United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 43
19 December 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
(Note to taggers: We're not a TAC team.)

Transliteration: is.t n(j).t r n(j) km.t
Manuel de codage: iz-t:1-A1:1*1*1 n:t r:1 n km-m-t:O49
English: Team Egyptian

(Please feel free to suggest corrections to the team name! The is.t n(j).t part is probably unidiomatic.)

About This Team

We've decided that we're going to mess around with Middle Egyptian a little bit every week. Nothing strenuous. In fact, this is something of an experiment to see how far we can go without actually obsessing.

New members are welcome! It's OK if you want to study fast, or if you're just getting started. You can study anything from Archaic Egyptian to Coptic, if you can find the resources.

Team Logs

Teango
tarvos
vermillion
emk (previously here and here)

Courses & Reference Works

- Assimil's L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique. 101 lessons. Excellent, with a French base. The audio CDs are optional, but they make it easier to remember.
- Allen's Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs. A gentle overview of the grammar, with all kinds of very useful sections, including one listing and explaining about two dozen common particles.
- Loprieno's Ancient Egyptian: A Linguistic Introduction. Nice and meaty linguistic overview.
- Collier, et al.'s How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs. A traditional-style course, with a strong emphasis on reading tomb inscriptions.
- A concise overview of Egyptian grammar using standard linguistics terminology.
- hierogl.ch. An utterly fantastic online dictionary (if you read French).
- Vermillion has also discovered Egyptian words in the Wikitionary. It's quite extensive.
- Aegyptisches handwörterbuch. The classic, comprehensive dictionary (if you read German handwriting).
- Thesaurus Linguae Aegyptiae, an online and updated version of the Aegyptisches handwörterbuch. Painful to use, but absolutely the best source of for obscure definitions. We have some basic instructions, too.
- Anki deck with 165 common signs. English base, updated August 2014 to include only the most important signs.

Things to Read

- The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Hieroglyphs with occasional translator's notes in English.
- Projet d'index global des inscriptions des temples de Karnak. Hieroglyphs and transliterations, searchable by transliteration. Here's an example.
- A New Concordance of the Pyramid Texts (found on this excellent list of online resources, so I believe this is public and officially sanctioned).
- Les aventures de Sinouhé. Hieroglyphs, transliteration, French translation. Be careful with the translation; some of MdV's authors have rather original theories.
- St Andrews corpus, including a large number of PDF files with hieroglyphs, transliterations and translations, plus an XML corpus and Java-based viewer.
- The Westcar papyrus online, with detailed commentary and a dictionary mode.
- And what about Budge?

Technological Goodies

- Grab the Gardiner.tff font to view the hieroglyphs in this thread.
- To enter hieroglyphs on computers, it helps to know the Manuel de Codage conventions.
- To typeset hieroglyphs, try JSesh.
- Linux users familiar with ibus may want to try these experimental input methods.
- To format Egyptian texts for display on HTLAL, check out hierogloss.

As we discover resources, these lists will grow.

Welcome! Let's have fun. And please feel free to correct any mistakes you find.

Edited by emk on 31 August 2014 at 5:18pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5315 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 2 of 43
20 December 2013 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Thanks for adding me to the team, emk, this is a prologue worthy of Seshat herself! I was particularly interested in your link to the Karnak project which I hadn't seen before - it's always great to see Middle Egyptian inscriptions accompanied by photos of the genuine article.

By way of an introduction for the team thread, I've always been fascinated with Ancient Egypt and its mysterious hieroglyphics since a boy, probably from the first moment I picked up a book in the local library and examined the array of magical symbols in wide-eyed amazement. I still even remember the meanings of a few of the names and titles such as twt-ʿnḫ-imn ("the living image of Amun"), Nfr.t-jy.tj ("the beauty has come", although I used to think it meant "beautiful image"), and nsw-bi.tj ("the King of Upper and Lower Egypt").

Yet Egyptian hieroglyphics has always been a passing (or should I say resurrecting) interest. And I've dabbled very lightly for a few years here on the Forum, but simply for a bit of fun and never seriously (e.g., Carry on Cleo). During this time, I've read a few chapters of Collier and Manley's "How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs", learned more about Ancient Egyptian culture and stories, studied about 100 Anki flashcards using Hierowriter with "Manuel de codage" coding, and crawled slowly like a sloth through about a quarter of Assimil's "L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique" (and so far, I haven't touched any Budge either). ;)

Every time I see a rerun of TimeGate or the Mummy Returns, I get that urge again to pick up a book and learn another few symbols or learn more about the grammar, and it's great to have fellow fans of the language out there like emk, who help reassure me I'm not completely crazy or alone in my esoteric sideboard studies. As for my plans, I'm looking forward to finishing Assimil and my Middle Egyptian version of "Peter Rabbit" by May 2015, and hope to move on to more intimidating texts like "The Story of Sinuhe" and "The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor" later on.

I can't think of any resources to top emk's excellent list above, however I think the AEL and Reshafim collections are probably worth a mention here, and Gardiner's Sign List comes in handy for quick online reference from time to time.

Edited by Teango on 20 December 2013 at 9:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5167 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 3 of 43
20 December 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see that some will be studying Ancient Egyptian !

If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to post questions.

As for resources and texts to read, I think I posted some links in one of emk's logs some time ago.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 43
20 December 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I caved and bought the textbook. Not the cd's
though. Now I should be a part of this team!
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 43
20 December 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Teango: Ooh, more links! Shiny.

akkadboy: I'm so glad you dropped by! Thank you for all the help you provided when I started Egyptian. And if you want to offer us any fiendish translation challenges, please feel free. :-)

tarvos: Welcome! It's great to have you. If you decide to keep an Egyptian log elsewhere, please let us know what thread.

Clearly, we need to have some cool team activities. Since I never could resist a good science fiction movie, let's start with that scene in Stargate.

A New Year's Challenge: Stargate

r:n:p-rnp-t:3-I8&V20-r:q-b-H-w-W15-N1:N25-p-w-r:a-C1-m-i-t:n -N8
m-x-m-t-S20-V97#1234-n:f-q:r-s-T19#1234-A24#1234-Q6:A55#12-f :n-D&t-tA:r-G21-H-H-ra:N23
s#1234-sbA#34-b#1234-O32#34-n:3#34-s-b-A-sbA:ra-3:f

DANIEL: Well, this should read: "A million years into the sky is Ra, sun god, sealed and buried for all time..." It's not "door to heaven". "His Stargate."

How much of this can we transliterate and translate? After Teango writes up his projects first, of course. :-)

I spent quite a while looping through this scene on my laptop, and I think I managed to get almost all the hieroglyphs, including the infamous third line that only appears for a fraction of a second. Doubtful and partially obscured hieroglyphs are marked with hachures. You can find more challenge materials here, including Daniel's complete dialog and a short video clip of him at the blackboard (which I believe is brief enough to be covered by fair use in this context).

For more information about the Egyptologist who worked on Stargate, scroll down to the bottom of this page and check out the magazine article.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 43
20 December 2013 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Nah, I will use my old one. I like having everything in one place.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4437 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 7 of 43
21 December 2013 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Argh, this is indeed very tempting to join! I'm going to France for a week, my "Égyptien sans peine" is over there, I may consider bringing it back...

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 43
21 December 2013 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Argh, this is indeed very tempting to join!

We'd love to have you! And this is going to be a very laid-back team. Teango and I, for example, are hoping to finish Assimil by May 2015. So it's not like it would really interfere with your other projects. Give into the temptation, and join us for an occasional decipherment. :-)

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version