Message 33 of 84
06 February 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
女:你爸爸非常喜欢运动,所以他的身体也很
男:他有很多时间做运动。我要每天去上班。
问:女的想要男的做什么?

A:做运动
B:每天上班
C:有很多时点

This is just an example of one of the exercises from section 3. They're considerably more difficult than the first sections. I'm really struggling with questions like these. Mostly because I don't have that much time to think! I'm only given the answers A.,B., or C. and I'm scrambling to read the answers and listen to the dialog at the same time. Thankfully I get a second hearing, but most of the time it's not enough. I'm averaging about 40% wrong on these sections. Reading should be better, but I'm having trouble interpreting some of the dialogs!

oh, what have I gotten myself into :D

edit: those silly black diamonds again.

Edited by Sunja on 06 February 2014 at 1:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 34 of 84
15 February 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I took a practice test earlier in the week and scored 40/60. I'd like to do a little better because I hate stressing out over exams -- I'd like to be prepared --- but I'm a bit exhausted for another test right now. My teenage daughter just got a paper delivery job (Prospektverteilung) and she's delivering for two very large areas in our city. Seeing has how she's only 13, she needs an assistant -- and that's me^^. I'm helping out Friday and Saturday evenings now.

I've also been job hunting, and last Saturday I spent WAY too much time drafting a cover letter and CV for a job that was already filled when I called on Monday. Easy come easy go. At least I'm prepared for the next opportunity.

I've been concentrating so hard on other things, that I'm literally in the process of regrouping as I write this *focus*. I need to complete two Lernhefte (study units) of my online course that I'm doing for German, and then I can work a bit more on my listening comprehension in preparation for the HSK2. I don't think reading will be a problem, but I still want to minimize my mistakes. I need all the points I can muster to help balance out the listening.

Listening is certainly better than it was one month ago and for that I feel relieved. If I center my efforts I can boost listening up one more notch - I have one month to do that!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 35 of 84
15 February 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure you'll do fine. The best thing you can do is just go in feeling confident :)

I hope the end of the month leaves you feeling a lot more comfortable as you go into your test. If you have questions about anything, feel free to ask. Here or in the team thread!

加油,你肯定会成功!

EDIT: To avoid the black boxes, try putting a space after every period or comma. For short sentences, that should work. I also don't know what the answer is to the question you posted. I don't see where the 女的 says anything about wanting the 男的 to do something. 男的 doesn't say anything about wanting his dad to do anything, either, just that he (not his dad) has to go to work every day.

Edited by Crush on 15 February 2014 at 10:45pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 36 of 84
16 February 2014 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Thank you Crush! And thanks for the tip about the black boxes! I have to stay on top of these little forum gliches^^

About the test, I have to admit that the actual mock-test was easier than the test preparation book. I'm so glad that I'm working through this book because without it, I wouldn't have a chance!

Section 4 is really tough -- beyond HSK2 actually, but I'll try to get through it. The reading section is important, but for listening practice, I'll switch to the MP3s from the mocktests. It's nice to hear the vocabulary spoken by different native speakers!

Edited by Sunja on 16 February 2014 at 9:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 37 of 84
26 February 2014 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I didn't miss very many on my last practice test, so I haven't been studying so intensely the last few weeks of Feb. I've just been basically going for a walk and listening to the MP3 files from the exam. I haven't been doing much reading at all.

I'm starting to think about the "post-exam" period. Where do I go from here? I'm not really soooo excited about going back to Assimil, especially since I've had a chance to compare Assimil learning material with that of HSK2. Assimil uses some unnecessary wording, but I figure it can't hurt -- and it can't be any worse than FSI. That brings up the next question: should I get Assimil book 2? I still need to have something else to study besides HSK. Assimil has a nice, fat price of 100 euros, no small change, but on the other hand, I'd probably be spending that much anyway on books, CDs and workbooks, if I were to seek out another program.

So I'll probably stick with Assimil. I'm a bit worried how the vocabularies are so different. I definitely don't want to spread myself too thin (been there before) and I'm reluctant to take on too much too fast. I'd like to keep from straying too far from my nice, cushy beginner spot.

I still need to do some work with these 360 words, I've by no means "mastered" them. I've started sentence mining the vocab from HSK2 and just writing down whatever I think I should know how to say. Don't know what I'm going to do with these sentences, yet. They'll probably just pile up and I'll never look at them (?). Nah, I'm sure I'll find some sort of system!

It will probably consist of this:

morning walk and listen to either 1. Assimil dialogs (lessons 35-40), or 2. Test questions and answers from the various HSK2 practice modules

start trying to produce simple sentences ONLY using material from HSK2

slowly start introducing new words (very slowly).

I'm doing my sentence mining this morning and I notice I've started to get carried away with sentences that are too complicated for me -- like this one

我在上班的时候,在家里是孩子们玩了。

not even sure if that's correct. I have to stick to sentences that I can actually say, otherwise I'll just keep piling on and I'll never activate anything.

Edited by Sunja on 26 February 2014 at 10:31am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 38 of 84
26 February 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Can you use French as a source language? If so, then you should try Méthode 90. It goes
way beyond Assimil in terms of vocabulary and grammar taught despite having 10 less
lessons.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 39 of 84
26 February 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator!

oo, I'd be too nervous to use French to learn Mandarin -- I think my head would explode. I read what I could of the reviews at Amazon.fr. Méthode 90 looks like a worthy contender, but I think I've already got my heart set on continuing with Assimil.

I found a used seller here in Germany and she's willing to sell me the 2nd Assmil set for 80. That's not too bad...

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3788 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 40 of 84
26 February 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:

I'm doing my sentence mining this morning and I notice I've started to get carried away with sentences that are too complicated for me -- like this one

我在上班的时候,在家里是孩子们玩了。

not even sure if that's correct. I have to stick to sentences that I can actually say, otherwise I'll just keep piling on and I'll never activate anything.

Native speakers will understand what you meant....but it needs to be tweaked like:

在我上班的时候,孩子们在家里玩。

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version