Team Asgard (Scandinavian) - TAC ’14

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
438 messages over 55 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 54 55 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 225 of 438
26 April 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I am not in the team since I have no time therefore, but I wondered what would good
courses, books, resources, etc. be for Danish and Swedish for solidfying intermediate
(B1), upper-intermediate and higher, e.g. B2 into C1 and above? I am actually just A1 in
Swedish and not even A1 in Danish (I just started one week ago), but I was wondering what
to do after finishing Assimil courses for both. If it has been listed or answered before,
I must apologise in advance.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 26 April 2014 at 11:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4302 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 226 of 438
27 April 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
The Swedish Assimil course (4000 words) should get you far enough to use native
materials. There are lots of easy crime novels in Swedish you could start with.
With the 2600 words Danish Assimil gives you, the novel "Naiv.Super" by Erlend Loe
(originally written in Norwegian, but translated to Danish, Swedish, English and many
more languages) is very much doable, at least with the occasional dictionary lookup.

Edited by daegga on 27 April 2014 at 12:40am

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 227 of 438
28 April 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Hej, 1e4e6!

As daegga rightly pointed out, Assimil is a good choice for Swedish.

The older Assimil by Jean-François Battail is widely considered here as one of the best Assimil courses ever. Many think that it’s the equivalent of the Sans peine course and the Perfectionnement course available for other languages, but combined into just one textbook in this case. The newer Assimil, Le suedois by William Fovet, seems to have undergone the same “dumbing-down” that other textbooks have undergone in recent years, but I think that it’s still pretty good. (Full disclosure: I own both books, but I haven’t yet finished either).

If you’re interested, there are specific textbooks for the B1 and above levels, especially if you are willing to work with courses completely in Swedish (or in other L1 languages like German, for instance). I’m thinking for example of the fairly recent Rivstart which has two levels: A1-A2 and B1-B2.

Here’s a bibliography to get you started. But if you’re still just at the beginning, I advise you to wait a little before you go off on a buying spree. First make sure that your interest in Swedish is a lasting one and then find out what kind of courses works for you so that you can direct your shopping accordingly.

The only thing that remains to me to say is that you need not worry about running out of higher level materials: when the time comes, you’ll have plenty of textbooks and courses to choose from.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 228 of 438
30 April 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
April Challenge

Jag har läst om regissören och författaren Ingmar Bergman. Jag gillar bio och när jag har möjligheten tittar jag gärna på svenska filmer. Ingmar Bergman, som dog 2007, är ännu Sveriges mest berömd regissör och hans filmer visas ofta utomlands. Många av hans filmer är svåra och trokiga: kanske det är mitt fel att jag inte förstår dem. Min favorit är Det sjunde insegle som jag tror är ett mästerverk.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 229 of 438
30 April 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
April Challenge

April has been quite a good month! Here are my short summaries of two short articles about the authors whose books I've finally started reading.

DA
Jeg har læst om Hanne-Vibeke Holst og også begyndt at læse hendes bog "Kronprinsessen". Jeg ved at hele trilogien er blevet filmet af SVT, og sandsynligvis har jeg set de seneste to dele ("Kungamordet", "Drottningoffret").

NO
Erlend Loe er en forfatter som jeg har ganske lest mye av, men "Tatt av kvinnen" er min første bok på norsk.

More info will follow in my log (in a day or two).

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3722 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 230 of 438
01 May 2014 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
April Challenge, going with the fashion of putting those words there in bold for the convenience of reading. I read about Walpurgisnacht, not that it was something with which I was previously unfamiliar, but reading various Wiki articles in DA/NO/SV gave me the vocab I needed to make the summary that shall follow. Pity my grammar still sucks. On the bright side, at least for DA and NO I usually know where I'm going wrong; I'll know "I don't know whether this should be "på" or "i" in this idiomatic construction", "I still don't yet truly get the distinction between assorted usages of various possessive pronouns", or "I'm not sure whether I should add an "e" to the end of this word in this context, such as when it is singular but adjectival" (like "German" below, where I just take a guess, since my usual Norwegian go-to-girl is in bed and I'm up penning this).

Below is (or at least tries to be!) the same summary three times, once in each language. I am closest to confident with my Norwegian. These days my Danish is largely based on my knowledge of Norwegian, since I read and write in Norwegian every day with a friend (although not normally trying to explain what is now a relatively obscure festival with lots of arcane language). Swedish, some months ago the strongest of the three for me, is now by far my weakest of the three.

In my defence I'm also tired and have been celebrating Walpurgisnacht with decidedly Northern quantities of alcohol. I'll edit another day ;)

DA

Valborgsaften er en fest fejres i aften den 30 april. Det er en traditionel forår festival i Nordeuropa, fx i Finland, Sverige, Tyskland og Holland, men man fejrer det også i Estland, Letland, Litauen, Tjekkiet, og i flere andre lande. Sikkert, tror jeg, i Norge og Danmark også, men jeg finder ingen kilde til sådan. Valborgsaften får sit navn fra Sankt Valborg, i det ottende århundrede fvt. På tyske folkeminde er Valborgsaften menes at være en heksmødesaften. På denne måde har det ligheder med allehelgensaften, som fejres nøjagtig seks måneder senere.

NO

Valborgsnatten, også Valborgsmesse, er en fest som feires på kvelden 30 april. Det er en tradisjonell vårfest i Nord-Europa, f.eks i Finland, Sverige, Tyskland, og Nederland, men man feirer det også i Estland, Latvia, Litauen, Tsjekkia, og i flere andre land. Sikkert, tror jeg, i Norge og Danmark også, men jeg finner ingen kilde for slikt. Valborgsnatten får navnet sitt fra Sankt Valborg, i åttende århundre fvt. I tyske folkeminne er Valborgsnatten antatt å være en heksemøtesnatt. På denne måten har det likheter med allehelgensaften, som feires nøyaktig seks måneder senere.

SV

Valborgsmässoafton är en högtid som firas på kvällen den 30 april. Det är en traditionell vårfest i norra Europa, till exempel i Finland, Sverige, Tyskland och Nederländerna, men man fira det också i Estland, Lettland, Litauen, Tjeckien, och i flera andra länder. Visst, tror jag, i Norge och Danmark också, men jag hittar ingen källa för sådant. Valborgsmässoafton fått sitt namn från Hl Valborg, i det åttonde århundradet fvt. I tyska folkminne är Valborgsmässoafton tros vara en häxorsmöteafton. På så sätt har det likheter med Allhelgonaafton, som firas exakt sex månader senare.

Edited by DavidStyles on 01 May 2014 at 2:02am

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3996 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 231 of 438
01 May 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
April Challenge

Jag har läst om regissören och författaren
Ingmar Bergman. Jag gillar bio och
när jag har möjligheten tittar jag gärna på svenska filmer. Ingmar Bergman, som dog 2007,
är ännu Sveriges mest berömd regissör och hans filmer visas ofta utomlands. Många av hans
filmer är svåra och trokiga: kanske det är mitt fel att jag inte förstår dem. Min favorit
är Det sjunde insegle som jag tror är ett mästerverk.

Försök titta på hans mästerverk som kallas "Personer", om du har inte gjort det än. :)

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4257 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 232 of 438
01 May 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Hej Team Asgaard!

I wondered if you have any skype meetings this year (like team Viking had). If so, I
may want to join as a native Danish speaker, if you need that.

I think that skype sessions could be a good way for me to practice my active skills in
Spanish, but i'm a bit nervous about just jumping out in that, so I thought that
joining a Danish/Scandinavian meeting as a native speaker could be an easier start and
a way for me to figure out if I want to try it in Spanish. I have never used skype
before (just downloaded it)

Btw: Sorry for failing the tac 2013, other things took priority for a wile, but I never
completely stopped studying Spanish or at least trying to maintain it, buy listening to
podcasts and such. And now I am highly motivated again, because my boyfriend and I are
going to Ecuador og Peru this winter. :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version