile.

I think that Mars/April will be mostly German Grammar. I want to nail this down.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version