Diglot
Italy
Joined 4001 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 337 of 438
26 July 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Help: can anyone reccomend a book/essay/paper about Swedish prosody?

Tack!
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 338 of 438
26 July 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I suppose you’re already familiar with Olle Kjellin’s work, are you?

He’s a sometime member of the forum and has a lot of interesting things to say about Swedish pronunciation and prosody. You should probably have a look at his website.

I don’t know what you’re looking for exactly, so I’m not sure he fits the bill, but he’s the only academic that comes to mind. Here, for instance, is one of his papers on prosody.

I hope this helps.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4001 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 339 of 438
27 July 2014 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
You're an angel. What would I do without you.

Thank you so much!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 340 of 438
30 July 2014 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
@Sarnek
Happy to help when I can.

---

I’m sorry guys, but I’m not being much of a team leader: to be perfectly honest with you, I’m suffering from a bit of forum fatigue (as I wrote in my log). That’s why I haven’t been very present on the forum lately.

Thanks to Expugnator, Sarnek and AlOlaf for proving with their posts in July that they’re still here, still engaged with Team Asgard. I hope more people will join our small posse of survivors.

July’s Challenge

Hittills 2014 har jag inte lärt mig mycket svenska. Mina läroböcker ligger bortglömda på bokhyllan bakom mina engelska romaner. Men jag försöker läsa ett par artiklar varje vecka. Jag föredrar artiklar publicerades på svt.se som är korta och enkla. Och jag har tittat på flera tv-filmer: jag tittar dem t o m 4-5 gånger så att jag kan förstå fast allting som rollfigurerna säger.

Ok, I’ve written the above passage quite quickly, so there will be plenty of mistakes, but it will have to do for this time. If anyone feels like correcting it, you’re very welcome.

EDIT: typo.

Edited by Emme on 30 July 2014 at 10:44am

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 341 of 438
02 August 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Until the end of August the drama series Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar is available for streaming on the SVTPlay website. There are 3 one-hour episodes and as usual you can view the Swedish subtitles by clicking on the “T” symbol (choose the option “textning på”).

Available until Saturday 30 August 2014.

At this point, I would add “enjoy!”, were it not a rather sad drama. But it’s still useful for your (and my) Swedish.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 342 of 438
10 August 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
It’s all awfully quiet here, but I suppose most of us are in the middle of the summer holidays, at least here in the Northern hemisphere.

Anyway, for those interested in the monthly challenge, I think it’s time we delved into our TL cultures. I was thinking that we could dedicate the next couple of months to discovering some works of art or artists from the Nordic countries. This month, I was thinking about poetry, with visual arts (painting, sculpture, architecture), film, and classical music following. What do you guys think? Is there enough interest for this project or had I better scrap it altogether and come up with something different? I’m looking forward to hearing your opinions.

In the meantime, August challenge will consist in reading a poem in our TL. And if that sounds too highbrow, I guess a more down-to-earth nursery rhyme will also do.

I’m not very familiar with literature from Denmark and Norway, but as far as Sweden is concerned there’s a long line of poets from 18th Century Carl Michael Belmann to the recent Nobel prize winner Tomas Tranströmer.

If you have no idea where to start, have a look here:
Svenskspråkiga poeter
Danskspråkiga poeter
Norskspråkiga poeter

2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4307 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 343 of 438
10 August 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
It's called "Sommerloch" in German. I don't know if Scandinavians use the expression when referring to something else than news, but it's "agurketid" in Danish and probably "agurktid" in Norwegian (I've only got confirmed "agurknytt" though). Is there an expression like this in Swedish too?

As for the July challenge:
It seems like my passive skills have improved in Swedish, better listening comprehension and I use the pop-up dictionary less often. Other than that, no idea.

Edited by daegga on 10 August 2014 at 9:53pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4307 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 344 of 438
10 August 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
August challenge:
In order to keep it at least a bit inter-Scandinavian, I pick a poem of Johan Herman Wessel, a Norwegian who lived in Copenhagen and wrote in Danish (plus it's short):

Kierlighed og Smørrebrød

At Smørrebrød er ikke Mad,
Og Kierlighed er ikke Had,
Det er for Tiden hvad jeg veed
Om Smørrebrød og Kierlighed.

Love and Sandwitches

That sandwiches are no food,
and love is not hatred,
this is all I know for now
about sandwiches and love.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version