Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 1 of 21
23 December 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I am very excited about beginning a new year - and my third TAC! Even though I am not on any official team,
I will try to keep an eye on everyone's logs, and I hope that some of you will stop by to say hello.

The easiest way to explain my language plans for 2014 is to divide the year into thirds. Focus languages are
in capitals. Italicized languages are ones that I hope to get to, but may not/probably won't.

PART 1: January - April
LATIN
ANCIENT GREEK
SPANISH
Italian
Polish

PART 2: May - August
ITALIAN
HAITIAN CREOLE
POLISH
Latin
Ancient Greek
Spanish
German
French

PART 3: September - December
LATIN
ANCIENT GREEK
SPANISH
ITALIAN
Polish
German
French

EXPLANATORY NOTES
1) I will be living in Rome for several months at the beginning of 2015, hence the focus on Italian. I plan to
travel quite a bit, so it would be ideal to know the basics of German and French, as well.
2) The Haitian Creole is dependent upon whether or not I end up going to Haiti for a mission trip this summer.
If I do go, I will cram as much of this language in as possible.
3) Latin, Greek, and Spanish are essential parts of my college career; this is why they feature so prominently
in my study plan.

Edited by Amerykanka on 23 December 2013 at 10:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 2 of 21
23 December 2013 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
placeholder post

(because maybe I will actually get around to posting materials this year)
1 person has voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4156 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 3 of 21
23 December 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to reading your log this year! What are you studying in college?

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 4 of 21
25 December 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm studying classics. It's been great so far! Ancient languages are much more interesting in the classroom
than modern ones, so my Latin and Greek classes are usually a lot of fun. :) I'm also minoring in Spanish,
because thanks to AP credit I only need to take 2 more advanced classes in order to fulfill the requirements.

Merry Christmas, everyone, by the way!!! :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 25 December 2013 at 10:15pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 5 of 21
01 January 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Well, the New Year has begun. Time to get down to studying! I've been lounging around enjoying my
Christmas break up til now, so the only language-related thing that I have accomplished over the last week is
to listen to the first eight chapters of En llamas and to about an hour of Spanish radio. I am trying to
refresh my Spanish listening skills; they have been growing just a wee bit rusty since September. It is nothing
a few dozen hours won't fix. En llamas and Sinsajo in conjunction with my favorite radio stations and
podcasts should do the trick. :)

I really must get going on my Polish listening comprehension, as well. I won't have much time for hardcore
studying until this summer, but I can definitely enjoy some audiobooks and radio while I exercise.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 6 of 21
02 January 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I hereby declare that a state of war has existed between myself and the Federation of Flashcards since that
day on which the forces of the said Federation, taking advantage of my momentary preoccupation with other
matters, executed a secret attack and won my chief fortress, the Castle of Anki. I insist upon the immediate
removal of the 6,000 troops, which hail from the three principal states of the aforementioned Federation
(these being the Spanish, Latin, and Polish states). I also wish to caution the Greek Republic, a suspiciously
close ally of the Federation, against invading the Paper Palace. Beware - my wrath is terrible and my revenge
shall be swift. *trumpets sound at the conclusion of the solemn declaration*

And now I have successfully wasted ten minutes that I could have spent on my terrifying Anki decks or
my ever-growing stack of Greek paper flashcards. But this was much more fun and can serve as an
update.

But now . . .

FORWARD, MARCH!!!

Edited by Amerykanka on 02 January 2014 at 6:52pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4958 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 7 of 21
02 January 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
My generals have just sent me an alarming report. Shortly after my forces laid siege to the Castle of Anki and
killed 700 of the best Spanish warriors, over 1,500 fresh troops rushed forward to enter the fight. It seems
that the Federation of Flashcards was even craftier than I had supposed and had hidden Latin and Polish
forces in the forest surrounding the Castle of Anki. Now my men must fight with almost 8,000 enemy troops.
Not only this, but my scouts have notified me that a contingent of several hundred Italian horsemen has just
entered my lands. The Italian state, while belonging to the Federation, had originally adhered to its usual
policy of non-belligerence. Now, unfortunately, it has decided to unite its forces with its fellow Federation
members.

Circumstances are very bleak. If I do not win a decisive victory and drive out the invaders before I must return
to the university in a fortnight, I am ruined.

Haha, now I'm going to go do something sensible.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 21
02 January 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Ahh....but what's that rumbling sound? You hear it? There! It's getting louder...
Whoa! It's a squdaron of B52's.
Heading directly for Amerykanka, no, no, they're going for Anki. It's doomed!

(Sorry, got carried away as usual! But having been severely Anki-ied on numerous occasions, I can't help cheering on the fightback).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version