Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4170 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 9 of 12
11 January 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes after having just spoken German , i experience some in inertia when switiching back to English
and German words fight to come out . That doesn 't seem to happen with my mother tongue Italian .

Edited by albysky on 11 January 2014 at 5:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 10 of 12
11 January 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Personally I considered Chinese as my mother-tongue. Over the years my Chinese skills have dropped because of
many years living abroad and using English. Recently I'm picking it up again. It is common to fill in technical terms
in English when talking Chinese because a lot of the new computer terms came from the West. Sometimes it would
be awkward to try to use a Chinese equivalent either translated by meaning or phonetics. Proper names of people
and places unless it is a common name like "South Pacific" if you go into a country name like "French Polynesia"
when translated as 法屬波利尼西亞 would sound a bit odd.

Normal conversation usually distinguish between 2 languages separate. The last time I was listening to a Chinese
news broadcast about Michael Schumacher the race car driver in the hospital from a recent ski accident. The news
anchor used the Chinese version of his name translated phonetically. Somehow listening to his name I was
thinking of a matching Chinese word with the same phonetics and wondering what the news anchor was talking
about? After listening to the rest of the story figured it was the translated version of a person's name...

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4151 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 11 of 12
12 January 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Not with English usually. I don't doubt that my English causes interference in other languages, but it's very unconscious. When I use one of my other languages, if I'm stuck for a word, about 90 percent of the time the equivalent I will think of will be German instead of English, and even word order will be more German-based.

NivealSedulo
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3767 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish
Studies: Norwegian

Message 12 of 12
13 January 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I used to believe that people always think in their native languages, but now I have been
reading so much English that I started renaming the layers of a drawing in English.
Sometimes I realize that I was about to say or writing something in English because it
sounds better. I found this funny. But I can not get rid of my Portuguese influence in
English yet.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version