Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Sarnek’s Log - TAC ’15 (Rätsel, Sleipnir)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 21 22 Next >>
Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 73 of 176
16 November 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Please tell me what you think.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ntjpstq7Pe

Thank you.

Edited by Sarnek on 16 November 2014 at 5:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4281 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 74 of 176
16 November 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
You certainly have a much better pronunciation than me.
Do you have a recording where you speak freely? I find that my pronunciation deteriorates
significantly from reading aloud to speaking freely.

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 75 of 176
17 November 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't as of yet. I might do one someday though, that'd be a good idea.
Anyway, I think that what is really hard in "free" speech is to keep a good
intonation/proody. Assimil helped me a lot in that regard, but still I've got lots of
work to do.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5107 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 76 of 176
23 November 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Sarnek wrote:
[...] As far as German is conncerned, well, I haven't been able to find A2-B1.level podcasts, nor German streaming websites for television, they are mostly banned in Italy and if they aren't, they have no subs or stream some really old programs (suggestions are extremely welcome) [...]

Sorry I come to your post with a few weeks’ delay, but as you may have noticed I’m not often online lately.

Anyway, if you’re looking for legal places where you can watch German TV from Italy I can suggest a couple: the ARD Mediathek and the ZDF Mediathek.

In particular, here and here are the sections where you can watch TV-movies (at least a couple new ones every week). These are generally new or fairly recent productions: as with most network TV, budget constraints and middle-brow tastes mean that you won’t find anything super-cool here, but if your purpose is to watch TV in order to learn the language, these Mediathek work perfectly fine.

Personally I prefer the ZDF Mediathek: the video quality is (slightly) better and you can always choose to use the subtitles for the movies if you want or need them. In the ARD/Das Erste Mediathek the subtitles are available only inconsistently. Occasionally some of the videos are geoblocked, but most can be viewed from abroad and in any given week I’ve always had more choice than I have had time to watch, so that’s not too bad.

As far as podcasts are concerned, I suppose you already know the Learn German page on the Deutsche Welle website and its podcast page organized by CEFR levels. Here for instance are the courses and programmes at B1.

Also, you can look at this podcast with pdf transcripts from the Goethe-Institut: Grüße aus Deutschland. I don’t think there’s an official CEFR level on it, but I believe that it should be at about A2/B1 level: anyway, you can judge for yourself if it’s worth your time.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: typos.

Edited by Emme on 23 November 2014 at 11:54am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 77 of 176
30 November 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I feel so dumb for not having found them earlier...

Thanks a bunch, Emme, your help is always very appreciated.

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 78 of 176
02 December 2014 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Short update.

I'm starting to feel some progress in my listening skills in Swedish. I can now listen to
Klartext understanding everything, with "just" about 10 to 20 uknown words each time. I'm also
trying to avoid using subtitles for tv programmes, which has turned out to be fairly OK.

I will start using FSI courses from now on. Those sentences might come in handy if I'll get to
go Erasmus in Sweden next year.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 79 of 176
04 December 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Jag vet att jag sa att jag skulle skriva här bara på svenska/tyska, men det tar väldigt lång att göra det. Alltså
det kommer inte att vara lika vanlig som jag planerade, men jag ska fortsätta ändå. Särskilt på svenska.
Jag är inne i en konstigt fas där jag kan tillräckligt ord för att följa en bok eller en film men inte alla. Men
problemet är att jag är för lat för att söka efter deras betydelse varje gång. Kanske måste jag hitta svårare
material.

I know I said that I would write only in Swedish/German here, but that takes a very long time to do. So it will not
be as usual as I planned, but I will continue nonetheless. Especially in swedish.
I'm in a weird phase where I know enough words to follow a book or a film, but not all of them. But the problem is
that I'm too lazy to look up their meaning every time. I should probably find harder material.

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 80 of 176
05 December 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I asked for harder material and I got it: my University has a Scandiavian section which today was giving away books, and I got "Särskilda Uppdrag - Två fall för Fandorin" a
thriller by Boris Akunin. It's a translation from Russian, but it seems really well written. I've read a few pages, averaging a 10-15 unknown words per page. I'm setting it
as my new goal to read 1 page a day. I might apply "Luca's Method" (Tranlating from L2 to L1 and back to L2 again after a few days), but that might take away a lot of time,
so I probably won't apply it to every single page.

Hej då!

Edited by Sarnek on 05 December 2014 at 12:41pm

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version