Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 129 of 223
02 April 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Any suggestions from your cultural presentations' experience?

No, not really. Not to this team, at least. Not in this forum. I don't mean to be dramatic, but from the moment when someone starts posting here, they're saying "I'm opening up to a new culture". In many cases, everyone else on their street is a monoglot, whereas we welcome diversity. Whatever format you choose, you'll be ok.

Coming from a small European country with a lot of History, you probably don't realise to what extent this forum is different from the World at large. Your people has lived in the centre of the World for millennia. Mine has helped make it a small place. Cultural interaction is a second nature to us both.

Expugnator wrote:
I agree with the challenge on presenting a unique feature. Funny how, after 2 years studying Georgian, the grammar features themselves don't seem so 'unique' or 'exotic'.
I'll really have to thing out of the box for doing that ;)

You don't need to go far. I remember you writing something about abstract concepts having similar endings in Georgian. You may want to choose something along those lines. We're not a tough crowd.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4133 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 130 of 223
10 April 2014 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
Been sitting on this idea a few days: would it be okay if, besides presenting my language's traits at large, I write a bit about neologisms in Nahuatl for this month's challenge? While I was looking for resources, I stumbled upon a course that included more modern words, IT related and whatnot, and since Nahuatl is an agglutinative language, the way in which these words are constructed is pretty fun (not to mention educational for a newbie like me).

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4157 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 131 of 223
10 April 2014 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
I would love to hear abnout that :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 132 of 223
10 April 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
So, what has been decided upon the challenge? Presenting a unique feature of your target
language?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5860 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 133 of 223
10 April 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
So, what has been decided upon the challenge? Presenting a unique feature of your target language?

The reply to your question is "yes". Whatever you find interesting.

I say we use the cultural presentation as a "free card". That is, whenever someone can't do the "regular" challenge, then use it as a backup. As for its contents, let's try to be original and lightweight. I mean, if it were for the standard version, we could all type "Sanskrit language" on Wikipedia, couldn't we?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 134 of 223
10 April 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
April Challenge - Georgian

აბრუპტივია თანხმოვანი არის ხშული თანხმოვანები, რომლის წარმოთქმა ერთდროულად უხმო და ხორხის
სიმი. თანამედროვე ქართულ ენაზე არსებობს 5 (ხუთი) აბრუპტივი - წ, ტ, ყ, პ და კ .მატ შორის,
მხოლოდ მარტო „ყ„ არ მაქვს ასპირატი წყვილი (ეს კი არსებობდა ძველი ქართულზე).

Ejective consonants are oclusives whose pronunciation is simultaneously voiceless and
with a glottal stop. In contemporary Georgian there are 5 ejective consonants: წ (ts'),
ტ(t'), ყ(q'), პ(p') და კ (k'). Among these, only q' does not have an aspirated pair (it
did exist in Old Georgial).

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4157 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 135 of 223
11 April 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Such a beautiful script...

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4157 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 136 of 223
15 April 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Challenge

I don't know how unique is gender formation in Hebrew, but this is what I will present to you.

Gender is grammatical and it has nothing to do with actual gender (when it comes to objects of course). There is only male/female.

Female words have particular endings that male words don't have, but there are exceptions.

When there are male and female words in the same sentence, the combination is treated as male. (When it comes to the agreement of nouns, adjectives, verbs etc.)

When it comes to plural, generally words keep their gender, but there are exceptions (there are exceptions everywhere...)

What is interesting about gender, is that present tense verbs distinguish masculine from feminine as well as singular from plural. Which makes even simply asking "how are you" tricky, because it is different if you address a man or a woman. And depending what you are, the answer is slightly different. It is very important to pay attention to this, as you can't learn only the male version of verbs (clearly!).

I still haven't really learned all that, but I am familiarizing myself with the theory.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version