Diglot
Canada
Joined 4126 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 25 of 118
15 January 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
I really liked 日本人の知らない日本語. Reminded me of my time in a Japanese language school. Although, there weren't as many westerners in my school. 90% were from China, which I really liked, actually, because I got to hear Chinese and Shanghainese every day!

I like the guy who plays Jack, Blake Crawford I believe his name is. He was part of a Kabuki group from quite some time, which is super impressive for a foreigner. Guess we can all work hard to try to be like him. :)

Just as an aside because I see you speak French, there's a Canadian movie called French Immersion with a similar premise. It has a weird ending, but maybe it'd interest you...

Good luck with your goals! I don't suppose you're doing Tadoku? I don't really have any suggestions for reading, since I started reading pretty late in my Japanese studies so I don't know if the books I enjoyed reading would be around your level... Then again, I haven't read all that many novels.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 26 of 118
15 January 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Does manga count for your reading? If so, よつばと! is a must read. Cute, funny, and probably the easiest real Japanese you will ever read.

Another nice option which goes beyond graded readers for adult learners is graded readers for Japanese primary school kids. One of my favourites is the なぜ?どうして? series which attempts to answer typical science questions a primary school kid might come up with at a level they should understand.

When you feel ready for real grown up stuff, 村上春樹 is surprisingly accessible. The stories in the collection カンガルー日和 are very short, although I preferred the stories in the collection レキシントンの幽霊.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 27 of 118
17 January 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Sizen wrote:
I like the guy who plays Jack, Blake Crawford I believe his name is. He
was part of a Kabuki group from quite some time, which is super impressive for a
foreigner. Guess we can all work hard to try to be like him. :)

Wow. That's certainly something to aim for :-)

Sizen wrote:
Just as an aside because I see you speak French, there's a Canadian movie
called French Immersion with a similar premise. It has a weird ending, but maybe it'd
interest you...

Thanks. The reviews were not too good but the clip on youtube was quite funny. If those
subs are in the original then I guess that they think that the French speakers know
English well enough to get the humour anyway and the English crowd ... :-)

Sizen wrote:
I don't suppose you're doing Tadoku?

No, not yet. At the moment I have quite a lot of things to get done for Japanese (too
many perhaps!) and I don't think that I can fit in another challenge yet!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 28 of 118
17 January 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Does manga count for your reading?

I've never tried so I guess yes :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm slowly building up a list of "things to consider" for future reading. I'll probably
look to get more material when I manage to get through some of the stuff I've already
gone and bought.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 29 of 118
17 January 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to leave Kanji in Context for this month and maybe for the next. I seem to have
plenty on my plate and I'd rather do a few things right than lost of things in a slap-dash
way. I'm going to take it back to the office and put it in the cupboard next to the N2
materials so it doesn't sit there on the shelf sobbing gently and making me feel guilty :-)

I took a quick look at 完全マスタN3聴解. I think it's useful. There's probably 20-30 hours of
work in there. I think I'm going to keep the intensive listening of JPOD101 lessons going
for now: I've nearly finished S4. The further I go the fewer new vocabulary words crop up.
I'm adding them to Anki as I go along, but I've found that that part of the task I can
usefully do at lunchtimes in the office, which leaves the evenings free for pure listening.
I think I can finish off the last two Lower Intermediate series in February. That way I
could get through the book in March and maybe pass through it again in April. I'm not sure
that working through the book again will add that much since by then I'll probably be able
to remember the audio and the answers :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 30 of 118
20 January 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I reached the end of JPOD101 LI S4 for intensive listening and I decided to leave the
final two seasons for later on.

I've started to work through 完全マスターN3聴解.

It starts out with an example of each of the 5 sorts of question types to expect in the
Listening test. Then, rather than being further questions, it goes through various
listening drills such as detecting sound differences, examples of the various
abbreviations used in daily speech, hints on how to use verb forms to detect who is
speaking and/or who is performing the action.

So far, so good.

I'm managing a session every few days and each one takes between 30 and 45 minutes (but
that's because I stop after that, not because I've completed a whole section).

Assuming that the level of work involved doesn't change drastically then I should be
through the book by the end of February. At that point I think I'll probably go through
again but this time tracking my results more closely so I can focus on the more obvious
weak points.

This is the first time I've tackled a 完全マスター tome and so far I'm impressed both by
the depth and the way they ease you into the subject matter,

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 31 of 118
23 January 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I'm finding 完全マスターN3聴解 quite helpful I think. I'm about 25% of the way in and the
exercises are proving quite helpful. There are lots of hints in Japanese utterances
about who is asking whom for permission or help and so on: with some practice I should
be able to improve my ability in this area considerably. Similarly I need to sort out
the whole transitive/instransitive thing: basically I need to pay much more attention
to this as I learn verbs. I think if I concentrate my efforts in the areas being
highlighted I should be able to improve my listening comprehension quite considerably.
I'll most certainly be working through this book from cover to cover at least one more
time, probably more.

The grammar is going well too. I've been through 20 days worth of 日本語総まとめ N3 文法,
so I'm only a few days behind my target. I'm finding that it's easy enough to remember
the ideas behind each of the grammar point but one thing I sometimes don't get straight
in my head is the actual usage (e.g. is it N X or N の X etc.). So I think that's where
an Anki grammar deck may help. I'll see if I can put one together for 日本語総まとめ over
the weekend at least to cover the points I've been over so far. If that seems to prove
helpful, then I'll extend it to cover the non-obvious points in みんな の 日本語 too. So
far I've been skipping the 7th day in every week basically to give me more time to
forget the things I've covered before going over the longer revision tests. I'm now
planning to go through the whole book before then testing myself somewhat extensively.

Just one 日本人の知らない日本語 episode left and then I'll need new viewing material. There
seem to be a bunch of full length films on youtube plus various anime series and
whatnot.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 32 of 118
24 January 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I watched 七人の侍. Well, I watched the first 90m but by the time 1AM rolled around I gave
up and went to bed! I'll catch the rest of it on the download service, or I'll borrow the
DVD and watch it that way. Very interesting, I even understood some of the words!

Again on Film 4 (in the UK), tonight (Friday) at 9PM they're showing 十三人の刺客. That's a
much more reasonable length of time to find :-)

I'm fairly sure that the announcer suggested that in February there will be a series of
Japanese films - whether this was just Kurosawa films or Japanese films in general, I do
not remember.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version