12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
kevingreece
United States
Joined 3816 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Studies: Greek

Message 1 of 12
21 December 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
When you speak a foreign language, do you all have your native language somewhat in the "background";
sometimes stronger than at other times? When I speak Greek, even when the Greek words come to my mind first,
there seems to be English words humming along in the background a split second after what I say, sometimes in
translation form, or in a random, somewhat incoherent form.
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4040 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 12
21 December 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Not really no. Sometimes when I enter heated discussion in English my English syntax might suffer and start emulating the order in which I would express the things in Finnish, which sometimes sounds goofy in English, but very often I don't even know what the thing I'm speaking of in English is called in Finnish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3784 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 3 of 12
21 December 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
No.

I imagine that the English background will cease when you advance further in your target language.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4077 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 4 of 12
21 December 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
No, if English is seeping into my mind during speaking another language, then that
probably means that I have severe struggles in the learnt language, most likely
deficiencies in two crucial aspects, viz. grammatical constructions, and vocabulary. It
probably means more practise of grammar, vocabulary, and almost everything else as well
is necessary.

Not in English, but years ago once in Barcelona, when my Spanish was much poorer than
at the current level now, I asked in a restaurant for two glasses of wine (not both for
me, but for my mother), and suddenly forgot the word for "glass", instead
substituting its French equivalent therein, <<Dos verres de vino blanco por favor...>>.
That was a clear indication that I needed to practise vocabulary, if these things
happen to me. Also it was quite embarassing, because I had to repeat twice, and he
still look puzzled until he finally said, <<O, bueno, dos copas entonces...>>. Because
hereof, I felt like a complete idiot for the entire dinner, so I think that if there
are signs, one must start practising immediately.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 21 December 2013 at 11:45pm

FadedStardust
Diglot
United States
Joined 5394 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 5 of 12
11 January 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
My problem is not my native English buzzing in the background, but Chinese or one of my other languages. My
brain would have me believe that Dutch and German are close enough that words from one can be substituted
in the other 100% of the time (not true of course), and if I fail to come up with something in either, Chinese is 9
times out of 10 the fall back before English ever even gets a shot at coming into my brain.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3886 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 6 of 12
11 January 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
When I was in my teens I always had English buzzing in the background (it's not my native language, but at the time it was my strongest), even before I went to an all-English upper secondary school. This actually affected my Swedish. I often used the wrong prepositions or created new, but completely understandable, Swedish words out of English words. My mother would correct me constantly. I'm probably making it sound worse than it was, though, since my mother had very high standards. My Swedish teacher adored me and I got 95-100% on tests, and excellent grades on any writing or speaking exercise. When my teacher told my mother about what a great student I was, at one time, my mother responded: "Really? I think that her Swedish is atrocious."

Somewhere along the line I learned to separate my Swedish from my English. In very informal situations I still draw the word I feel is the most expressive first, regardless of the language. In recent years French has started to seep in, in particular when it comes to food or house nouns. My husband and I both forget what things are called in Swedish or English and end up saying them in French because we're too impatient to wait the extra second and a half for the word to come to us (recent examples: navet, panier, phytoépuration, échelle). But that's kind of the opposite of having a language buzzing in the background. That's "in your face" language. :)

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5553 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 12
11 January 2014 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
When I was in my teens I always had English buzzing in the background (it's not my native language, but at the time it was my strongest), even before I went to an all-English upper secondary school. This actually affected my Swedish. I often used the wrong prepositions or created new, but completely understandable, Swedish words out of English words. My mother would correct me constantly. I'm probably making it sound worse than it was, though, since my mother had very high standards.

My mum just makes fun of me. Especially when I create new compound verbs in German. :'D

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5515 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 8 of 12
11 January 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
I didn't experience what you write about but for some reason when I struggle to speak French and I'm missing a word, it might happen that a German word will come out of my mouth. I took German in high school but I've forgotten most of it! I can consciously use an English equivalent but why German vocabulary pops up in my mind, I don't know.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version