Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 89 of 118
06 August 2014 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I just thought I'd make a start on my ~400 reviews @ RTK.

One of the first to come up was "mistake". So I drew my attempt and it looked nothing like the
solution supplied. I was sure I was right so I went off to tangorin,
asked it to look up あやまって and clicked on the first kanji.

The kanji itself matched that shown by RTK, but that's because it's just the system font. The
stroke order diagram showed the kanji as I had drawn it. (I'm running Linux Mint Qiana but
I've just checked Windows 7 and it matches exactly what I see).

I checked Kanji In Context (my edition is (c) 2013) and #949 is the kanji in question, and in
the book is drawn the way I remember it. The "other" way isn't any harder (the right hand part
is probably easier, "mouth" over "heaven"), just different. In fact, if you look at ごらく in
tangorin.com and click on the first kanji, the right hand part matches the way I remember
writing the right hand part of the kanji for "mistake".

I had thought that perhaps the system fonts for Linux Mint and Windows 7 had caught up with
the latest government kanji revision, but KIC was published in 2013 and is using the kanji as
I remember it.

A bit more searching and I find this
PDF, so at least my system fonts are not involved. The unicode for the character in question
is 0x8AAF. In the row for that value, the kanji that I see in my browser is the first one
listed under Chinese, the one I remember (and which KIC uses) is listed under Japanese. This
PDF is dated (c) 2014, so I expect that it is current.

So I'm not sure what is going on here. KIC's usage matches my memory. That would suggest that
both Linux Mint and Windows 7 are using a Chinese character.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for all of this? (I don't think this is the only
recent font change ... it's just the first one that I've pinned down as not being due to my
faulty wetware ...).

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5768 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 90 of 118
06 August 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
As you see already, it's because Chinese and Japanese (and Korean etc) share unicode
characters. Look up "han unification" for more info.

When it comes to running Anki on Linux there should be an easy fix. Just make sure the font
you use to display the kanji in your deck is a Japanese font (e.g. a mincho font).

The only way I can get characters to display correctly (without rooting it) on my Android
phone is to change the whole thing to Japanese language, for the same reason.

On my PC, I had to change Chrome to Japanese mode to get correct display too, but now I tend
to use Firefox which handles Japanese a lot better...

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 91 of 118
06 August 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Ah. It's browser dependent. That's surprising. Some quick testing on W7 and LM17 confirms
that this does indeed seem to be the case.

Actually, at least on Linux Mint 17, everything is wrong except Firefox (which somehow
sorts it all out properly). (Whereas on W7 everything is right except for Chrome).

A bit of googling suggests that LM16 got it right but LM17 is just (seemingly) broken.

I guess that as long as I use Firefox for RTK I should be OK. I'll have to look into Anki
too I suppose.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 92 of 118
13 August 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
On my PC, I had to change Chrome to Japanese mode to get correct display
too, but now I tend
to use Firefox which handles Japanese a lot better...

A little play on my work W7 box today seems to confirm that the only thing to
get this wrong is Chrome. Everything else I tried (not just browsers, but any other
programs) just "did the right thing".

I even installed a font chooser under the advanced settings for font customisation, but
it still picked the Chinese fonts. I even went so far as to hunt out a few likely other
settings (Han and Simplified Han) and it still stubbornly insisted on using a
Chinese font.

I did switch the Chrome language to Japanese and that did fix it, but that's just too
much hassle when the rest of the PC is using English (and I'm not yet ready to switch
everything over to Japanese just yet!)

So it looks like this is not fixable in the current version of Chrome.

Maybe I'll work up the energy to file a bug report. Actually, maybe I won't
bother!

Edited by dampingwire on 13 August 2014 at 4:35pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 93 of 118
16 August 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
I've now finished activating all the N2 vocab in my Vocabulary deck: I just need to get
the (maybe 4000) reviews under control. That deck still has ~1800 words that I've not
activated yet (mostly from NHK News, text books etc.). I'm going to take my time doing
this as I'm in no rush.

I've decided that 彩雲国物語 is just too tough for me at the moment. It's full of types
of goblins and wizard's names and so on. The first page took me an hour to read
(intensively) and even when I eased up a little I was taking 30 mins per page and still
having trouble following the story. So I'm going to switch to an easier book. I don't
know which one yet: I'm just going to try each of them in turn until I find one I can
manage without that much difficulty.

I'm into the final week of 日本語総まとめ N2 文法. I've taken a sneak peek ahead and only
3 or 4 of the ~24 grammar points are new to me. So I'll probably be finished early with
this book. Or at least my first pass will finish early ... I'll certainly be coming
back to this one. Next up will be 新完全マスター N2 文法: I sat idly leafing through this
one earlier today for a quarter of an hour and, just like the N3 version, it seems much
more thorough than 総まとめ. I suppose the clue's in the name (summary vs perfection).
This one will give me plenty of Japanese reading practice too as everything is
in Japanese. I may dip back into All About Particles at various points for some light
relief!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 94 of 118
25 August 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I've decided that 彩雲国物語 is just too tough for me at the moment.

I picked ほのかなひかり and so far that's proving to be much more suitable. It's still
tough going and I have to work at it but I can read it semi-extensively and still get
something out of it. I've managed to get through ~50 pages of it in the last four days,
so this is the one I'll stick with for now. I did find that it used furigana in what
looked like odd places, but when I looked the words up I found that the kanji
representation chosen wasn't the common one, or in other cases kanji was used where
usually kana would be used. Despite that quirk I think I'll be able to get to the end
of this one (~280 pages in all).

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 95 of 118
28 August 2014 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Well the JLPT results are available on the website.

My predictions are as accurate as
ever and I've passed with A for Vocabulary and B for Grammar.

The marks were 39/60 (Language), 33/60 (Reading) and 28/60 (Listening) and a total of
100/180.

That would be scraping a C in any other exam I've taken in my life but Japanese is just
different, isn't it.

Anyway, I'm happy to have passed. So now I need to focus on passing N2.

Edited by dampingwire on 28 August 2014 at 12:06pm

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4558 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 96 of 118
28 August 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
合格おめでとうございます‼︎ Good luck with the N2!

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version