Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 241 of 438
05 May 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Here’s a reminder for those who’d like to do the April Challenge and haven’t yet done it: the deadline has been put back a week so now your entries are due by May, 7. As usual I won’t be too strict in enforcing the deadline! ;-)

---

May Challenge: One-Week Consistency Challenge

In early 2013 Team Viking had a week-long challenge: watching the news daily for a week. I thought we may do something analogous this months as Team Asgard, but with much more freedom as to the activities we can choose to do. This way we can accommodate both those aiming to activate the language and those who prefer to engage only in passive usage without writing or speaking. Moreover, this challenge can easily be worked into the 6wc or Super Challenge for those of us who are taking part in those challenges.

So, here’s how it’s going to work. Come here on this thread and declare what your chosen activity is going to be: writing an entry in your diary, watching a series episode, reading one chapter of a novel, listening to the news, chatting with a native friend online, memorizing a textbook dialogue … Use your fantasy and follow your interests! Any activity you do in your TL is acceptable, as long as you’re ready to do it every day for a week.

When you’ve successfully done your chosen activity for 7 days in a row, come back here and declare that you’ve achieved your goal. As easy as that!

PS. Your input about future challenges is very welcome: off the top of my head, so far I think we’ve heard only from Expugnator, Serpent, DavidStyles and jeff_lindqvist. If anyone (included our just-mentioned teammates) has more ideas/opinions just drop a line here!

1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 242 of 438
05 May 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
May Challenge

I’ll (re-)watch an episode of Wallander every day for a week.

I need to free some space on my DVR, so this challenge is going to be very useful!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 243 of 438
05 May 2014 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
And of course everyone is welcome to track their progress in the consistency thread.
BTW, it can be any seven consecutive days, right? Not necessarily from Monday to Sunday? Great challenge!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 244 of 438
05 May 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
[...] BTW, it can be any seven consecutive days, right? Not necessarily from Monday to Sunday? [...]

Any 7 consecutive days will do, so that you can choose when to start. In fact, not everyone works/lives on the “Monday-Sunday” week, so there’s no point in enforcing an obligatory starting day that may not suit some people.

I’m happy you like this challenge, and look forward to you taking part!

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 245 of 438
05 May 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Awww so many nice words :) I think I'll try to do the challenge for both Swedish and Danish, and even set a small Norwegian goal too :)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 246 of 438
05 May 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent

Great! As soon as you decide what you’re going to do, come back here and announce it.

Whow! I can’t fathom juggling as many languages as you do. How do you manage to achieve so much in a 24-hour day? I would need 36hrs a day as it is, and I’m barely working on English, German and Swedish right now!    :-(

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4907 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 247 of 438
05 May 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
April Challenge

Ifølge Wikipedia er det idag for 69 år siden, at Danmark blev befriet fra den tyske besættelse. Tyskerne havde faktisk overgivet sig den 4. maj, men meddelelsen kom sent om aftenen, og først kunne blive udsendt til Danmark den 5. maj.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 248 of 438
06 May 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
@Serpent

Great! As soon as you decide what you’re going to do, come back here and announce it.

Whow! I can’t fathom juggling as many languages as you do. How do you manage to achieve so much in a 24-hour day? I would need 36hrs a day as it is, and I’m barely working on English, German and Swedish right now!    :-(
Oh, I would also love to have 36h/day, but we have to use what we have. Remember how exhausted Hermione was when she used the Time-turner :D

Anyway, I've chosen my first goal. It may seem small but I'm going to read 5 pages a day in Swedish. I've never read any books/stories in it before. I'll start with this, alongside the Finnish original. I hope I won't pick up too much old-fashioned-ness :P

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version