Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 41 of 415
13 January 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Not at all, and I never listened to any Quebécois. Might be the case that nasal vowels
are different in Portuguese and French and I have interference from Portuguese.

I keep forgetting the thing about cela, another francophone already reminded me about
that (it was actually saying "je le connais" instead of "je connais ça"). I think French
textbooks don't stress this enough and I go for 'il' as the only replacement for 'it'.

It was the first time I recorded myself at my target languages. I also posted at Team
Rare and Team Asgard logs. Thanks for all the help, remarks are always welcome and
appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 42 of 415
13 January 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Oneness City is back! Now with panglossos I'll
have a lot of fun when I start Estonian (in a few months I believe).

Today was a busy day. I went to the gym later and thus finished the activities later.
There are still Duolingo, Memrise and the Papiamento novel missing as I write. Memrise
app was the greatest find of 2014 so far, I'm looking forward to doing more repetition
than I'd envise with Anki. Audio IS important, for the record.

Speaking of the newest Georgian textbooks:

Basic Georgian seems ok apart from the drawbacks already mentioned (bad
formatting, simple fonts, English mistakes). Lessons are long and I usually read them
the day before and save only the exercises for the study time. I find them boring at
this time, but I have to keep myself disciplined and work on them. Posting them at
Unilang because there are people out there to correct. I know that by the more advanced
lessons it will start paying off as I will finally start to actively write sentences in
the perfect screeve (I skipped writing down the exercises at EGS and I basically only
tried to read the text in Georgian, instead of doing it by writing down 'second-wave
like' as I usually do with Assimil, that is, translating into the target language).

As for 'A Georgian Reader', the topics covered are unfortunately too focused on
Georgian pre-XX culture, like A Continuing Course, EGS, Aronson's A Reading
Grammar...No wonder that after 2 years I'm still eager about getting down to
contemporary literature. Well, thanks to the book Paloma, I'm getting vocabulary of a
more up-to-date lifestyle and less scholar stuff.

I'm wasting time with choosing which episode to read next at 喜羊羊. I searched for 喜羊
羊 within a channel, and Youtube scrabbles the search results list everytime I reload
it, which makes it hard to find what to read. At another channel, the episodes aren't
at alphabetical order and I have to manually look up for the next one within a page. I
decided to stuck to a playlist compiled by the engine itself for the first channel,
even if it means rewatching the earlier episodes. At least I have a sense of progress
and don't need to watch some scenes just to check if I've already watched it or not
(which is much harder to become aware of when you still don't understand the language
and when it's a cartoon, after all).

As for Travel in Chinese, I'm enjoying it more and more. Working on the transcripts
beforehand, focusing on the most important vocabulary as I can already have an idea of
the phrase itself. I'm also becoming able to get the sounds without resorting to the
pinyin transcription all the time. I first look at both characters and translation, and
later on I play the video. I realized that at this stage I can associate the new words
with the sounds I hear at the video, little need to check the pinyin previously in
depth. I'm also happy with the podcast lessons. Dialogues are short but focus on
essential items and these are well-explained at the lessons.

LL Russian is coming to an end this week. Still the dilemma of starting something
without audio (old TY Russian) and being in need of a supplement but having no time for
it. As for GWT, sadly it will last for a few days. Currently at Lesson 86, so I'm only
going to finish it next week. I'm going to have to speed up at the other courses,
otherwise I will spend the whole trimester reviewing too basic stuff. Maybe this is
doable since the other editions of Assimil are comparably lighter and easier.

I'm having little trouble with Himmelblå, despite the occasional strong dialectal
forms. As for the book Beatles, I'm doing extensive listening-reading sometimes, and it
worked out as a way for speeding up the task while keeping building my vocabulary. It
is a sort of narrow reading, if we ma say so (Yep just read that thread).

French. Reading extensively 'Le chant des sorcières, tome 1' (I didn't bring the newest
tablet down here and the first one doesn't have a built-in French dictionary and can't
be updated). I think I am slightly faster at it. As for films, I finished thre good
Comme un Chef, which I watched with English subtitles. Then I started 99 Francs today,
and it deals with such an important subject, that of planified obsolescence and the
society of mass consumption, that I thought I had more to take from it than just
colloquial French. Therefore, I got even the Portuguese subtitle for it, so I
extensively follow it (in spite of the gross earlier sentences, the subject is indeed
appealing to me). Well, I'm much luckier at French films than novels, also seem to be
learning more from the films.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 43 of 415
13 January 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
One topic I forgot to address: Norwegian x German interference.

I had been stuck at an A2 German for about 10 years when I started Norwegian in August
2012. From then on Norwegian had been gaining field, until this month, when I resumed
German. Now both languages are battling for which form will prevail. Everytime I have
to come up with a word for one of them, I may think of the other one as well as of the
English one. It is terrible when none of the forms are cognates. When there is an
English/Norwegian cognate and a German non-cognate, I can think of the German as the
'odd' one, when it's German/Norwegian then English is the odd one (easier, because
usually English has a Romance cognate while German and Norwegian kept Germanic. It can
happen, nonetheless, that English has a word on its own while Norwegian and German
borrowed from French and Latin, and these are the ones that amaze me the most, like
gratis and ferien).

Well then, today I saw myself almost saying "Ich trenge etw.", then it took me a while
to get down to Earth again and treat it as I need/Jeg trenger/Ich brauche. I'm afraid
the more I study German the less automatic my Norwegian I've been working so hard on
becomes, because I have to make this 3-step thing to check which is which.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 44 of 415
14 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm happy with Georgian now. It's no longer the language that gives me most headaches,
thanks to the new resources. A lot of words are starting to sink in and I'm making sense
out of the sentences. Same with Chinese - I hardly ever meet words in my textbooks and
resources I have no clue of. I'm just a little annoyed with Travel in Chinese's speed,
the buffering crashes all the time and it is slowing down my activities.

All the rest is ok, today was a pretty average day. I'm only afraid my schedule should
ideally last for just one shift, that is, either 4 hours in the morning or 4 in the
afternoon, so that I'd not worry about having time for going out and shopping.
2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4035 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 45 of 415
14 January 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Your Georgian studies are admirable! One of my far far off linguistic dreams would be able to watch silent Georgian films with their original inter-titles.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 46 of 415
14 January 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Well, maybe I can try, after all it's just about reading some inter-titles =D I'm far
from being able to watched spoken comfortably films though

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4640 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 47 of 415
14 January 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Wow, 1916 - quite fast!
P.S. Being relatively comfortable with Chinese - sounds impossible :D

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 48 of 415
14 January 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Awesome log, Expug!

Thanks for the tip on oneness city, I'm sure I'll use it one day (some of the languages are on my hit list). How did you find it? Or are you among the makers?

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version