Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 9 of 63
24 December 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Isn't ebonics a dialect? They spoke using the exact same vocabulary as I used to the only
difference was their accent. So that north-south thing is the reason for both the
existence of ebonics and the "accented" standard English?

Edited by gRodriguez on 24 December 2013 at 3:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5107 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 10 of 63
24 December 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
Most americans, I believe, can speak an English-influenced by AAVE to some extent, especially with the omnipresence of rap and hip hop in music and popular culture.

IMHO, most non-black American native English speakers can understand AAVE, but only those who live in predominantly black communities can also speak it like native AAVE speakers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3834 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 11 of 63
24 December 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
I noticed the same phenomenon in The Netherlands, and there the situation is probably similar: black native Dutch
speakers come originally from Suriname, Dutch colony where Dutch language was imposed. Paradoxically, the most
part of monolingual Dutch speakers are not Dutch. Also a significant number of people coming from abroad know
very well Dutch but not English. One day I had to order a mango pudding to a Vietnamese lady in Dutch (and I knew
even less Dutch than now). Sorry for the off topic :) However, I noticed that also in The Netherlands black people
tend to stay with other black people, reason that can partially explain why they talk with a completely different
accent.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5107 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 12 of 63
24 December 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
gRodriguez wrote:
Isn't ebonics a dialect? They spoke using the exact same vocabulary as I used to the only
difference was their accent. So that north-south thing is the reason for both the

Maybe what you had problems with was Southern American English (Youtube link), because some Blacks still maintain some kind of Southern American English accent, even if their ancestors moved away from the South generations ago.

3 persons have voted this message useful

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 13 of 63
24 December 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
gRodriguez wrote:
Isn't ebonics a dialect? They spoke using the
exact same vocabulary as I used to the only

Maybe what you had problems with was v=y25B1fz2R9g">Southern American English (Youtube link), because some Blacks still
maintain some kind of Southern American English accent, even if their ancestors moved
away from the South generations ago.

That's exactly what I heard, how an accent can last so many generations? And there
weren't any blacks living in the North?

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3784 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 14 of 63
24 December 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Most americans, I believe, can speak an English-influenced by AAVE to some extent, especially with the omnipresence of rap and hip hop in music and popular culture.

IMHO, most non-black American native English speakers can understand AAVE, but only those who live in predominantly black communities can also speak it like native AAVE speakers.

Sorry, I should have been more clear I suppose. I mean that most young americans can speak a little bit of ebonics; that is what I meant by some extent.

I mean things like, "man, I don't got nothing." (double negation not present in standard English)

You crazy, son.

So we was drinking when...

So I says...

Mannnn...why you gotta be tripping like dat?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 15 of 63
24 December 2013 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
I noticed the same phenomenon in The Netherlands, and there the
situation is probably similar: black native Dutch
speakers come originally from Suriname, Dutch colony where Dutch language was imposed.
Paradoxically, the most
part of monolingual Dutch speakers are not Dutch. Also a significant number of people
coming from abroad know
very well Dutch but not English. One day I had to order a mango pudding to a Vietnamese
lady in Dutch (and I knew
even less Dutch than now). Sorry for the off topic :) However, I noticed that also in
The Netherlands black people
tend to stay with other black people, reason that can partially explain why they talk
with a completely different
accent.

Yeah they clique. I love the accent though.

Guests
Guest Group
Joined 7163 days ago

0 - 22 votes
Logged on

Message 16 of 63
24 December 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
AAVE is just another dialect of English. It's as grammatical as any other dialect, but
because it's spoken primarily by poor black (and white!) people in urban areas, it's
pretty stigmatized.

Social class divides AAVE speakers from other dialects more than race.

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version