Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
438 messages over 55 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 ... 54 55 Next >>

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3722 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 257 of 438
14 May 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:

Has anyone decided on their chosen activity for the May Challenge yet? I bet choosing the activity is the hardest part of the challenge!   ;-)

Haven't decided mine yet! I guess I know which week of May it's going to be, though :p
1 person has voted this message useful

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4307 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 258 of 438
17 May 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
My activity for the May challenge will be to L-R a chapter of the Hunger Games everyday. I was fairly consistent for awhile, but I haven't done much during the past month, so this is a good challenge for me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3996 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 259 of 438
18 May 2014 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
May challenge: I'll listen to "lätt nyheter på svenska" 10 minutes every day. Need to push
up dem listening skillz :P

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 260 of 438
18 May 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
@WoofCreature and @Sarnek
Excellent!

For all the others, I’d like to remind you that there’s no need to start the challenge on a Sunday or a Monday, any day of the week will do. Start when you’re ready and keep going for 7 days: that’s all it takes (apart from telling us about it, of course)!

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4302 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 261 of 438
19 May 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
My challenge will be to read a chapter of a Swedish book every day. I started today.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 262 of 438
23 May 2014 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Aaaargh, I kept going for 4 days, but I failed yesteday.
BTW, the last day when you can get started is this Sunday.

And I finally picked goals for my other Scandinavian languages. I'll try to get started on all of them today, though I might have a couple of false starts before I get going properly. In Norwegian, I'll simply listen to one song per day with 100% concentration, either with my eyes closed or while reading/following the text.

In Danish, I'm going to finally start learning the letter-sound correspondence. That's vaguely inspired by the 20 hour technique and the post from Benny that I linked to. Later on I'll probably practise writing transcripts and also simply read and then listen to the audiobook to test myself.

But I really need to take small baby steps. I'll start with reading HP4 while listening to the audiobook. I've already done it before, and I've LR'ed HP a lot in Danish... While it has helped me notice more cognates, see the greater picture etc, I still can't really read confidently without an audiobook. (Which is embarrassing given that I've been trying to learn Danish for 3-5 years, and in Swedish I'm already reading after just a few weeks. I'm definitely not perfect, but any mistakes I make concern individual words, kinda like in English or Russian)

This time I'll read-listen for just about 10 minutes per day (both text and audio in Danish), and I aim to focus on a specific problem each time, sometimes just one single sound (especially the glottal stop). I will do this for at least 7 days (because of the challenge), and then I'll decide if I continue or do something else. When I decide that it's time to switch to other activities, I'll probably have a final long session before moving on.

Since today was my first session, I first thought briefly what to start with. I thought the vowels are clear enough, and that the first "topics" would be consonant pairs and word-final consonants. Soon enough it was clear that I need to focus on the vowels too (especially ø and a), and I didn't have enough attention span for consonant pairs. But the good news is that the word-final consonants disappear far less than it always seemed to me. Most of the time there's at least something, at least a glottal stop. (But that will probably be one of the last things I tackle) I was also fishing for future problems to look at, and I know I'll definitely need a separate session for all the "little words". They just seem to change their pronunciation more than long words (just like in English, really). I will probably also try to find a good list of common morphological elements (suffixes etc) and work through groups of them. I already know some, but I'm sure I have many gaps too.

Also, while I aim to have a clear focus in each session, I will also keep the previous topics in mind and continue looking for new things to explore. There's a lot of overlap.

Any experiences with Danish pronunciation/spelling? Recommended resources? Things to pay attention to? Out of the individual sounds, I will listen for the stops (p, t, k + voiced) at least, and then I'll see what else.

This seemed like a good fit for Benny's mission format. One difference from HTLAL logs is that it encourages you to set a deadline. I suppose I'm aiming to be mostly done with this before the World Cup, since I'll be focusing on my Romance languages then, as well as German perhaps. I'll also participate in Tadoku in June, probably with Swedish, Italian and German (or a similar combination, but surely no Danish yet). When July starts, I definitely want to start reading something in Danish, whether I'm ready or not. Even if I have to double-check everything on forvo.

I will definitely post updates here too, it just feels important enough that I want to backup it on Benny's forum too.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4302 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 263 of 438
23 May 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Any experiences with Danish pronunciation/spelling? Recommended resources? Things to
pay
attention to? Out of the individual sounds, I will listen for the stops (p, t, k +
voiced) at
least, and then I'll see what else.

There often is a stressed and an unstressed way to pronounce a word, ie. it depends on
the
position and function in a specific sentence how a word is pronounced. This is most
prevalent for
function words. Just don't get confused by different pronunciations for the same word,
there is
some logic behind it ;)
Another source of confusion could be compounds. Eg. the morpheme 'bag' on its own is
pronounced
like English 'bay', but as the first part in a compound it's pronounced like German
'Bau', except
for the word 'bagefter'. The same is true for 'flag'.

edit:
There are monolingual textbooks for Danish pronunciation like 'Dansk udtale for
begyndere' that can make you aware of some important 'rules' (or rather: regularities).

Edited by daegga on 23 May 2014 at 3:02am

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 264 of 438
23 May 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I recently got the pronunciation course that daegga mentioned, “Dansk udtale for begyndere”. The pauses are too long, but I fixed that in the first 18 of the 41 lessons. My challenge will be to repeat after these 18 lessons every day, starting today.

Edited by AlOlaf on 27 May 2014 at 7:30am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version