United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 113 of 151
05 April 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
I will kick off the April Challenge with my own entry:

Having started the year with the good intentions of trying to successfully juggle three languages, get awesome at French and set a good example as curator of Team Spaß, naturally things haven't turned out as planned.

January was very French with a bit of German, February was very Japanese with a bit of French, and March has been a little more low key as holidays and work commitments have taken up more time and brain space. As far as German goes, apart from a bit of textbook and Anki work in January, I have just been keeping in touch with the language by listening to music, which is better than nothing, but I can't say any more than that.

As far as the next quarter is concerned, despite the fact that I already know that juggling three languages doesn't really work for me, I've decided to complicate things further by learning some Spanish, since I will be taking a trip to Spain in the summer and I think it will be a bit more fun if I at least know some of the basics when I get there. I don't plan to spend a lot of time on it (as a beginner, I find 30-60 minutes a day the ideal pace anyway) and I would be satisfied to reach a functional tourist level and leave it at that.
1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4654 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 114 of 151
05 April 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Ich hab nichts besonderes gemacht, darum hab ich auch fast nichts geloggt. Ich bin auch
beschäftigt; drei wichtige Deadlines, die sich nähern, und ich hab noch keine Ahnung um
ich das alles schafft.

Ich hatte vorgestern ein "Reading/Writing Assessment" in Deutsch (B2), die ich einfach
bescheuert fand. Zwar war die Lesenübung nicht schlecht, aber in die Writing-Teil
musste wir etwas ins Englische übersetzen. Das bedeutet dass mein Writing-Note nichts
mit meine schriftlige Fähigkeiten zu tun hat. Die Grund dafür war dass sie eine
Übersetzungsprüfung durchsetzen möchtet, aber meine Meinung nach sollte es die
schriftliche Prüfung nicht ersetzen.

Naja, ich hoffe dass ich am ende Aprils mehr Zeit für HTLAL und Sprachlernen hab...
(was Japanisch angeht... ähm... fragt bitte nicht...)

Edited by stifa on 05 April 2014 at 5:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4150 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 115 of 151
05 April 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Seit Februar habe ich leider nichts besonders gemacht. Zwischen die Arbeit und dass ich eine neue Katze bekommen habe, bin ich immer beschäftigt und habe fast keine Zeit, Sprachen zu lernen (ja, lebe ich jetzt mit SECHS Katzen). Die nächste zwei Wochen muss ich mich auf einem Prozess vorbereiten, so werde ich noch wenige Zeit haben. Ich meine dass es mir schwierig ist, motiviert zu sein, denn normalerweise habe ich keine Gelegenheit, die Sprache zu benutzen.

Nach meinem Prozess hoffe ich bei HTLAL häufiger zu verbringen. Heute habe ich ein bisschen in meinem Buch "Die Verbotene Frau" gelesen. Es war mir sehr überraschend, dass es nicht zu schwierig war.
3 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4403 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 116 of 151
06 April 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Im März habe ich keine deutsche Grammatik gelernt. Stattdessen habe ich Vokabeln gelernt, die aus Bücher
entstammten, die ich gelesen oder gehört habe. Ich hörte ein Hörbuch, Reiches Erbe von Donna Leon, eine Krimi,
die in Venedig stattfand. Am Ende März habe ich mit einem anderen Hörbuch angefangen, Von allem Anfang an,
von Christoph Hein. Das Buch ist eine Volljährigkeit-Autobiographie, in den 50er-Jahren DDR eingestellt. Es
wurde von Ulrich Mühe (Das Leben der Anderen) gelesen.

Die Bücher, die ich gelesen habe, waren Die Mitter der Welt von Andreas Steinhöfel und Johannisnacht von Uwe
Timm.   Das erste ist ein Jugendroman und es geht um Eifersucht, Freundschaft und Liebe. Das zweite geht um
einen Journalist, der eine Reportage um Kartoffel verfassen soll. Er fliegt nach "nachwende" Berlin und landet
von einer verrückten Situation in die nächste. Ich fand das zweite besser als das erste, aber beide haben mir
gefallen.

Ich habe vor, mich mehr auf Russisch als auf Deutsch in den kommenden Monaten zu konzentrieren, aber werde
auch wohl mit dem aktuellen Hörbuch weitermachen und bald beginnen, das Lesen und Hören des Romanes,
Homo Faber, von Max Frisch, der Schweizer Schriftsteller. Und ich habe immer Skype-Gespräche zweimal pro
Woche.

English version:
In March, I did not study any German grammar. Instead I learned some vocabulary words from the books I read or
listened to. I listened to an audiobook called Drawing Conclusions by Donna Leon, a mystery set in Venice. At
the end of March, I started another audiobook, (not sure how to translate the title: From the beginning of it all?"
by Christoph Hein. It is a coming of age autobiographical novel set in 1950s DDR. It is read by the actor Ulrich
Mühe (The Lives of Others).

The books I read were The Center of the World by Andreas Steinhöfel and Midsummer Night by Uwe Timm.    The
first is a young adult novel about jealousy, friendship and love. The second is about a journalist who is supposed
to write an article about potatoes, so goes to post-Reunification Berlin, where he goes from one crazy situation
to the next. I liked the second book better than the first, but enjoyed both.

I plan to focus more on Russian than on German in the coming months, but will probably continue the current
audiobook and will soon begin reading and listening to the novel Homo Faber, by the Swiss writer Max Frisch.
And I regularly have skype conversations twice per week.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 117 of 151
06 April 2014 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I'm still in. Most of my studying time is spent on Korean but you could also say that I study German every day when I'm at work. I make it a point to read all the e-mails that are in German even when they're directed at a colleague of mine, not at me (they all come into the service desk mailbox so I have access to them). I also write something in German at least once a day so I get active practice as well. I'm still not comfortable writing longer texts like this one though.

My plan for German remains the same - finish my grammar book and the DW course and dive into reading. The reading is going slowly at the moment because I'm not really committed to it. Work and other real life matters and Korean take up most of my time. But my goal is still to take the C1 exam next winter so I figure I should read (at least half-intensively) at least 10 books before it. My workplace is supposed to offer German classes sometime this year but I don't know when that will be yet. But that would be a good time to focus all my energy on German.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 118 of 151
08 April 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm in.
Just did some Dialang estimates and my vocab score is 275/1000. That's the third level out of six, not sure if it's supposed to correspond to B1 or not. The range is 201-400. I don't remember if it's the first time I've had this score, but I do remember scoring even 0, due to marking too many fake words as real. Also, the grammar test sayd I'm B1 too.

I'm hoping to graduate from uni soon, for this I need to finish my diploma paper asap, and pass some exams in May, including German. It will consist of a text analysis (most likely something from Die Drei Kameraden that we've been reading) and some speaking, mostly a monologue but with some extra questions etc if needed. I don't think the preparation will be particularly useful for my overall German skills, but oh well.

Other than this, I'm also preparing for the Super Challenge. With German it's more about finding materials, hehe. I bought these recently: 1, 2, 3, and I'm also going to get Ludwig Thoma. Lausbubengeschichten, as an e-book adapted according to Ilya Frank's method. I'm also going to read Christiane F early in the challenge. I read a bit over 50 pages last summer.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4649 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 119 of 151
08 April 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Still alive!

January and February was mostly reviewing my vocabulary, hadn't done that for a year.
In March I started to learn German grammar and made some more contacts via Skype for practicing speaking
German.

Now I will concentrate to be better in speaking German and continue with German grammar.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 120 of 151
09 April 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
I am out. I am still learning German, but I don't really have any time to participate in the challenges. So I'll keep plugging away at my German on the sidelines. I am impressed by how active everyone is.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version