Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 145 of 151
24 December 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
2014 is nearly over. How many of you have annihilated German this year? Or at least, how many of you have kept going until the end of the year, even if nothing has been annihilated, yet?

I have wasted far too much text on an end of year summary in my log - but the important thing is that my German has reached a level where things are starting to get interesting. Books and TV are now within reach!
2 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 146 of 151
24 December 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I've got it pinned against the ropes, but unfortunately not quite annihilated: managed to pass 3 out of 4 sections of the German C2 exam. I had absolutely no intention of taking a language exam ever, but then somehow found myself signing up and taking the dad-blasted thing. The Super Challenge helped: so far this year I've read 95 books and seen 82 films in German, plus a lot of other stuff I didn't track.

2015 promises to be challenging for me, so I'm not participating in any of the TAC teams, but will instead do my own thing this time around. It's been really interesting reading everyone's logs and different approaches to learning German. The tips about good stuff to read and watch have been great.

Cheers and Best Wishes to All.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 147 of 151
24 December 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I had a few breaks during the year but I always came back (several times). At last, I
started to intensively work on my German in the November 6wc and I keep going. I am not
awesome, I am still far from my B1 goal, but I am still going and on the good way. :-)

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4655 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 148 of 151
24 December 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
My passive skills haven't improved that much this year, mostly since I never really
challenge myself. Lately, my German teacher suggested we read "Herbstmilch" by Anna
Wimschneider, which has to be the most difficult book I've ever read, thanks to its
rather oral style, and the use of old fashioned and/or Bavarian terms.

I'm still around, in other words ;)

Next year might be interesting though - If I can't find any Master's degree course in
Norway that accepts my british BEng, I might end up going to Germany instead, because I
sorta speak German, and the likelihood of someone accepting my BEng might be higher...

Edited by stifa on 24 December 2014 at 1:40am

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 149 of 151
24 December 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
The seductive allure of YouTube videos annihilated my ambitious German reading challenge. That's really not so tragic, though, because I'm mainly interested in speaking and I had many excellent opportunities to converse this year. Except for a lapse in July and August, I managed to write German stuff in my log pretty regularly all year, and I think writing's the next best thing to speaking.

I really do need to read all these heavy-duty German books I've got. Maybe 2015 will be the year I really hunker down to brass tacks and push the envelope.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 150 of 151
25 December 2014 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
My year-end summary is here.

It was not a year to annihilate anything, but at least I kept on reading stuff.

Now that my Italian classes are coming to an end, maybe there will be room for my German C1 project. We'll see. In any case, I won't be joining a TAC team for German in 2015.

Ich wünsche Ihnen frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr 2015!
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 151 of 151
10 January 2015 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Not a productive year for me. Last time I tried to do something was for the January challenge or something like that. However, I somehow managed to retain some German inside my head so I thought I'd mention it here...

mrwarper wrote:
Actually I successfully followed the instructions in this German forum thread to root my phone. No mistakes, no prior experience rooting phones (years of experience in general and advanced IT stuff though). No dictionary trips either. Only resource in the internet explaining what I needed to do by mid-summer, so a little bit of pressure from that front.

and I didn't think I could have pulled off something like that, so I don't feel too bad about the outcome.

Edited by mrwarper on 10 January 2015 at 11:29am

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version