Australia
Joined 3822 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 1 of 2
19 December 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Good evening!

This is a brief introduction to my language background, and my first post.

I’m Australian and a mature-aged ‘returnee’ to languages. In year 7 at school there was a choice between French
and German. I started with French, and enjoyed it so much I took German as well the next year, catching up with
the other German students. After 4 years I moved to a new school (years 11 and 12) and for some crazy reason
decided to learn Japanese and Indonesian instead. At the first Indonesian class the teacher told us that he was
only a few chapters into the textbook himself, but he thought we could learn enough Indonesian together in a
year for us to get a pass in a university entrance subject (we did). So, that was my first experience with ‘self-
study’, or rather, a kind of guided self-study. I studied Japanese for 2 years at school and then decided to study
it at university, continuing for another 2 years. Fast forward many years while I concentrated on my profession
(nothing to do with languages) and raising a family. When we decided to travel overseas I joined a Japanese class
(small group with a native speaker tutor), lots of fun. Passed JLPTN4 in 2010, N3 in 2011, and I sat N2 a few
weeks ago. At the beginning of this year I had a crisis of faith with Japanese and decided to brush up my French.
As I had just discovered this site I started gold listing with French, listening to Paul Noble and other audio
courses available from the library, and reading some parallel texts. In the end I kept plodding away with Japanese
and have managed to read some books this year: “Mariko and her puppies”, a translation of “A little princess” by
Frances Hodgson Burnett, and some stories from “Saru no koshikake” by Momoko Sakura. I started やさしい訴え
by 小川洋子, but it was very slow going. I will get back to it though, I’m keen to see how it turns out.

Where next? Vocabulary will be a priority this year. I have decided to treat French as a sideline. During my crisis
at the beginning of the year I flirted briefly with Dutch-that will probably remain a brief fling but a few months
ago I did buy “Dagboek van een Geisha” in a second hand shop, as I own it in English (couldn’t resist it).

4 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5086 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 2 of 2
04 January 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Hello Chillr,

welcome to the forum! I wish you a successful year 2014 and steady progress in your languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version