United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4577 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 17 of 26
23 December 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Teango, your posts are always so entertaining. How'd you become such a good writer? :D
In the meantime, I'll be following your challenge this year, as always. I must say, I'm
absolutely intrigued :D Glad to be on the same team again!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 18 of 26
24 December 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
@milesaway
Ничего себе! I bet your level is already light years ahead of anything I can imagine. When I last looked at some ТРКИ 3 sample papers, they scared the bejeezus out of me, so I recognise the challenge and wish you all the very best in passing the exam with flying colours in 2015.

@Woodsei
I'm always happy to see you drop by, and I think your current combination of Russian, Japanese, and Hungarian is a language chef's delight! I look forward to us sharing tips and experiences in at least two of these language next year, and will be following any of your posts relating to Hungarian with an eager and envious eye. :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 19 of 26
15 December 2014 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
The sun is already setting on 2014 like a melting peeled papaya, and it won't be long now until a whole new TAC dawns upon us with fresh hopes, goals, and sparkling New Year intentions. So here’s my summary for the current 2014 TAC whilst dusk still casts its shadows…

I set out this time last year with the goals of improving my Irish and Russian above all else, and thoroughly enjoyed being a part of both the Celtic and Russian TAC teams, whose members have been consistently supportive, informative, and inspiring.

Over the last year, I've periodically studied more challenging Russian dialogues (e.g., the tv transcripts for Кухня, supplied by Polydog and his amazing tutor, were a real bonus in this respect - еще раз спасибо!). I've also spoken more frequently and for longer intervals with my wife in Russian only, as well as with other Russian tourists and residents we meet here from time to time. As a result, Russian is starting to displace English as the main language I speak at home, and so I think it’s about time I finally add Russian to the "speaks" status in my profile - Ура! What I can say in Russian is reasonably well consolidated and passably fluent over a stretch if the topic isn’t too unfamiliar, but there's a long and winding trek ahead to go get my proficiency and vocabulary up to what I'd call a "half decent" level, so I'll keep working on it patiently step by step.

As for Irish, I've enjoyed watching programmes like “Ó Tholg go Tolg” on TG4, and have dabbled with Irish on Duolingo to keep my brain cells dimly alight in dead time, however I'd have liked to do so much more. My teammates in Team Celts have made really encouraging progress this year, and although I feel I've fallen behind and let them down, I hope to keep pushing forward with Irish in 2015 and beyond and catch up with them all later down the trail with a medicinal dram in hand and something more substantial than a meagre cúpla focal. I won’t be captaining the Celtic Team next year, as my work and studies leave me little or no time to do the team the justice they deserve beyond grand openings and a little ongoing admin, but I do hope a brave new soul will rise to the challenge of keeping the Celtic Team alive and strong and a key player in next year’s TAC. It would be a real achievement to promote this lesser known family of amazing languages for a third year in a row!

Finally, with regards to the 2015 TAC, I’ve decided to sign up with Hawaiian, and register as a member on the Rare Languages Team. This will mark my sixth TAC challenge in a row, and as I study Hawaiian at university and have already put in a lot of work over the last semester, my main goal next year is to bring Hawaiian up to a similar level as Russian, and engage more actively with native speakers, all with a hopeful view of adding it to “speaks” in my profile by the end of 2015.

Mele Kalikimaka iā kākou! (Merry Christmas to us all!)

Teango

Edited by Teango on 23 December 2014 at 9:48pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4624 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 20 of 26
15 December 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your achievements in 2014, Teango!

You surely had a lot to do and nevertheless managed to keep studying. I don't think anybody in Team Celts felt "let down" by you, at least I didn't. It's only natural that the great visions and ideas of New Year's Eve don't come true in the following year and we all know how hard you have got to work for your PhD. Being in a similar situation, I know it's difficult to work on a thesis all day and then hit the language books in the evening. Well, at least, I don't have to do any teaching, but it's difficult nevertheless.

Be that as it may, your leaving the Russian and especially the Celtic Team is the most upsetting news I've had on this forum since I was kicked out of it in May! Won't you at least consider joining the teams without any leading responsibility? Especially Team Celtic will need every single potential member that is out there. Team Russian will be able to survive without you, but we'll miss you sorely nevertheless.

Well, as I said, we all understand that you have a lot on your plate. So, all the best for your coming TAC year, even if we won't be on the same teams again.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 21 of 26
15 December 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
@Josquin
Go raibh míle maith agat for your kind comments! And hearing how my absence could be as unsettling as coming back from the dead, I've taken immediate action, Josquin of Lassus. I've signed up for the Celtic Team next year with Irish as a minor language as well. See you on the other side of 2015! :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4624 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 22 of 26
15 December 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Great decision! You won't regret it. Now, we just need a new captain...

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4577 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 23 of 26
16 December 2014 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Wow, your progress is amazing :) Congratulations on moving Russian to the "speaks"
languages! Fitting to get there soon myself. And it would a real pleasure following your
progress in Hawaiian and Irish.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 26
17 December 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
That's good news, Teango! Feicfidh mé tú ar an bhfoireann!

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version