Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 33 of 415
10 January 2014 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
The trip took longer than expected - which is quite normal, but I arrived safe. I could
still manage to study the whole schedule. The good news is that I finished Teach
Yourself Georgian: for English Speakers, a book that helped me enormously. Now I can
proceed to Basic Georgian - in fact I've already been through the first 2 lessons. Only
one page left for EGS too, and I'll start 'A Georgian Reader'. It seems I'm focusing in
Georgian these days, and it's not true, not in terms of minutes spent daily, it's
rather that I'm going through a critical stage and I have to decide what to do with the
language.

Norwegian seemed easier today. I could follow Himmelblå almost with no pauses for
looking words up. As for the book, I did have much trouble, but much less than the day
before, and the 4 audio tracks took me through 12 pages. I realized it's important to
learn dialogue marking words such as 'say', 'reiterates' 'grumbles' etc as well as
character position and direction ones such as 'turns to', 'nods', 'turns back' as soon
as possible in a language when you start reading a novel, so you don't have to look
them up once in a while. You lose time by doing so and they don't add much to the
story. Maybe it's even better to keep a list as the same author tends to repeat the
same words and you get to master them sooner.

I managed to read the French book, the Georgian billingual story and the Russian lesson
while still on the bus, and I did Anki, too. That saved me some time for the afternoon
when I had to go through all the audio+computer+internet demanding activities. I had a
good understanding of the Chinese cartoon as well as of the dialogues in Chinese
characters at Travel in Chinese (I read them before playing the lesson).
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 34 of 415
12 January 2014 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
It was a long day and I managed to study, even though it was Saturday and my dad's
birthday. All went well!

I finished Enführung in die Georgische Sprache, finally. Now I'm motivated to go for
the other books. I studied lesson 3 from Basic Georgian and next time I'll start A
Georgian Reader to replace EGS. The good news is that it is one more resource I can
study from the tablet alone, in dead times. When studying EGS I needed to look up a lot
of words in German. With those two replacements (3 if we count Lord of the Flies I
finished 5 days ago) for Georgian I expect to save up to 20 minutes in my daily
schedule.

I'm finally getting the hang of the book Beatles, in Norwegian. I can read it
extensively almost effortlessly, but I'm still pausing and playing the audio and
looking words up. I think I'm benefiting a lot from this book. Next one might be even
smoother.

Travel in Chinese lessons also start to get easier. I'm finding time for Memrise too,
in fact I'm working on three lists for Chinese, which are Anki sentences, Tuttle's
flashcards and Memrise. I still like Duolingo better than Memrise because it offers the
opportunity to even pronounce sentences in the language (I know, I could be doing this
on my own but it's not the same thing as being "forced" to), but now I can only use it
for German as I know the other languages at an advanced level.

LL Russian is over next week, so I'm going to start a silent time while I work at the
old TY Russian. I'm eager about finishing Assimil German Without Toil and now I realize
I have only 28 lessons left, which means 4 days of study. Then I will start the other
editions which are actually easier, and maybe I can go faster. I'll leave the
translation exercises for when I do the ld TY edition in Portuguese, I have such a good
experience with using this book for French and I'm putting all my hope at it for
helping me with both Russian and German, the languages I've had most false starts at.

Not really suffering from wanderlust, but besides Estonian I feel like going for my
upcoming languages, which are Turkish and Indonesian, thanks to the good logs I've seen
over there. Will stick to the plan, though.

I believe I'm repeating myself and should update less often, it's just that I like the
new developments so far and I'm starting to notice an overall progress.

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4313 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 35 of 415
12 January 2014 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Hey, just wanted to say I enjoy reading your log, though I don't usually post since I don't have anything useful to add. It's inspiring how you manage to get so much studying done consistently each day in all of your languages. I've been thinking about how I'm going to continue to improve my languages as I add more and your schedule has given me some ideas.

Also, thanks for the correction in the Exploradores team thread! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4040 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 415
12 January 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
See on minule väga huvitavat näha, kuidas nad, kes ei oska soome keelt, õpivad eesti keelt.

Ma kasutan ise ainult materjale mis on tähendatud soomlastele, ja siis ma ei tea midagi neist muukeelseist raamatuist.

Siin on sulle hea veebileht, kui sa midagi pead revideerima eesti keele pööramisest. Eesti keele süntesaator andab igase moodi, mille saab õigeks lugeda.

Eesti keele syntesaator

Ma soovitan, et vaatad ainult omastava (genitive) ja osastava (partitive), sest iga käände saab moodustada neist vormidest. (Ehk illative on hea vaatada ka, sest see on mõnikord ebareeglipärane)

Võib-olla tahad eesti keele pärast soome keelt õppida :)

Edited by Henkkles on 12 January 2014 at 9:15am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 37 of 415
12 January 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Henkkles and WoofCreature!

I still haven't started learning Estonian, but I'm sure this link will be useful. It was
already good to know that Google Translator works better for Estonian than for Georgian
:D Funnily enough, to see in Georgian is ნახე (reads: nakhe). I've read that Estonian
borrowed some syntax features from German, and I wonder how far it goes. Georgian is
typically S-O-V, so in complex sentences word order in Georgian and German is quite
similar, and it was actually thanks to Georgian that I finally became used to German's
'unusual' word order.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 38 of 415
12 January 2014 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
When I started studying Russian, in order to make sense out of the chaos, I traced an
analogy with French when it comes to the genitive case.

Just like (thanks to the 'pas') French uses the preposition 'de' in negations, which is
the same one use for possession, attribute, Russian uses the genitive.

Je n'ai pas d'argent -> in Russianm that'd be genitive case, right?

Same goes for plurals. French prefers plurals with 'des', that is, partitive article
but actually the preposition that governs possession and attribute, too. Same in
Russian, where you use the genitive singular and then plural.

I know, this is far from being scientific but it does help making sense out of things.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 39 of 415
12 January 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
It's sunday and I decided not to study. So I took the day for working on active skills!
This is a regrettable attempt on Chinese, for the Writing Dialogues Challenge.

你去哪儿?
去商场。
想什么东西?
我想买衣服,还想买运动鞋。
在那个商场卖的运动鞋便宜吗?
很便宜!这个月有大甩卖,卖的东西都很便宜。
你买T恤衫吗?
买。这个城市和我住的城市卖的T恤衫不是 一样的的,所以这个商场卖的T恤衫又好看, � �新奇
(pinyin for the last sentence: Zhège chéngshì hé wǒ zhù de chéngshì mài de T xùshān
bùshì yīyàng de, suǒyǐ zhège shāngchǎng mài de T xùshān yòu hǎokàn, yòu xīnqí.)

- Where are you going?
- I'm going to the mall.
- What do you want to buy?
- I want to buy clothes and sneakers.
- Are the sneakers being sold at that mall cheap?
- Very cheap! This mall has a big sale, everything there is very cheap.
- Are you going to buy T-shirts?
- Yes, The T-shirts sold at this city aren't similar to the ones being sold at the city
where I live, therefore the T-shirts at this mall are both good-looking and novelty.

=====
- Salut !
- Salut ! Ça va ?
- Ça va. Qu'est-ce que tu raccontes ?
- Je suis chez mes parents pour les prochaines semaines. Le temps est très beau ici. Je
veux profiter de l'occasion pour étudier des langues, faire du sport et regarder des
films.
- T'as vu quel genre de films les derniers jours ?
- Plutôt des comédies. J'ai vu 'Comme un chef', c'était très drôle et intéressant
aussi, il m'a appris pas mal de mots sur la cuisine française.
- Ça a l'air intéressant.

The French one is recorded here.

Edited by Expugnator on 12 January 2014 at 3:48pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 40 of 415
12 January 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Nice conversations as always I see!
I can't see any error for your Mandarin one, but if I may I can tell you a few things
to make the French one more natural.

First "Raconter" has only one "c". That's the only "real" error and the rest is correct
after.
However, instead of "le temps est très beau ici", we would say "il fait très beau ici".
Both are correct but the second is more natural. When we talk about the weather, we'll
usually imply the word "temps" itself.
Instead of saying "les derniers jours", we'll say "ces derniers jours". Again it's
correct but we'll be thinking "les derniers jours de....". When you say "ces derniers
jours" it really insists on the detail of the very lasts days before the conversation.
Finally, you probably know this already, but instead of "il m'a appris pas mal...",
we'd say "ça/cela m'a appris pas mal.." as you are talking about the movie, which is a
thing and not a living thing.

Regarding your accent, it's really good! It did make me smile a bit when I realized
that you kinda have a Quebecois accent. Do you have friends from there or maybe lived
there?

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version