United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 9 of 12
31 December 2013 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, greatdaytonihon! Dampingwire has given you great advice regarding
the kanji, so I won't add any :) Looking forward to following your progress this year!

@tristano: The team log is here. This one
here is greatdaytonihon's personal log :) Follow the link and you can add your log to the
roster. Hope that helps!
1 person has voted this message useful

greatdaytonihon
United States
Joined 3825 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 12
01 January 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Yay! It's finally January 1st. Time to start. What's the weather like where you guys are at? Instead of having
a snowy Christmas, we got a snowy New Years! It's amazing.

My goal for this challenge is to just try to consistently study Japanese and also find the time to post
updates and read my fellow teammates logs. Already I am getting overwhelmed with "overplanning" things
since it is the New Years. It's definitely going to be part of my New Year's Resolution to stop overthinking
things and just do. Today I am going to study some kanji with RTK (props dampingwire!) and maybe some
vocab...Since I'm still relatively new to Japanese, I'm gonna focus on building a core. Some kanji, some
vocab, some grammar with Genki..and then just sharpen the saw:)

greatdaytonihon
United States
Joined 3825 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 11 of 12
01 January 2014 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
1-1-14

I started studying RTK.. I managed to get to #349 stroke orders. Now I have to let it
settle in my head for a
bit before I start anymore...
I wish there was somewhere where you could input kanjis you know and it'll give you
vocab containing just
those kanjis and/or kana. I'll have to look

1-3-14
Working on a computer is really so boring! I'm looking into apps for flashcards and
stuff for my phone and
tablet so that I can get away from sitting at my desk studying.

1-4-14
I realized that studying in large bursts of like ~300 cards was not a good idea.
Instead, I took all the RTK words and split them in groups of 30. I've finally found a
way to study away from the computer and already I can see that I am more productive in
conjunction with the sets of 30. I started at kanji group 8 and stopped at 19 as of
now...I'll probably do one more to round it up to 20 just cause it looks nicer. I
realized that while studying keyword->kanji was very helpful, I also wanted to add some
vocab lists into the mix. I started on vocab group 2 and ended at the start of
9...again I'll probably do some rounding off, lol.

My plan is basically to go through RTK while accumulating vocabulary in form of
(eng-
>kana) so that when I finally learn all the RTK, I can work on kana->kanji in step 2...
This seems to be unnecessary work, though. Separating eng->kana->kanji as opposed to
learning eng->kanji(kana) but I'm not sure how to fix that without making it more
overwhelming for me. Thoughts?

Edited by greatdaytonihon on 05 January 2014 at 1:57am

greatdaytonihon
United States
Joined 3825 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 12 of 12
09 January 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
1-5-12
1-6-12
1-7-12
1-8-12
1-9-12

Zero days

Ugh, it is so frustrating even having to write that but I have had consecutive zero days since the new
school year. I just recently doubled up on biology classes, so my load is very science-heavy now with
labs at night. I actually dropped my Japanese course because I realized that I sort've don't like learning a
language in a school environment. I am definitely going to have to reconvene on Saturday and decide
what it is I am going to do about all these zero days.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version