teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 26
18 December 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Introduction

I'd like 2014 to be the year where everything happens, but I also need to keep a realistic head on my shoulders as it will be probably be an even tougher year than the last. I'll be taking more courses, teaching ever-demanding classes, and hope to pass my comprehensive exams for PhD.

As for language goals, I'd ideally like to see visible progress across the board in all languages I've chosen to study, and will be focusing especially on improving my Irish and Russian through additional immersion. For starters, I want to change my Russian profile to "speaks" here in the Forum (approx. B2) and I'm getting closer to this goal every day. I'd also like to reach a half-decent level in Irish and enjoy plenty more TG4.

I know this won't be easy (and if it were a walk in the park, it would definitely be accompanied with headphones and language mp3s), but I believe anything is possible with a determined and proactive outlook, and a like-minded circle of friends to support you along the way. That's why I'm so glad to be in Team Celts and Team Russian in 2014, and I wish all my teammates and readers every success in the promising new year to come.

Edited by Teango on 26 May 2014 at 10:49am

4 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 26
18 December 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
Good luck with all your goals!
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 3 of 26
18 December 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Good luck fellow! We have some common languages, so I'll probably be crashing at your log every now and then.

Have a smooth ride! =)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 4 of 26
18 December 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
@renaissancemedi, fabriciocarraro
Большое спасибо, teammates! :) I'm looking forward to us studying together in the 2014 TAC, and wish you the very best of luck in achieving all your goals.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 5 of 26
18 December 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Удачи!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 26
19 December 2013 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
How's the Egyptian going, by the way?

I've recently been messing around with it again, and I've decided to try to learn it in extreme slow-motion this year.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 26
19 December 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Good to see you are on the path to enlightenment and serious Russian learning, bro! And really hoping to
see you change your Russian to "speaks" this year, to get the inspiration to do the same myself next year.

Happy to be on the same team again, and looking forward to reading your ever funny, entertaining and
inspiring log :-)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 8 of 26
19 December 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
@milesaway
Спасибо, дружище! I'm glad we'll be on the same team together next year. I also notice you're living in Mother Russia - how's that going?

@emk
I've been avoiding your language log this week like a small child trying to ignore a shiny new action figure or shy away from a chocolate muffin on the kitchen table (and those pictures aren't helping either; they're just transforming this temptation into a chocolate muffin sprinkled with hundreds and thousands with a sparkler stuck in the middle!). Must resist, must resist...I have projects to write up...but by the Eye of Horus, your experiment looks so much more interesting! :)

Ok, let's make a deal. If we finish L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique by the end of May 2015, we'll earn some type of related treat. I don't know what it is just yet, but we have plenty of time to think of it. And if we fail in our quest, then it's a trip to the embalmers for the both of us.

And by the way, I completely relate to Middle Egyptian being an experimental language. So far it's chased off most of my tried and tested learning strategies like a disgruntled mummy who didn't quite realise the extent of his siesta, and this makes the challenge of decoding the language all the more interesting.

In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck with progressing forever onwards and upwards in French in 2014, and hope to see you hopping slowly but surely from pyramid to brier patch over the next year and a half...

Edited by Teango on 11 April 2014 at 3:13am

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version