Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Sarnek’s Log - TAC ’15 (Rätsel, Sleipnir)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 21 22 Next >>
Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3616 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 153 of 176
17 May 2015 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Well done :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 154 of 176
22 May 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Right. So I did the German exam today. It was pretty tough but I feel quite confident that I
passed. It consisted of 4 parts. A Diktat, a grammatic part (verbs with prepositions, Nominal
to Verbal frase and viceversa, Funktionsverben, translation of a few Italians sentences into
german, Konjungtiv I and II, Passiv, modal verbs and something else I can't recall), a reading
comprehension part, and a written part of a text of about 100 words. Predicted grade 25/30.
Now let's wait for the results...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 155 of 176
03 June 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I did the swedish oral exam today. Final grade 30/30. I did one part with my swedish teacher, discussing partly my analysis of the book (which, by the way, I've read about 3 times now (the book, not the analysis)...) and partly having a lovely
conversation about my future in Sweden. I had a second part (in Italian) with with my professor on scandinavian morphology, but there wasn't much swedish involved in it. I had to analyse a danish text and compare its morphosyntactical aspects with those
of the other scandinavian languages (faroese and icelandic included).

Still no news for German, but a professor told me the results should be out in a week or so.
I haven't practiced much German since the written exam, and I already have difficulties when trying to speak or read. German is like building a house of cards or playing a game of chess: one wrong word or ill-thought move and you must start it all
afresh. I need to be very consistent. I believe that my problem is essentially due to the fact that I haven't acquired solid basis in the language. This is why I must finish Assimil. I believe that not finishing it was my biggest mistake. I'll pick it
up again after July and in 150 days time I will have to have completed it.

Speaking of plans for the summer, I have decided to buy (and hopefully read) at least three books for Swedish: a fantasy book called "Den Sista Önskningen" (a translation from polish), a book by Olle Kjellin "Svensk prosodi i praktiken" and one more
book about swedish phonetics/prosody of which I can remember neither the title nor the author. These latter ones should help me read more "academic" writings.
I will also increase the amount of films. I haven't watched that many lately for obvious reasons, but I'm glad I could stick to watching an episode of "Vem vet mest" every day (except for Saturday and Sunday, when I usually watch documentaries instead).
This is probably the best (and most constant) habit I could pick up in my language-learning struggles. Right now I'm reading (or, you know, trying to) a little bit of "Särskilda uppdrag" every day. It's very hard both for the choice of words and the
structure (it's a translation from russian) and makes "Det är så logiskt alla fattar utom du" look like a book written for aphasics in comparison. But I shall endure the pain, even if I don't understand that much. I can still follow the plot though.
More or less.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4281 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 156 of 176
03 June 2015 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Great result!
Doesn't university start pretty early in Sweden, like August or so?
Academic writing in Swedish is by the way rather easy compared to German or even English. It's also easier than proper literature. I don't think you will have any problems with it in Sweden, at least not in the humanities.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 157 of 176
04 June 2015 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Thank you, daegga!
Yes, yes it does. I'll have to be there on the 18th of August and the courses start on the 31st I believe.
You're right about that, there isn't such a big difference in Swedish between different registers nowadays. I've read a paper once and it went surprisingly well. The topic was really interesting to me though, so that helped a lot.
I rather need to acquaint myself with a specific style and a more "technical" vocabulary so as to make learning in Swedish smoother. And what better way to do so than read about something I'm interested in anyway? :D
This is the paper btw..

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3616 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 158 of 176
05 June 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Do you know what you will be studying there? Will you be following any language classes
at all? I was quite lucky on my year abroad to be at a school with a dedicated language
centre attached for foreign students (although the rest of the university wasn't up to
much at all). What I have seen of Lund University so far is lovely, so I envy you quite a
bit, being able to study there full time for a year!

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 159 of 176
05 June 2015 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Elenia wrote:
Do you know what you will be studying there? Will you be following any language classes
at all? I was quite lucky on my year abroad to be at a school with a dedicated language
centre attached for foreign students (although the rest of the university wasn't up to
much at all). What I have seen of Lund University so far is lovely, so I envy you quite a
bit, being able to study there full time for a year!

I basically take the same classes I would normally take at my uni, with a few modifications based on my interests (where possible). These are the courses I hope to follow:
Swedish language, German language, Survey of Swedish literature, German literature after the Wall, language learning in children and adults and swedish prosody.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 3975 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 160 of 176
10 June 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Eine kurze Aktualisierung.
Heute habe ich die Ergebnisse meiner Prüfung Deutsch bekommen. 27/30. Es ist viel besser als das, was ich ertwartet hatte.
Jetzt muss ich mich auf die muntlige Prüfung vorbereiten, und viele verschiedene Artikel auf Deutsch lesen, die um die deutsche Syntax gehen. Ich lege die Prüfung nächste Woche ab.
Tschüss!

Edited by Sarnek on 10 June 2015 at 3:48pm

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version