Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Sarnek’s Log - TAC ’15 (Rätsel, Sleipnir)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 21 22 Next >>
daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4303 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 145 of 176
30 April 2015 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Sarnek wrote:

I also hear the northern s as [s], why do you think it's [z]?

Because it is. In Standard German <s> is voiced in a voiced context, devoiced in an unvoiced context and voiceless syllable-final (not sure if there is a difference for this sound between the last two). Austrian German doesn't have [z] at all, northern Germans often overdo it and have more [z]'s than Standard German, hypercorrection maybe.
If you have misinterpreted my "northerners" with "Scandinavian", than we are talking about two different things of course ;)

edit: and "northern" is everything above the Weißwurst equator of course :)

Edited by daegga on 30 April 2015 at 5:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3997 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 146 of 176
30 April 2015 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Sarnek wrote:

I also hear the northern s as [s], why do you think it's [z]?

Because it is. In Standard German <s> is voiced in a voiced context, devoiced in an unvoiced context and voiceless syllable-final (not sure if there is a
difference for this sound between the last two). Austrian German doesn't have [z] at all, northern Germans often overdo it and have more [z]'s than
Standard German, hypercorrection maybe.
If you have misinterpreted my "northerners" with "Scandinavian", than we are talking about two different things of course ;)

edit: and "northern" is everything above the Weißwurst equator of course :)

Of course I mean northern German xD
I often hear it as [s], but it could be as you say because it is in unvoiced contexts. I honestly didn't know that this "rule" applied to fricatives as
well. Does that mean it applies to [f], too? Because I often hear fünvundzwanzig, and I was wondering whether it's a regional thing or not.
Also, another difference that is never quite described in details is the hard "ch", which is pronounced not-so-hard-yet-not-so-soft-either in certain words
like "auch". Yet the "rule" says that it should be hard (like in noch) after a hard vowel and soft after a soft vowel.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4303 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 147 of 176
30 April 2015 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Sarnek wrote:

Of course I mean northern German xD
I often hear it as [s], but it could be as you say because it is in unvoiced contexts. I honestly didn't know that this "rule" applied to fricatives as
well. Does that mean it applies to [f], too? Because I often hear fünvundzwanzig, and I was wondering whether it's a regional thing or not.
Also, another difference that is never quite described in details is the hard "ch", which is pronounced not-so-hard-yet-not-so-soft-either in certain words
like "auch". Yet the "rule" says that it should be hard (like in noch) after a hard vowel and soft after a soft vowel.

It doesn't apply to [f], but to [v]. But I'm sure you heard it correctly, these kind of assimilations can happen at least in colloquial speech.
Wiktionary says:     
süddeutsch: [fʏnf], [fʏɱf], Plural: [ˈfʏnfn̩], [ˈfʏɱfn̩]
norddeutsch: [fʏnf], [fʏɱf], Plural: [ˈfʏnvn̩], [ˈfʏɱvn̩]
So it seems to be accepted in formal settings too.
If you want a prescriptive answer, "Duden Aussprachewörterbuch" is the way to go, also for rules for composita (but the phonetic transcriptions are too broad, you shouldn't model your pronunciation on top of these transcriptions, you would sound like Hitler or so).
For more accurate descriptions of an average descriptive Standard German as spoken in Germany, better go with Deutsches Aussprachewörterbuch. This is a very interesting read by the way, with descriptions about what happens in different registers of speech.

The "ch" can be pronounced in 3 different ways (palatal, velar, uvular), some use only 2. Both velar and uvular are accepted pronunciations for /x/, so splitting that up doesn't make a difference in respect to the "rules".
palatal: ich (frontal)
velar: Buch (back)
uvular: ach (open)

For those using only 2 ways, I think you can hear all possible combinations, but in Standard German as defined in Germany, palatal is always amongst them. In Austria and I think also in Switzerland you could make a velar/uvular distinction. Or wrap them all together into either velar or uvular.

Edited by daegga on 30 April 2015 at 6:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3997 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 148 of 176
13 May 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I had the Swedish written exam yesterday. I got the results today. 28/30!
It was actually quite a surprise, the test was really really hard, especially the listening comprehension part, but I think I managed to get some extra points with the written composition part.
Anyhow, I'll have to focus on German now, I have the written exam in 10 days, and in the meanwhile I still have to study for the oral exam and a few others (I hate this time of the year).

I've watched a Swedish film without subtitles: Känn ingen sorg. It was a really good film, too bad my comprehension dropped down drastically in a few occasions. I'll watch it again in a few months to see how much I'll
have improved.

I'm almost done with the book, too. I had picked up a quick pace before other stuff came up and made me stop. Oh, well. The hardest part will be to write an analysis about it though.

I've made a few swedish friends over the internet. This should help me reach a certain degree of fluency before having to face a real conversation with a real person next year. As far as pronunciation is concerned I´ve
noticed that it wasn't really any different from the one I have whilst reading: that's good, it means that my work on vowels is paying off (although I'm still picking up new details which I need to work on). I can talk
quite fluently as well, with the occasional "uh... alltså..." from time to time. The problem is grammar. When I talk I make a few mistakes which I most of the time notice soon after I finish a sentence. Not syntax errors
perhaps. I'd say my biggest problem is with articles, namely when to use the definite or the indefinite one, and therefore conjugate the adjective and so on...

Also, this: http://swedia.ling.gu.se/. I love the internet.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 149 of 176
13 May 2015 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations!

And now that you reminded me, I really miss learning Swedish.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 150 of 176
14 May 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Congratulations to your results, Sarnek!

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3997 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 151 of 176
14 May 2015 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys!
You should get back to it, Cavesa ;P

I forgot to add that I've started watching dragonball z in German. I've watched 12 episodes so
far.

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3997 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 152 of 176
17 May 2015 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
I've just finished the folkuniversitetet's test for both Swedish and German.

Here are the results:

Swedish
Kategori     Självbedömning      Testresultat
Skriftlig färdighet     B2      
Grammatik och ordförråd           B2
Läsförståelse     B2      B2
Hörförståelse     B2      B2
Muntlig produktion     B2      
Muntlig interaktion     B1      

German
Category     Self assessment     Test result
Writing     B1      
Grammar and vocabulary           B1
Reading     B2      B2
Listening     B2      B2
Spoken Production     B2      
Spoken Interaction     B1      

Well... it's time to work for the C1 now :)

Edited by Sarnek on 17 May 2015 at 9:40am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version