Triglot
Canada
Joined 4244 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 17 of 19
25 August 2014 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
There are 3 foreigners who are fluent Cantonese-speakers dedicated to teaching the language:

1. Hugh Baker: he is an English professor in Hong Kong who wrote a Cantonese study guide: "Complete
Cantonese by Hugh Baker and Pui-Kei Ho".
香港故事 - Cantonese (PART 1)
2. Cecile Gamst Berg: Norwegian who is teaching Cantonese to foreigners in Hong Kong. Her online site:
Happy Jellyfish
3. Carlos Douh: Canadian from Vancouver living in Hong Kong who is teaching Cantonese to foreigners
with the slogan: "Hear it, speak it, memorize it". His online site:
CarlosDouh

Mandarin tends to be more popular as a language due to the size of the Chinese population. Foreigners
tend to learn Mandarin first before moving to Cantonese. Before 1997 it was more common to see
standard Mandarin used in writing in newspapers and magazines. Now a lot of magazines in Hong Kong
are writing in Cantonese. A lot of Chinese subtitles in Cantonese movies tend to be in standard
Mandarin although some are in Cantonese. Once upon a time, the schools in Hong Kong would teach
standard Mandarin for writing but teach Chinese classes in Cantonese because writing in Cantonese was
considered improper. Now it is very common to see Cantonese on online blogs.

Once upon a time, Westerners tend to see more movies from Hong Kong such as those with Bruce Lee
because there were very few available from China. Now we are seeing a lot more from Mainland China
including those directed by Zhang Yimou. The Rush Hour series with Jackie Chan & Chris Tucker most of
the dialog is in English with some Mandarin phrases in between but very few in Cantonese.

Good luck...

Edited by shk00design on 25 August 2014 at 4:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4054 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 18 of 19
25 August 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping that Johhny To and Wong Kar Wai will continue making Cantonese film in the future, though I understand that's more difficult nowadays. Though my main interest is in older films, so the current dominance of Mandarin language cinema doesn't concern me too much, and I'll probably end up studying Mandarin one day as well, since a lot of Mandarin films came out of Hong Kong as well, and there's also a lot of great Taiwanese cinema out there.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4244 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 19 of 19
25 August 2014 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
A set of Cantonese videos on YouTube from Hong Kong on correct pronunciations:

Cantonese - 粵講粵啱 - PART 1

There are 4 parts to this series with correct pronunciation on different words. Technically Cantonese has
9 tones. Some would classify it as having 6 tones with 3 being different being short & long giving 9.

You can find other Cantonese learning videos on YouTube such as:
Teach Yourself Cantonese Unit 1
Dialogue

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version