Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 17 of 415
06 January 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
One more day is over! It took longer and the schedule went through the afternoon,
thanks to a change at work
shift. It's my last day at work after a couple of weeks of holidays, so, it's all
right.

The good news from the weekend is that I managed to install duolingo and memrise apps
for the iPad. It's a way to
bypass audio/video blocking when applied and to have more stuff for shorter dead times
on weekends. Besides, both
are interactive, colorful, nice fonts. Duolingo does help with active skills for
German, and as for Memrise, I
finally started HSK level 1! I'm going to use Memrise more and more and leave Anki
behind, as the Anki app is
paid and I don't really enjoy doing my own decks anyway. I'm happy about that and this
alone was worth the new
tablet's purchase.

Now for today:

Chinese
I feel more confident now that these memrise courses will set up a consistent goal for
my Mandarin. No matter how
long it may take, once I'm done with HSK 3 lists I will be confident enough to do
tests, even if just a placement
test for my former teacher's school. I've just started HSK1 course at Memrise and, even
though I'm mostly
reviewing, I do have some gaps to follow, as there are several characters which aren't
exactly frequent but are
taught at this level due to radicals composition. As for the other resources, not much
new. These Everyday
Chinese fables start to seem short enough for me to do them quickly, while I missed
transcript at Travel in
Chinese because I has to use a different computer which lacked fonts (as I write now I
realize I could've just
opened the same link at YT at the tablet as well, but copy/pasting sucks at these, so,
I'd stick to reading the
characters extensively, anyway).

Georgian
Finished 'Lord of the Flies'! Tomorrow I'm going to start a much easier, user-friendly
book which is already set
up in mirrored bilingual pages. Then I'm going to keep reading shorter and lighter
stuff till I feel comfortable
enough. I do want to start a Georgian novel by the end of the year, and I became
optimist again after today's
TYGFES first excerpt. I could follow the story as I looked up words at the glossary and
sometimes at GT. There
wasn't a translation and yet I managed to do two pages, which means I may finish this
book next week. I only
regret still being unable to pay full attention to ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები, because I'm
under the impression that I
will soon start to pick up more than I used to.

Norwegian
The calm days with reading a children's book is over. Now I'm reading Beatles as
I listen to the
audiobook. I look up some 10 words each page, sometimes less, sometimes a few more. Not
many and almost granting
me to trying extensive reading, but since I'm also listening I have to pause the
playback and resume it later, so
it is taking longer than usual. I only hope it won't ruin my schedule. I still kept the
10 pages ratio, which
means this book will be around for several months, as it has almost seven-hundred
pages.

French
It was the first time I tried looking up French words at the dictionary from iBooks. It
worked well, only a few
words were missing, probably due to bad formatting, and I resisted getting up and
looking them up at the desktop
=D. I'm reading LLe chant des sorcières: tome I and I start to feel attached to
the story, even though I
keep having the feeling that I should be reading something contemporary to improve my
vocabulary. Speaking of
films: I got supplied with a few comedies: Le dîner des cons, Les beaux gosses, Les
11 Commandements
(I
might be missing another one I forgot).

Papiamento
Still doing the minimal of watching a short news clip, though I can still notice I've
improved a bit in the past
days, while listening totally in the background. Will see if I can work on the novel
starting tomorrow.

Russian
I wish there was already a duolingo course for Russian. I'd benefit enormously from it.
I'm still seeing the
light at the end of the tunnel and aiming at it. I may even finish the year reading
better in Russian than in
Georgian! Though I dream of being able to read both.

German
Duolingo rocks, and Assimil is still too easy. For a second I thought about starting
Fokus Deutsch, but I already
have too much noise on my head. Let's see how much time I will gain (or not) when I
replace my current Georgian
textbooks with more straightforward ones, though I'm still reluctant to bite more.

All in all, I know where the weak points reside: I need a native resource for Russian,
either reading or video;
active conversation for Mandarin; more focus at watching Georgian; a native resource
for German; active writing
for Norwegian and French and I need to start Estonian to bring in some new air, but I'm
still consolidating my
working plan and don't want to add more tasks.

Edited by Expugnator on 06 January 2014 at 9:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3908 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 415
06 January 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I wish there was already a duolingo course for Russian

me too :)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 19 of 415
06 January 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
[...] I just wanna say that I recovered the list of all my books.[...]

That’s good news! You had me worried there for a while.
When my laptop died I was devastated even though everything but a week or two’s worth of files was backed up in an external hard drive, so I know how it feels. I’m happy the loss didn’t turn out as catastrophic as appeared at first.

Edited by Emme on 06 January 2014 at 10:42pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 20 of 415
07 January 2014 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Another busy day, despite being my first day on vacation.

I'm just maintaining my Chinese, that is, I'm not seeing noticeable
progress. About to finish a level at the podcast, doing Anki sentences, doing Memrise too,
watching Travel in Chinese and 喜羊羊. I couldn't do my presentation challenge for Chinese yday
because I was at a computer w/o fonts, don't know when I'll get down to it, though. Maybe I still
can't write a consistent dialogue.

Georgian was quite tiresome today, because both textbooks are
coming to an end and consist now of long excerpts. OTOH, the native resource I'm using is actually
a bilingual novel, პალომა, and it's much easier than the literary stuff at the textbooks. In a few
days I'll be done with both books. I've tried watching ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები with a bit more focus.
I'm still far from actually understanding, but I hope I eventually will. Maybe I should focus on
the sounds, like Elcomadreja says at his Cebuano log.

I got startled a bit with Norwegian when I noticed episode 5,
season 2 of Himmelblå lacked embedded subtitles. I had tried to search for subtitles on my own and
gave up. Luckily today I managed to find subtitles for the whole season, which gives me a few more
days. The short experience of watching without subtitles showed me I still have a lot to learn
till I reach any sort of fluency. So did the listening and reading of the book Beatles. I'm
looking up a lot of words, and it's slow indeed, but I'm feeling that those words will eventually
stick and once I'm done with this book I'll be at a better level.

Papiamento reading was finally continued. Just two short pages, but
enough to make me realize this is indeed one of my best languages. I also found it quite easy to
listen to today's video. I could have even transcribed it if I had focused.

Other languages didn't bring anything remarkable. I'm just doing textbook studying with German and
Russian, and enjoying native materials with French.

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3908 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 415
07 January 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
LL é a coleção Living Language, muito boa por sinal!

Feel free to ask me anything about Russian and French learning, I've already seen your
log and I believe we may have a lot to share. I've been to Paris two years ago and I've
started Russian in November 2012 but still struggling.

Certo, valeu!

Estou indo à Paris esse ano, em Abril. Até lá, quero praticar intensivamente o Francês
e ocasionalmente o Russo. Depois inverto :)

Sucesso nos estudos.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4646 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 22 of 415
07 January 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to ask you - how firm do you feel with reading in Georgian?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 23 of 415
08 January 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Well, not firm at all =D > I can get the gist of a text with a dictionary, but it's
better to just follow a translation along. I still know too feel verbal forms as well
as abstract nouns.

I still have to finish two Chinese activities (cartoon and textbook), the French video
and the Papiamento novel, but I can already say that today was particularly tiresome.
It's a lot to read 20 pages in French then 10 in Norwegian with audio then 30 minutes
of Georgian TV with little comprehension, not to forget the Norwegian TV and the
Georgian reading in the morning. Anyway, I've been keeping this schedule at current
length for at least 1 year, and it is not time to take back. What I really dream of is
becoming better at my ever-lasting Russian, Chinese and Georgian so I can actually
start enjoying them.

What a funny coincidence! I logged in to my YT account and I was suggested a Georgian
film with subtitles in Russian - ok, no surprises - and...Estonian! Of course I can't
make any use of it now, but I take it as a sign. Yday I almost started dabbling at
Colloquial Estonian, as I had nothing to do the early evening and had already read
enough on other subjects apart from language learning, but resisted. I checked both
Anki and Memrise, and they are served with good decks, like book2's course, Colloquial
Estonian and Basic Course in Estonian. As for the actual textbooks, I think the only
one I'm really missing is Estonian Textbook, and even though it is praised as the best
out there, I think that for 71US$ I can do without it. There are the courses at
panglossos and oneness (hope it gets back online!) plus all of the other material
commonly available.

Once again I realize the importance of version (i.e. translation into the target
language) exercises for boosting my active skills. I used to do them them for French
and German and they worked pretty well already at the A1 level. I'll have to do them
for Chinese, don't know how, because I haven't seen such textbooks since I finished
Assimil. As for Norwegian, I managed to do without these version exercises by going
through L/R and watching videos with subtitles being pasted and translated at GT.
Russian will give me such exercises at the old TY, and Georgian, at Basic Georgian. I
even plan to share my answers to the exercises from Basic Georgian at another group, as
there are no answer keys.

So, if you can mention a Chinese textbook other than Assimil or Méthode 90 which
follows the pattern of version/translation exercises with short sentences, please tell
me! I'm having audio input but no writing output at this moment, and I feel the need to
warm up my writing skills.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 24 of 415
08 January 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Colloquial Estonian. Eeeewww. Do. Not. Use. It.

I recommend most strongly TY Estonian over Colloquial E.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version