Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 81 of 84
22 July 2014 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
I'm glad you found these exercises useful, Silbermond!

I was doing the first exercise yesterday and discovered that there's 1-2 words I've never said out loud before -- "Akribie" is one of them. It's somewhat of a challenge when I have to stop and consider, "uh, how do I pronounce that?". But then I realised it's not as scary as it looks..
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 82 of 84
14 September 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I think the Mandarin-train is finally back on track. I had a major de-railing in June and July.

I didn't study for all of July and well, I pretty much forgot everything. As I was reviewing, I looked over the senteces I was making at the beginning of summer and I found that I couldn't read a thing. So I've been reviewing as much as I can these past two weeks. I haven't been studying full-time, so the review is still on-going. I had a small shimmer of achievement after going over all of the A2 grammar points at Chinese Grammar Wiki (again), and I realized I could do it all. yea! I still made cards of the whole list -- 1 or 2 grammar sentences for each grammar point. I did that this morning *whew*

The next step is to keep writing and try to use all of the A2 grammar points -- I don't want to forget them.

I went back to level 1 of Chinese Breeze and read "Two Children Seeking the Joy Bridge". The listening did a lot to recover some lost ground. After writing huge amounts in German at Lang-8 in August, I finally switched over to Mandarin yesterday and I hope I can stay with Mandarin for the rest of the week.

I'm really excited to be at the cusp of "beginner", ready to jump over the threshold into ... well, "barely-intermediate" ;) Yes. It's slow-going but that's how it usually is.

They call the next level "B1" at Chinese Grammar Wiki and as wonderful as that sounds I can't say that I'm there yet, but if I keep writing I think I could be there in about a month.

I updated the second post of this log and that felt very encouraging.

Edited by Sunja on 14 September 2014 at 3:24pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 83 of 84
05 December 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
I've been reading and working out of another book "Ziel HSK 3". I have the workbook to this series from the Hefei Huang publisher in Germany and decided to give the book a try. I'm really enjoying it.

The book is geared towards learning the vocabulary for the HSK3. Each of the 30 chapters has about 15 new words. Each word has about 2-5 example sentences:

讲 jiang

讲了
讲故事
爷爷给孩子们讲故事

The sentences are translated into German. There's a small grammar section and then a story with the new vocabulary. The stories are read by different speakers.

There are audio tracks to suit every taste in learning. You can hear the vocabulary with or without the pause to repeat. There are two versions of the story, one with pause (for shadowing purposes) and the story read at a normal rate of speech. Actually the stories are probably slower than normal speech, but it's not nearly as bad as Chinese Breeze. The books that I have from CB are read very slowly, so slow that I lose out on the natural speech rhythm. I've learned it doesn't do me much good to shadow CB anymore. This new book I have is just right for me.

I'm only on story #11. I was hoping to be done by Christmas but I don't think that's likely to happen. That would've put me at a vocabulary level of roughly 600 words. That's not what my goal was for the year, but it doesn't matter. Given the obligations I have in my daily life, I'm pretty happy with my progress in Mandarin overall!

I've decided to take Assimil out of my log title since obviously anyone looking for insight into Assimil for Mandarin is not going to find it here in this log. I haven't written anything at all about Assimil, although I still use it on occasion. I just don't find the lessons very interesting -- it's as simple as that.

As for my goals, there is the HSK 3 being offered in Frankfurt March 28, but I'm not quite sure this book is enough to get me through the test. I have two practice books and I will try to get through those and see where I stand. As it stands now, it takes me way too long to get through each reading comprehension question. I'm averaging about 5 minutes per question!

That will of course change, but I have to make sure I get through this book and two others before I feel confident enough to try the test.

So the bottom line is, I'm still here and I'm still working.

edit: just a small update on my previous post. I quit writing at Lang-8. I spent more time correcting others and responding to comments than I did writing Mandarin so I had to stop :/ I'll go back when my skills have improved.

Edited by Sunja on 05 December 2014 at 9:14am

2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6229 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 84 of 84
26 August 2016 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sunja

It would be lovely to read an update about your language learning adventures. If anyone
can annihilate Mandarin, it's you.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version