Diglot
Portugal
Joined 3863 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese

Message 9 of 15
21 December 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
It is true that I hear this very often in the UK, and it might become even more complicated when the two "have"'s are mixed, like "You have had to have got the book in stock today", but therein itself, it has different meanings:

"Have you got the lesson today?" (Do you understand today's lesson?)
"Have you got the lesson today?" (Do you have the lecture notes for the lesson today?)
"Have you got the lesson today?" (Do you have to attend the lesson today?)
"Have you got the lesson today?" (Did you receive the notes for the lesson today?)

Changing "the lesson today" to "today's lesson" would help in sentences 1 and 2, and 4 at a pinch.
[Sentence 3 doesn't make much sense unless we know what lesson you're talking about: English, that boring lesson, the one you're supposed to have prepared but haven't yet......]

1e4e6 wrote:
Then the meanings carry into other tenses with "have":
"Have you have gotten the lesson today?"
"Have you had gotten the lesson today?"
I remember these combinations because once I asked an acquaintance who is runs a book
publishing house, "You had have to have had gotten this book in stock today, yes?"

Now, maybe it's just me, but I haven't ever come across those constructions. Especially the one with the frabjous "had have to have had". Did you really ask that mind-boggling question? And how did your acquaintance react?
2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5643 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 10 of 15
21 December 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

These 2 sentences are meaningless and are totally wrong grammatically. Are you an actual native speaker of English?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 15
21 December 2013 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Well yeah it kinda looks as if gotten is some remote participle or something :-) gotten isn't any further away in time than got, so something's wrong if you can't replace it.

As for the book thing, wouldn't it be better to say something like: "You must have needed to get this book in stock today?"
1 person has voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 12 of 15
21 December 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
In my dialect, which is from the South West US, I would use "got" in various forms when speaking, but I would never write it outside of dialog or a situation like this. For me, these constructions are the most common:

"Do you understand?" "Yea, I got it."
"Did you receive the email?" "Yea, I got it."
"Can you handle this?" "Yea, I got it."

I would also use all of those constructions with "I've" instead of "I", but for possession, it feels weird to just say "I" and I would only use "I've" unless I was imitating another dialect. So:

"Do you own a TV?" "Yea, I've got one."

In writing I would use verbs like "have" or "understand" depending on the context.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4101 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 15
21 December 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Sepp wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
It is true that I hear this very often in the UK, and it
might become even more complicated when the two "have"'s are mixed, like "You have had
to have got the book in stock today", but therein itself, it has different meanings:

"Have you got the lesson today?" (Do you understand today's lesson?)
"Have you got the lesson today?" (Do you have the lecture notes for the lesson today?)
"Have you got the lesson today?" (Do you have to attend the lesson today?)
"Have you got the lesson today?" (Did you receive the notes for the lesson today?)

Changing "the lesson today" to "today's lesson" would help in sentences 1 and 2, and 4
at a pinch.
[Sentence 3 doesn't make much sense unless we know what lesson you're talking
about: English, that boring lesson, the one you're supposed to have prepared but
haven't yet......]

1e4e6 wrote:
I remember these combinations because once I asked an acquaintance who is runs a book
publishing house, "You had have to have had gotten this book in stock today, yes?"

Now, maybe it's just me, but I haven't ever come across those constructions. Especially
the one with the frabjous "had have to have had". Did you really ask that mind-boggling
question? And how did your acquaintance react?

"No, next Wednesday." He is Danish, so not a native English speaker, but they have very
high English skills anyway. The combination "You have had to have gotten..." usually
implies strong probability or duty/obligation that may or may not have occurred, i.e.,
"England have had to have had gotten a win in Perth last week"--something absolutely
imperative that should have happened, which sadly did not happen.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 21 December 2013 at 8:54pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3843 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 14 of 15
21 December 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Double perfects aren't uncommon in dialects.

I know only two which seem to exist where I'm at; I have never heard what 1e4e6 claimed to have heard.

They are both conditional:

I would have V to have

If I had've

The second one is interesting since the usual word order (have had) is reversed.

Have-got reminds me of compound words in Mandarin. Like Kanjian which is used together to avoid homonym
trouble. I would write it as havegot if I were permitted. heh.

Edited by Stolan on 21 December 2013 at 8:56pm

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5191 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 15 of 15
28 December 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged 

"You had have to have had gotten this book in stock today, yes?" - sounds awkward to me. Are you meaning it in the sense of, "oh, a new book! You have to have gotten this today, right?". Which still sounds weird; "you must have gotten this today" sounds much better. Or is it expressing a kind of conditional, "you would have had to have gotten this today, or it wouldn't be sitting in a pile of books on the counter"?

Isn't it funny how everything starts to sound wrong if you think about it too much?

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version