Tags: Japan | Podcast
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 3
19 December 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
One link leads to another on the internet. I was reading a BBC article on the 5 healthiest cities in the world- Copenhagen's one of them, so we're going to have Iversen around for a long time! Ditto for Singapore- better stay put, New York Eric! So is Tokyo. I followed a link to Tokyo Weekender which is an English language news/info portal and read this article: Bilingual News podcast storming the charts in Japan. It's not your average newscast!

Tokyo Weekender wrote:
...It is Michael and Mami’s fluency of ideas as well as their language skills that seem to have contributed to their relatively sudden success – that and the fact their irreverent chats in fields as diverse as “a recent overweight call girl bust or evidence of psychedelic drug use in cave art” caught the ear of comedy-duo Bakusho Mondai, who referenced it on their hit show.

None of it is scripted, to the point that, Michael explains, the two don’t even discuss opinions or insights on the chosen topics before coming to record. “One problem with a lot of the formal, more ‘professional’ podcasts, is that the structure itself obstructs natural thought or conversation. I think in order to learn to speak a language it helps to learn to think in that language first. Most podcasts try to tell you what to say without teaching you how to think.”

“On the surface the podcast is about language study,” says Michael. “But on a deeper level it is about initiating a more open conversation between Japanese people and the rest of the world.”...

Bilingual News on iTunes

Edited by iguanamon on 19 December 2013 at 1:43pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4658 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 3
20 December 2013 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
I've listened to it before. I must say that I'm a sucker for polished productions (I majored in television and radio production at my university), so I didn't keep it in my podcasting software because it is unscripted and unpolished. It does sound like two people just talking in front of a cell phone microphone or something. Not the best quality.

However - I must have listened to the wrong episode or something - I didn't notice the diversity of the news topics. If that is the case, I'm willing to give this another try.

It should be said that, although English speakers can certainly use this, the podcast is geared towards Japanese speakers. Everything is in Japanese, except for the part where Michael reads (says? No script, right?) the news in English.

It should also be said that English-learning fads come and go in Japan like fashion trends, so it's not surprising that Bilingual News is number one right now and getting the attention of comedians like Bakusho Mondai, and it won't be surprising when it is all but forgotten next month. That is not an indictment on the podcast itself; this seems to be a very useful tool. Think all-audio parallel texts! All-aural L-R? I don't know how you would use it that way, though - Japanese in the left speaker and English in the right? Could be confusing. I kid, but seriously, this could be a very useful tool.

Edited by kujichagulia on 20 December 2013 at 2:01am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5577 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
20 December 2013 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
It should be said that, although English speakers can certainly use this, the podcast is geared towards Japanese speakers. Everything is in Japanese, except for the part where Michael reads (says? No script, right?) the news in English.

I listened to some of the episodes and they started talking more and more in English until I stopped listening because of that, and because of a discussion about interspecies crossbreeding that produces sterile offspring and somehow they related that to ethnicity. (It was not racist, only totally uninformed about the underlying genetic issues.)
To be fair, they had one or two episodes where Michael and a guest talked about their experiences growing up between two cultures, which was really interesting. (but might have just been the one with the mules.)

Edited by Bao on 20 December 2013 at 2:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version