Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 1 of 223
24 December 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the TAC 2014 Rare Languages Team Thread.

About TAC
TAC stands for Total Annihilation Challenge and started in 2007. This is the original thread.

To keep things simple, there are just two main rules:
1. To have a language learning log and update it regularly
2. To follow your teammates' logs and give support

About the Rare Languages Team
By definition, everyone that studies a language that's not contemplated in other threads can join this team.

I ask each one of you to make a post in this thread, indicating the languages you'll be participating with (present and target level also, or your best estimation) and a link to your log. I will add the member name, language(s) and log link to the roster.

Please note that, due to the characteristics of this team, there's little more linking the members than the desire to study an uncommon language. That's very cool, but a bit hard to manage.

As a consequence, as a group leader I must be strict at the beginning. This means that:
- anyone joining the group and not indicating a log link will not be added to the roster
- anyone not updating the log for more than 60 days will be eliminated from the roster
- anyone not visiting the forum at all for more than 45 days will be eliminated from the roster

If this seems drastic, I'd like to remember all of you that TAC stands for Total Annihilation Challenge, and not for "I'll dabble in languages for two months then try something else and will come back in January 2015 to see if I've won the blue ribbon challenge".

Please remember that your teammates will be checking your logs regularly to see whether you've posted something new. It's rather disconcerting to check a teammate's log in September and realise he/she hasn't posted anything since February. I won't let that happen.

As team leader, I pledge to keep the first two posts updated with everything pertaining to the team's activity: members, logs, godparents, links, resources, etc.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel there's something I missed.

I'll start by presenting myself: this is my third TAC and I'll be participating in this team with Arabic (B1 => B2) and Sanskrit (A0=> A2).

I will not be participating in activities that involve external tools or pieces of software, but will try my best to have them reflected in the second post, if that's the members' wish.

N.B.: I'll remove some of the rules above as the year progresses and they become redundant.

That's all. This team is in business. Join in, support your teammates and have fun learning rare languages.

Edited by Luso on 22 January 2014 at 8:40pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 2 of 223
24 December 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Team Member List (link to the log by clicking on the name)

Expugnator - Georgian (B1- => B1+) - Year end summary
Lakeseayesno - Nahuatl (A0 => A2) - Year end summary
Luso - Arabic (B1 => B2), Sanskrit (A0 => A2) - Year end summary
Sprachprofi - Indonesian (A2 => B2) - Year end summary
Zireael - Arabic (A1- => A1+) - Year end summary

List by language

Arabic - Luso, Zireael

Georgian- Expugnator

Indonesian - Sprachprofi

Nahuatl - Lakeseayesno

Sanskrit - Luso

Observers
Stelle

Resources, links, tools

Arabic
Free Arabic E-books
Egyptian Arabic Dialect Course
The Arabic Student
Basic Egyptian Videos
Egyptian Arabic on YouTube
ArabicPod101
FSI Arabic: Free courses in MSA, Saudi and Levantine with audio. Also comparative textbooks between Eastern/Western and Levantine/Egyptian.
Benny's steps to become fluent in Arabic in 3 Months
The University of Texas at Austin - Arabic
The University of Texas at Austin - Aswaat Arabiyya

Georgian
Geo*words
IPTV.GE - TV portal
artarea.tv
digplanet - Georgian grammar
The Georgian language
learn101.org - Georgian
E LEARNING GEO
Civil press
Colis Dakalebi YouTube channel
Onion alphabet

Hebrew
The University of Texas at Austin - Hebrew
The University of Texas at Austin - Yours Truly בינינו

Hindi
Hindi comics

Indonesian
Khabar Southeast Asia
hugemanga.com
http://www.indokarlmay.com/v6/?page_id=233 - Karl May books as PDF in Indonesian

Nahuatl
Diccionario AULEX Nahuatl-Espanol
http://whp.uoregon.edu/dictionaries/nahuatl/
Freelang Nahuatl Dictionary
Mexica Ohui (course in Spanish)
Nahuatl Moderno Resumido (by Mizton) (.doc, course in Spanish)
Unilang Course (by Mizton) (course in English, w/audio!)
In nahuatiltin inahua (Nahuatl's laws) (.pdf, course in Spanish, ridiculously good grammatical and cultural guide)
Nahuatl Audiovisual (course in Spanish, contains miscellaneous videos and lessons)
Nahuatl dictionary for iOS

Generic
http://gloss.dliflc.edu/ - G.L.O.S.S. audiovisual materials
http://www.bliubliu.com - read graded texts and improve your vocabulary
http://tedxtalks.ted.com/browse/talks-by-languageTEDx talks in various languages, some with subtitles
http://www.childrenslibrary.org/ - children's books in many languages including very rare ones (use Advanced Search by language)

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2015 at 6:49pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 3 of 223
24 December 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Challenges

January: introduce yourself in your target language ==> Expugnator, Hekje, MithradatesG, Sprachprofi, Luso, Zireael, prz_

February: describe your hobby ==> Expugnator, Zireael, Hekje, Luso, Sprachprofi, renaissancemedi (Penelope)

March: share three sayings and proverbs from (and in) your target language ==> Expugnator, Luso, renaissancemedi (Penelope), Sprachprofi, Hekje

April: present a feature of your target language or make a cultural presentation ==> Expugnator - feature, renaissancemedi (Penelope) - feature, Luso - feature (Arabic and Sanskrit), renaissancemedi (Penelope) - cultural presentation, Hekje - feature, Lakeseayesno - feature, Zireael - feature

May: present another feature of your target language or make a cultural presentation ==> Luso - cultural presentation (Arabic), Expugnator - cultural presentation, Penelope - feature, Lakeseayesno - feature, Luso - appetizer (Sanskrit), Zireael - feature, Sprachprofi - feature

June: translate a song or make a cultural presentation ==> Luso - Sanskrit, Lakeseayesno, Expugnator, Sprachprofi

July: pick a news item in your target language and make its summary (or make a cultural presentation) ==> Expugnator, Sprachprofi

August: vacation time!

September: make a presentation on your target language and post it online (or make a cultural presentation) ==> Luso - cultural presentation (Sanskrit), Sprachprofi - "How to learn languages" in Indonesian, Sprachprofi - "Distinguishing languages and dialects" in Mandarin, Lakeseayesno - "Tlein nicpactia in nahuatlahtolli"

Edited by Luso on 31 December 2014 at 2:05am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 223
24 December 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Please sign me in with Georgian.

This is my log

Expug's All at
On(c)e

Current level - B1- . Desired level: B1+ with basic reading fluency.

Edited by Expugnator on 24 December 2013 at 1:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4462 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 5 of 223
24 December 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to sign up with Indonesian.

Log

Currently I'm at A0. I'm aiming for B2.

Although my current level is kind of wimpy, I haven't just started with the language -
I've been dabbling in it on and off since June. Hopefully this TAC will be a good
opportunity to take it from dabbling to solidity.

Edited by Hekje on 24 December 2013 at 5:44pm

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 6 of 223
25 December 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Signing up with Arabic.

The log

Current level A0/A1 (being able to say a few things), goal - being able to converse with natives about everyday topics = solid A1

Edited by Zireael on 25 December 2013 at 11:58am

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 7 of 223
27 December 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I guess we could start choosing our team name, as other teams have been doing. For me, we could keep Team Rare, as it's short and already identifies us, but in case you don't agree, here are some (probably poor) suggestions:

- Team Pangaea: the idea of (re)uniting all the continents, etc.

- Team Diamond: diamonds are, by definition, rare, transparent (as we want our languages to be one day), simple, and created under pressure.

I really don't know. What do you say?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 223
27 December 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
I like Team Rare or anything similar. Any other names would have to be too universal and
therefore too pretentious.

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version