Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 217 of 223
27 December 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
The Rare Languages Team Thread for 2015 is now active here. Feel free to join.

I'd like to remind you to think about posting your year-end conclusions, if you haven't done so already (I know that Sprachprofi will do a detailed summary in early January).

The summary is not mandatory, but can be quite useful: weighing achievements is the best way of setting good objectives for the following year.

I plan on doing the usual quarterly report during the first week of January.

Until then, I wish you a good entry in 2015.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4411 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 218 of 223
30 December 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Finally sat down to make an end of year summary. It's not impressive because:
1) I'm limited to self-study with very little materials
2) I have little time due to approaching MA thesis submission deadlines/graduation

Link (scroll down)
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 219 of 223
30 December 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Finally sat down to make an end of year summary. It's not impressive because:
1) I'm limited to self-study with very little materials
2) I have little time due to approaching MA thesis submission deadlines/graduation

Link (scroll down)

I'd seen it and added to the first page, with the link to the appropriate post.

As I said in the thread for 2015, I want to help you get going. PM me when you feel like doing it.

In the mean time, take a look at the list of resources for 2015. There's a lot of free stuff out there.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4094 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 220 of 223
31 December 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Here's the video presentation for the team's last challenge. It's nothing amazing, but between the end of year rush and other personal matters, writing, speaking and producing all 90 seconds of it wasn't as quick as I thought it would be.

Also, I finally sat my butt down and wrote a summary as well. Thanks for reminding me, Luso. :D

Sadly, I don't think I'll be re-joining Team Rare for TAC 2015. It's been an awesome experience and truth be told, this team's leadership and great members were instrumental in keeping me working at it (haven't had such a good team since I signed up to HTLAL). However, because of the conclusions you can read in my log, I don't think I want to keep learning Nahuatl, at least for now. Besides, life's strange circumstances are pulling me towards French, and something tells me I want to devote even more time and attention to it than to other languages.

If nobody has a problem with it, though, I think I'll remain a glorified lurker of the team.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 221 of 223
01 January 2015 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
FOURTH QUARTER REPORT

1. Purpose and scope of this summary

This is a follow-up of the third quarter report. The structure will be more or less the same.

2. Team structure

There was a moment when we managed to reach ten members. We ended the year with five, all accounted for. We lost two more members: one was a cherished contributor of both the team and the forum, and she left both in the beginning of June. A couple of PMs from me are still unread. Given the suddenness with which it happened, I can only hope that everything is all right with her. The other had made contributions but apparently decided to postpone her learning.

3. Team progress and cohesion

There were a few moments when I thought we were going to end the year with just a symbolic number of team members. This feeling was deepened when I found out that the second person that had stopped posting concerning her Rare language hadn't in fact made a relevant entry since many months ago. To each his/her own, but that's not enough to stay on the team. You're always welcome to come back, though.

On a more positive note, we've had a number of significant contributions in the end of the year, including three videos! Another impressive indicator is the fact that we're going to have five year-end summaries from team members. Five out of five!

4. Year 2015 forecast

It seems I'm going to be the interpreter of the team's wishes for another year. At this moment, we already have 15 members, studying an equal number of languages. If we count the repetitions (i.e. people that have signed up for more than one language), that amounts to 22 instances of Rare languages being studied, and people are still joining. Given the normal volatility of such endeavours, I'm going to try to be especially present during the first months of this year.

5. Final notes

This post concludes the reporting summaries I had set out to do for 2014. I know they have been useful to some people, and I'm glad. It also demonstrates that, when it comes to activities like language learning, showing up when you're supposed to is half the battle.

Of course, all of this wouldn't have been possible without teammates' contributions. If you had all decided to pursue other endeavours, there would have been nothing to report and, therefore, to keep us all motivated.

Going back to more practical considerations, I'm going to wait for Sprachprofi's summary and, after an appropriate period of time (for comments, etc.) I was thinking of getting this thread locked. Not straight away, of course. We can wait a month or two. However, since I'm being organised, I might take it all the way. In any case, there's always the thread for 2015 to keep the saga going.

I wish a Happy New Year to everyone.

Edited by Luso on 01 January 2015 at 12:20pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 222 of 223
03 January 2015 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
My summary of 2014 is now available at

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37745&TPN=6

Thank you all! See you in the 2015 thread!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 03 January 2015 at 7:12pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 223 of 223
03 January 2015 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Thank you all! See you in the 2015 thread!

Thank you, Sprachprofi! You certainly helped keep this team alive and interesting.

Congratulations on your impressive achievements! It will be great to have you as a teammate again in 2015.

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2015 at 7:41pm

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version