United States
Joined 5167 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 57 of 63
31 December 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
I don't believe the Negroid, etc terms are used any longer, at least not in common usage.

That was a good idea to post the census bureau, Kanewai. "Latino" is usually indicating a connection to the Latino culture more than a race per se. Most forms I've filled out have a "white/non Hispanic" and a "white, Hispanic" option. Don't ask me why, but the point of filling out the forms are for demographics so they want to be specific I suppose. My sister's children are European descent White on our side of the family, and Hispanic/Native American on my brother in law's side. They identify themselves as "Latino" or sometimes Latino/Swedish (really more Scots Irish but there was a Swedish great grandfather which I think my nephew finds interesting!)

Every country's racial and ethnic history is somewhat different. I think people tend to self identify with what culture they come from. There are people of mixed race who may "look" one way or another, but they identify as white, black, latino, etc. The US unfortunately has a history of slavery and legal segregation which have left echoes in modern society. In the early days, they found it necessary to strictly define who was which race so that the social rules could be enforced. Horrifying really.....ever heard of the 3/5ths rule?

I just hope we are moving in the right direction. Certainly there is always room for improvement.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 58 of 63
31 December 2013 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
gRodriguez wrote:
Your friend not being considered white because one of his first languages being Spanish is just ridiculous.

It gets even better. To add insult to injury, he didn't even speak an iota of Spanish before leaving the US (I just said his mother is Mexican, but she may be half-Mexican, I don't remember exactly) -- I met him when he came to Spain to learn the language.

Quote:
Why to be considered white you need so much? To be black you merely...

I don't know, maybe my friend is too open about his mother descent -- maybe all you need to be considered white if you look white is merely omitting anything that may sound Spanish / Hispanic / whatever.

There's been lots of people passing off as white / black / native American, etc. for different reason in the US in the last century, so we know it can be done and apparently there's not much interest in checking it either.
2 persons have voted this message useful

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 59 of 63
31 December 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
gRodriguez wrote:
Your friend not being considered white because one
of his first languages being Spanish is just ridiculous.

It gets even better. To add insult to injury, he didn't even speak an iota of Spanish
before leaving the US (I just said his mother is Mexican, but she may be half-Mexican,
I don't remember exactly) -- I met him when he came to Spain to learn the language.

Quote:
Why to be considered white you need so much? To be black you merely...

I don't know, maybe my friend is too open about his mother descent -- maybe all you
need to be considered white if you look white is merely omitting anything that may
sound Spanish / Hispanic / whatever.

There's been lots of people passing off as white / black / native American, etc. for
different reason in the US in the last century, so we know it can be done and
apparently there's not much interest in checking it either.

Are you sure that's exactly what he meant? Did all (or almost all) people that knew
about his mother didn't consider him white? Or did he say something like: "People say I
am not white because my mother is Mexican" without adding much detail?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 60 of 63
31 December 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
gRodriguez wrote:
Are you sure that's exactly [...]

The whole thing was quite innocent, and I didn't dig much deeper.

We met at the school where he was studying Spanish and I knew there were some black students in the centre so I asked if all students in his group were white. He said that he wasn't white. He looked perfectly white so I imagined he might have some black grandparent(s) or something and I asked him how so. Then he told me about his mother being Mexican. He seemed happy with that state of things so I thought it was funny and left it at that.

Back to the thread, I assumed that if somebody says "I'm not white", then he's generally not considered white. Reality can be of course more complex, sorry if I did mislead you.

BTW my friend is a Californian with no remarkable accent in English that I could perceive, but he would always crack up jokes about "Valley girls" and their accent and ways of speaking. He even made an impersonation so I could see the difference -- boy was he right. I asked him about Mexican accents but he couldn't do it :)

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3815 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 61 of 63
01 January 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
gRodriguez wrote:
Are you sure that's exactly [...]

The whole thing was quite innocent, and I didn't dig much deeper.

We met at the school where he was studying Spanish and I knew there were some black
students in the centre so I asked if all students in his group were white. He said that
he wasn't white. He looked perfectly white so I imagined he might have some black
grandparent(s) or something and I asked him how so. Then he told me about his mother
being Mexican. He seemed happy with that state of things so I thought it was funny and
left it at that.

Back to the thread, I assumed that if somebody says "I'm not white", then he's
generally not considered white. Reality can be of course more complex, sorry if I did
mislead you.

BTW my friend is a Californian with no remarkable accent in English that I could
perceive, but he would always crack up jokes about "Valley girls" and their accent and
ways of speaking. He even made an impersonation so I could see the difference -- boy
was he right. I asked him about Mexican accents but he couldn't do it :)

I can see you are in Spain right now, are you Spanish? Because if you are I think your
friend's "problem" had more to do with the fact that his mother is mixed (like 95% of
all Mexicans) than with the fact she speaks Spanish.

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 62 of 63
01 January 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
"White" can also be a cultural reference to being not just white but part of mainstream, non minority, American culture. So your friend may have been making more of a statement about his cultural identity than actually measuring how pale his skin was. A person who identifies as Latino/Hispanic, Black, Asian, Native, etc might very well say, "oh no, I'm not white - my mother is Mexican".
4 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4559 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 63 of 63
01 January 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
DaisyMaisy wrote:
"White" can also be a cultural reference to being not just white but part of mainstream, non minority, American culture.
Reminds me of a story a college friend of mine told me. He was born in Russia, but moved to the US at an early age and spent most of his childhood in Birmingham, Alabama. His mother used to work as a piano tutor there, and one day they randomly ran into the (black) mother of a former student of hers at an airport. She was accompanied not by the student herself, but by her younger sister who was too young to remember who my friend's mother was. The two mothers had a friendly chat and hugged each other before parting. After that my friend overheard the little girl asking "Momma, why did you hug that white lady?", to which she replied "Nah, she ain't white, she's Russian" :D

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version