Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6335 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 1 of 4
21 December 2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to start the log for 2014 TAC challenge. The focus this year will be on French, Turkish, and written English, but I could also dabble with Arabic and/or German.
I'm in teams Yurukler and French.

Now about my goals and materials for each language.

French
I've been learning French on and off for more than 10 years. My current level is around B1, and for this year I'd like to raise it up to B2. Currently, I can understand around 60% of rfi.fr l'actualite en Français Facile, and can find my way around on French websites. What I'd like to be able to do at the end of the year is to understand at least 90% of the easy news on tv5monde and rfi; express my thoughts about everyday matters and maybe be able to pass DELF B2 with 51%.

As I'm the member of the local Alliance Français, I'll be using the coursebooks from the library there. At the moment I have 'Latitudes 3' and 'Version originale 3.' I will also try to listen to the news at least once or twice a week, reading the script, and listen to the songs from the tv5monde website. For the productive skills I'll be talking to myself and writing at lang-8.

Turkish
My Turkish is enough to function in most situations, and I guess my understanding is at least at strong C1. My goals are to improve my reading and vocabulary, as well as pronunciation.

I don't have any specifically learning materials planned for Turkish. It will be just talking in Turkish and watching some TV series and programmes, looking up the unknown words. Also, I have a book to read next, 'Saatler ayarlama enstitusu', and I will try to finish it by the end of January. Perhaps I should also write regularly on lang-8, and record myself when speaking.

Edited by solka on 22 December 2013 at 2:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 4
26 December 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your goals. See you around!
2 persons have voted this message useful

solka
Tetraglot
Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6335 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 3 of 4
26 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi, thank you! I hope we'll help motivate each other through the year :)

Well, just thinking that I would have to write something for this log makes me study
more, so I can say that TAC has already had a good effect on my language learning.

French
I've done some work on Latitudes, read a text about childhood memories and wrote an
entry about my memory on lang-8.

Some lexis from the coursebook:
l'heure de goûter - полдник, a mid-afternoon/early evening snack
rater le réveillon - miss the New Year's Eve (or Christmas) dinner
Expressions to talk about memories:
je me souviens de .../ je me souviens que .../ rappelle-toi/ je me rappelle de
(que).../
je ne m'en souviens pas/ ça ne me revient pas

I've also read 24 pages of 'Eugénie Grandet' by Balzac. I got the book from the library
out of pure curiosity: it was on a shelf of graded readers and easy books, and had an
'A2' sticker on it. Why is that I do not know, but it's definitely not at A2. I've
started reading just the French book, and it took me about 5 days to read the first
page, because all the words I didn't know, and the structures that made it difficult to
understand even the sentences with no unknown words. Then I downloaded the Russian
translation onto my phone, and was struck by how easy it was to read in my native
language :)
As an aside, I have to admit that I can still enjoy the classical literature only in
Russian. Even though I often prefer to read non-fiction literature in English, and I
hate it when the computer is in Russian (mine is in English), reading classical
literature (19th century and earlier) in anything but Russian seems to be a chore.
So, I decided to read this book in parallel-text kind of way. I read the Russian first,
and then read the French, sometimes going back to Russian to compare words or
understand some difficult passage. This makes reading much more pleasurable, as I
understand it fully, and the book doesn't seem boring anymore :)

One more thing I did is I started listening to Harry Potter audio book in French. I can
only catch some familiar moments, and only because I listened to the English version
recently. And I must admit that I don't like the way the French guy reads it, Ron's
lisp is especially irritating.

Edited by solka on 26 December 2013 at 6:03pm

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4422 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 4 of 4
31 December 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Meilleurs vœux pour le TAC 2014! I 'm the Godmother for the French team so if you need my help;)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version