forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 49 of 63
30 December 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
gRodriguez wrote:
[...] it lists Latino as race which is [...] an European country colonizes a dark skinned continent and the modern population is dark skinned, but with European traces, what should be the obvious conclusion?

That being "white" is not about colours, but about being of Anglo-Saxon descent.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 50 of 63
30 December 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it's really that narrow, you'd have to go poking into some pretty darn regressive corners of American culture to find people who wouldn't consider Italians, Greeks, or Romanians "white." :-)

Edited by tastyonions on 30 December 2013 at 5:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 51 of 63
30 December 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I know some people from Quebec (French descent) who get offended when people do not realize they too are part of "Latin America."
2 persons have voted this message useful

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 52 of 63
30 December 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
gRodriguez wrote:
[...] it lists Latino as race which is [...] an European country colonizes a dark skinned continent and the modern population is dark skinned, but with European traces, what should be the obvious conclusion?

That being "white" is not about colours, but about being of Anglo-Saxon descent.

You are telling me that French,German, etc descendents aren't being taken into account on white? Really doubt that, and the article clearly says its about race not ethnicity or cultural background.

Edited by gRodriguez on 30 December 2013 at 10:45pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 53 of 63
30 December 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
I don't know if it's really that narrow [...]

I don't know either, but...

gRodriguez wrote:
You are telling me that French, German, etc. descendents aren't being taken into account on white? Really doubt that, and the article clearly says its about race not ethnicity or cultural background.

Yet it lists 'Latino' as 'race', which hints at how somebody is not even clear on a number of concepts as you pointed out yourself.

... I have a friend in LA whose mother is Mexican and he looks as white as me, or more -- yet he says he's considered non-white so, taking that at face value, I wouldn't be surprised if were "corrected" chose I to list my ethnicity as "white" somewhere in the US. Not that I care particularly, ruminating about it from abroad as I am.

If you ask me, the mere concept of "race" is rather regressive, because with the exception of people with really pure unmixed lineages who want their descendants to remain like that, any set of genes that could be used to define any one race is increasingly more unlikely to be present in its entirety in anybody, as racism and isolation fade away and people become more mixed. In short, whatever debatable sense it makes/made is doomed in the long run.

Right after the conquest of America, Spanish authorities had names for all the possible mixes of races (for example, half black, half Indian people were called "zambos", and there were terms for quarters, or even eighths of mixes I think -- a very interesting and linguistically rich field in itself). In the end, even them eventually gave up because there were too many possibilities and beyond a certain point no one really cared -- I guess you can't keep making up words forever :)

Edited by mrwarper on 30 December 2013 at 11:14pm

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 

Message 54 of 63
31 December 2013 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Your friend not being considered white because one of his first languages being
Spanish is just ridiculous.

Why to be considered white you need so much? To be black you merely have to have a skin
that is little dark and a parent that looks black enough, to be Asian you can be of any
skin color you just need to have those eyes, to be brown it doesn't matter where you
descend from or your appearance you only need to be brown skinned and not be native
american (and if you don't mention it you'll probably be called that anyway).

I also agree the race shouldn't be used, but since there a lack of a better word to
describe general appearance, I wind up using it. Why would the language you speak have
anything to do with "race"? Even South Park a show that I like very much (even though I
see a lot of flawed logic on it), which is generally smart in my opinion, has an
episode where numerous times they imply that even if you look white you are not white
if you speak Spanish. Example: Cartman merely changes his name and his accent and
suddenly does things that imply he is fooling people to think he is not white; Cartman
speaks with very light skinned Hispanic girl about how if she acted like a white girl
she would be like them.

Edited by gRodriguez on 31 December 2013 at 12:30am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4676 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 55 of 63
31 December 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
"Race" is a social construct that varies by country and by time. For the US, "Latino"
is not considered a race.

US Census Bureau wrote:
The racial categories included in the census questionnaire
generally reflect a social definition of race recognized in this country and not an
attempt to define race biologically, anthropologically, or genetically. In addition, it
is recognized that the categories of the race item include racial and national origin
or sociocultural groups. People may choose to report more than one race to indicate
their racial mixture, such as “American Indian” and “White.” People who identify their
origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race.

OMB requires five minimum categories: White, Black or African American, American Indian
or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 

Message 56 of 63
31 December 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Isn't there an official anthropologic categorization: Caucasoid, Australoid, Negroid, etc?

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version