Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Egyptian Arabic - are there sub-dialects?

Tags: Arabic
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 1 of 7
24 December 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I've just started to wake up my dormant Arabic - I can still read but slowly.
Initially I am concentrating on MSA and will then move on to Egyptian Arabic because a) there are more films in that dialect than almost all the others put together
b) most of my travelling in the Middle East has been to Egypt or Morocco but I can't find materials for Moroccan Arabic - I've also heard that Moroccan Arabic is not that well understood by other Arabic speakers.

My question is whether there are sub-dialects of the Egyptian dialect - eg out in the Sinai, down in Luxor etc?

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
24 December 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it's considered an Egyptian dialect, but a lot of people in the Sinai
are ethnic Bedouin, and their Arabic was closer to what I head in Jordan (and thus, for
me, they were much easier to understand than anyone in the Nile Valley).

Friends in Cairo say that they have a hard time understanding people from the western
oases, and in particular Siwa. They say they sound more "Libyan."

The culture in the far south, near Aswan, was a blend of Nubian and mainstream
Egyptian. My Arabic wasn't good enough to tell if the dialect was different also.

I don't know if any of this would affect your studies, though. The main choices for
Arabic seem to be MSA, Egyptian, Levantine, or Gulf. Maghrebi and the other dialects
don't seem to 'cross over' as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 3 of 7
25 December 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
That's useful - I'd heard that Siwa was substantially different AND your thought that Jordanian Arabic was closer.

Let's hope that in 6 months I can tell the difference!

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4449 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 7
27 December 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Yes, there are indeed sub-dialects, and that goes for almost every Arab country, for that matter.

The Cairene dialect is what is featured in most Egyptian Arabic courses. Saidi Arabic, which is usually used to refer
to the Arabic spoken in the Nile Delta region (such as Alexandria) is a little different; for example, the letter "jeem" is
pronounced more emphatically like in "jam," rather, than Cairene's "g" as in "game."

As kanewai stated, western Egyptian Arabic is closer to Libyan than it is to some Egyptian dialects, and the dialects
in Luxor and southern Egypt are also somewhat different. However, most Egyptian dialects are largely mutually
intelligible (though at first it may require some close listening, depending on which sub-dialect you encounter).
Sudanese Arabic is largely intelligible with Egyptian Arabic as well. Something that is rather interesting is that
sometimes urban dialects from different countries (such as those of Cairo vs. Amman, etc.) may be more mutually
intelligible at first than urban vs. rural dialects in the same country. In all, however, Mashriqi dialects are quite
mutually intelligible. The only outliers I can think of (in some cases) are Yemeni and Iraqi Arabic.

Maghrebi Arabic is divergent compared to most other dialects, but this is mainly due to the distinct pronunciation
(its phonology and speech rhythm seems closer to Berber than to the relatively-vowel-rich Mashriqi dialects), rather
than grammar. Vocabulary also plays a factor, since Berber loan words are generally unique to Moroccan and
Algerian; also, there is a greater prominence of French loan words.

5 persons have voted this message useful

IDRIS
Triglot
Sudan
Joined 3800 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Arabic (classical)*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Malay, Russian

Message 5 of 7
28 December 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there are sub-dialects, regional as well as social. The most pronounced difference is between Lower Egypt and Upper Egypt.. But there are minor differences between dialects within the same region. For example, the dialects of Cairo and Alexandria are very similar, but there are still some features that distinguish the Alexandrian dialect from that of Cairo. There are also some differences between rural and urban areas..

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5643 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 6 of 7
29 December 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Could you give us some examples of the differences between the Cairo and Alexandria dialects, IDRIS?

IDRIS
Triglot
Sudan
Joined 3800 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Arabic (classical)*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Malay, Russian

Message 7 of 7
29 December 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
There is the traditional Alexandrian dialect which has its own unique features, but I think not everyone in Alexandria speaks it as the city is now home to many people who moved to it from other parts of the country. However, one feature that is quite clear is how verbs are pronounced. For example, ‘You’ve grown up’ in Cairo is ‘Kibert’, while in Alexandria it’s ‘Kabart’. If you want to listen to the traditional Alexandrian dialect, go to Youtube and watch one or two episodes of an Egyptian drama series called ‘زيزينيا’.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version